[ALTERNATIVE] Root Mi A1 with TWRP Without disabling Ota

Search This thread

Parnas72

Question: the original method implies the boot of a "patched boot image". Why your alternative method skips this step?
Because the bootloader is patched by the Magisk Installer when you run it via TWRP; the "original" method just starts the phone from a bootloader patched by someone else (probably with this method), which seems a bit pointless to me since anyway you need to patch it yourself when you install Magisk.

Reactions: AsusGhost

emiljano539

Jan 4, 2017
After unistalling magisk via TWRP i'm getting no command android error and can't boot to the system. The only way to reboot is to flash again magisk via twrp. Tried to clear dalvik cache but still the same thing. What to do ? Im running Pie the first update

freekarol

Feb 27, 2015
After unistalling magisk via TWRP i'm getting no command android error and can't boot to the system. The only way to reboot is to flash again magisk via twrp. Tried to clear dalvik cache but still the same thing. What to do ? Im running Pie the first update
How did you root your phone? This alternative method is about flashing Magisk.zip via TWRP(TWRP is not installed). No patch image is needed.

Odesláno z mého Mi A1 pomocí Tapatalk

emiljano539

Jan 4, 2017
How did you root your phone? This alternative method is about flashing Magisk.zip via TWRP(TWRP is not installed). No patch image is needed.

Odesláno z mého Mi A1 pomocí Tapatalk

The "no command" screen is the stock recovery. Reflash the stock bootloader on both slots and you should be fine.
Link? Previously i got the ota update with this trick. Thanks

Supercharlie25

Feb 8, 2014
Madrid
Not working on stock Pie

Succesfully rooted on 10.3; today a new small update appeared and recieved "instalation error" even when i unistalled magisk from twrp with the magisk unistaller. Rooted it previously exactly as the guide shows. Kind of fed up with recieving errors everytime a new update comes. **** Google and its security mechanisms.

freekarol

Feb 27, 2015
I had a similar problem see the screenshot. That's why I still have an October update. I'm waiting when Android Pie will be bugs free and then I try to flash stock ROM. Screenshot_20181125-235653.jpeg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may imagine this simple guide will show you how to root your device with magisk from twrp recovery.
    I know, there is already a guide by jashancheema that shows how to root this device, however it's difficult to update the system once you are rooted. In my opinion the way i'm about to show you is faster and easier.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for ANY damage done to your phone, act at your own risk.

That's how you can root your phone with magisk and recovery without disabling ota.

1. First download magisk manager and magisk flashable zip from here (official thread)
    Install magisk manager and copy the magisk flashable zip somewhere in your device or sd.

2. Download mohancm twrp recovery (recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo) from here (official thread)
    NOTE: do not download the installer, you need the .img file bootable from fastboot (recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img)

3. Copy recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img into the fastboot folder.

4. Enable developer option from in the device, enable OEM unlocking.

5. turn off your device and enter into fastboot mode by holding voume down + power button, then connect your device to the pc.

6. now open fastboot and type this to check the connection, if the terminal return an andress your phone is correctly configured.
    Code:
    fastboot devices

7. type this from fastboot to unlock your bootloader.
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

8. now type this to boot your recovery (REMEMBER TO COPY THE RECOVERY IMG INTO THE FASTBOOT FOLDER)
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img

9. once your recovey boot flash the magisk zip and reboot.
    NOTE: do not install or flash twrp into your device or you won't be able to update through ota.

---------------------HOW TO UPDATE-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you will receive the update the only thing you need to do is boot twrp, flash magisk unistaller (that you can find here ) and update.

1. type this to boot your recovery (REMEMBER TO COPY THE RECOVERY IMG INTO THE FASTBOOT FOLDER)
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img

2. flash magisk unistaller from recovey

3. Update your system

4. Repeat the same procedure to root again your device.

If you are italian and you need any help you can find it here, the serious telegram community.
    https://t.me/XiaomiMiA1Italia
    Special thanks to @samuele94 and @TheRealajeje from the telegram group.
    All works!!! :good::good::good::good::good:
    Are you sure it will not wipe data on unlocking the bootlaoder ... On July 1 2018 security patch ??

Anyone please cnfrm this ??

Yes, will wipe all data, you need backup
    How did you get the ota then? Im still stuck in july ota [emoji26][emoji26] don't want to flash from scratch
    I dirty flash full stock roms in twrp.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    Question: the original method implies the boot of a "patched boot image". Why your alternative method skips this step?
    Because the bootloader is patched by the Magisk Installer when you run it via TWRP; the "original" method just starts the phone from a bootloader patched by someone else (probably with this method), which seems a bit pointless to me since anyway you need to patch it yourself when you install Magisk.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone