Question Alternatives to Pixel 6 pro?

Search This thread

Pr20

Jul 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Like many others I am not sure when I'll even get it. Ordered it 5 pm ET on 19th. No update. Doubt I'll get it anytime soon. And obviously need a phone kinda now.

What are the options for a quality flagship? As far as I can see

Mi 11 ultra
S21 ultra
One plus 9 pro

Anything I am missing?

For the above the way I see it next gen is in a few months but I obviously can't wait.

Thanks in advance for any help. Appreciate it.

Sammae7

May 21, 2013
I've been trying to find a manufacturer to stick with after bouncing around a lot over the years. I was hoping that Google would be it with the new devices. Not quite sure on that. If I return this, I'm sticking with Samsung. I'm on Verizon, so most of the alternative devices (Xiaomi and the likes) are a no go.

My only issues with Samsung is they stick ads in everything and they have their separate store for updating some of their apps. They need to remove both of those.

Reactions: Pr20

Pr20

Jul 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I've been trying to find a manufacturer to stick with after bouncing around a lot over the years. I was hoping that Google would be it with the new devices. Not quite sure on that. If I return this, I'm sticking with Samsung. I'm on Verizon, so most of the alternative devices (Xiaomi and the likes) are a no go.

My only issues with Samsung is they stick ads in everything and they have their separate store for updating some of their apps. They need to remove both of those.

Didn't realize Xiaomi and the rest are no good with Verizon? Are they ok with ATT or T Mobile?

Sammae7

May 21, 2013
Yes. They work much better there. It mostly has to do with GMA and CDMA frequencies. AT&T and T-Mobile use GMA while Sprint and Verizon heavily rely on CDMA, which I guess is slowly changing. Verizon also likes to heavily limit what devices they allow on their network.

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I mean, I agree, but it's not a huge deal. It auto-updates just like the play store does. Worst case scenario you check it once a month after the software update. /shrug

If I was ABSOLUTELY going to get a phone now, and I wasn't getting a pixel, I'd get a Oneplus 9 Pro. It's actually a great device, it just has **** software. Root it, and put a pixel experience ROM on it, and it's damn near identical to the 6 Pro. I actually think I like the hardware/feel of the 9 Pro better, especially in the pine green color.

Podster16

Mar 31, 2017
Like many others I am not sure when I'll even get it. Ordered it 5 pm ET on 19th. No update. Doubt I'll get it anytime soon. And obviously need a phone kinda now.

What are the options for a quality flagship? As far as I can see

Mi 11 ultra
S21 ultra
One plus 9 pro

Anything I am missing?

For the above the way I see it next gen is in a few months but I obviously can't wait.

Thanks in advance for any help. Appreciate it.
looked at the MI11 Ultra just can't find anywhere to buy one

Reactions: Pr20

combat goofwing

Mar 3, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I was like you ,was always a HTC fan ......then they went off the boil over from, them to the essential phone ,which was awesome and massively under rated ,when they didn't survive I moved to the one plus 6t loved it and moved to the one plus 8 pro .....but they seem to be going away from op attraction now ,so now the pixel 6 pro
From a op only things I miss are warp charge alert slider ......unless your a i sheep or Samsunh fan boy then I think it's always going to be jumping to what's best at the time

Sammae7

May 21, 2013
I did love OnePlus, but they're utterly crappy camera (in the past) had me move away from them. I hear they've greatly improved that. At the end of the day, Samsung probably offers the best all around package with the least agitations for me, currently. They've made great strides in their UI, bloat, and ad invasiveness. They still have a long way to go, though.

I'll hold on to this P6P for a week or so and put it though the ringer. If it doesn't smooth out, I'll just use my 4A 5G until the new line of Samsung's roll out as I've already sold both my S21 and S21+ to family.

crescentmage

Sep 17, 2007
Yes. They work much better there. It mostly has to do with GMA and CDMA frequencies. AT&T and T-Mobile use GMA while Sprint and Verizon heavily rely on CDMA, which I guess is slowly changing. Verizon also likes to heavily limit what devices they allow on their network.

To be a little more clear, the issue comes down to frequencies rather than technology right now. With LTE, all U.S. carriers are using the same standard that the rest of the world uses. Same with 5G. Verizon and Sprint's (now T-Mobile's) CDMA networks will be shut down next year. While Verizon has some limitations on devices on their network, AT&T has actually become far more restrictive.

The real issue is the frequency bands that the carriers use for LTE and 5G. For example, T-Mobile has nationwide LTE and 5G coverage using band 71, but almost no other carriers in the world use it, which means that most phones sold in Europe and Asia won't work on one of T-Mobile's primary bands and T-Mobile customers may not get service without it. Verizon and AT&T just picked up a bunch of C-band spectrum that T-Mobile and much of the world aren't using for 5G. They also have mmWave 5G using bands that aren't widely used outside the U.S. right now as well. Though mmWave is only deployed in a small number of high-density urban areas.

One of the great things about the P6P is that the U.S. model has basically all of the frequencies used in the U.S. and most other countries, including mmWave.

In terms of phones, if you want compatibility with U.S. carriers (particularly T-Mobile on band 71), flagship specs, and the ability to unlock a bootloader and root, you have very few options right now. OnePlus and Google are the big ones, as Samsung locks their bootloaders for models with U.S. frequencies. Asus, Motorola, and Sony have a couple phones that will work as well. This site is a good resource for phones that work with T-Mobile (and often Verizon and AT&T too).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To be a little more clear, the issue comes down to frequencies rather than technology right now. With LTE, all U.S. carriers are using the same standard that the rest of the world uses. Same with 5G. Verizon and Sprint's (now T-Mobile's) CDMA networks will be shut down next year. While Verizon has some limitations on devices on their network, AT&T has actually become far more restrictive.

The real issue is the frequency bands that the carriers use for LTE and 5G. For example, T-Mobile has nationwide LTE and 5G coverage using band 71, but almost no other carriers in the world use it, which means that most phones sold in Europe and Asia won't work on one of T-Mobile's primary bands and T-Mobile customers may not get service without it. Verizon and AT&T just picked up a bunch of C-band spectrum that T-Mobile and much of the world aren't using for 5G. They also have mmWave 5G using bands that aren't widely used outside the U.S. right now as well. Though mmWave is only deployed in a small number of high-density urban areas.

One of the great things about the P6P is that the U.S. model has basically all of the frequencies used in the U.S. and most other countries, including mmWave.

In terms of phones, if you want compatibility with U.S. carriers (particularly T-Mobile on band 71), flagship specs, and the ability to unlock a bootloader and root, you have very few options right now. OnePlus and Google are the big ones, as Samsung locks their bootloaders for models with U.S. frequencies. Asus, Motorola, and Sony have a couple phones that will work as well. This site is a good resource for phones that work with T-Mobile (and often Verizon and AT&T too).
    Xperia 1 III is at the top of my list if I decide not to keep my p6p.

I held off on it originally because I was concerned with battery life and its questionable 5G capability in the US. Now that I realize the p6p has similar issues, the Xperia looks more attractive.

Also I was concerned about the skinny aspect ratio of the Sony, but with the curved edge on the Pixel, it makes the edges effectively worthless, so the Sony might actually feel wider.

The only downside for me now is the Xperia has a very limited developer pool, while the pixel will be sky's the limit for modding.
    I mean, I agree, but it's not a huge deal. It auto-updates just like the play store does. Worst case scenario you check it once a month after the software update. /shrug

If I was ABSOLUTELY going to get a phone now, and I wasn't getting a pixel, I'd get a Oneplus 9 Pro. It's actually a great device, it just has **** software. Root it, and put a pixel experience ROM on it, and it's damn near identical to the 6 Pro. I actually think I like the hardware/feel of the 9 Pro better, especially in the pine green color.
    Very very strange, I'm off to the car showroom now
    I did love OnePlus, but they're utterly crappy camera (in the past) had me move away from them. I hear they've greatly improved that. At the end of the day, Samsung probably offers the best all around package with the least agitations for me, currently. They've made great strides in their UI, bloat, and ad invasiveness. They still have a long way to go, though.

I'll hold on to this P6P for a week or so and put it though the ringer. If it doesn't smooth out, I'll just use my 4A 5G until the new line of Samsung's roll out as I've already sold both my S21 and S21+ to family.