Question Alternatives to Pixel 6 pro?

Search This thread

Norma Stitz

Jan 2, 2011
Redmond
LG V10
LG V20
Xperia 1 III is at the top of my list if I decide not to keep my p6p.

I held off on it originally because I was concerned with battery life and its questionable 5G capability in the US. Now that I realize the p6p has similar issues, the Xperia looks more attractive.

Also I was concerned about the skinny aspect ratio of the Sony, but with the curved edge on the Pixel, it makes the edges effectively worthless, so the Sony might actually feel wider.

The only downside for me now is the Xperia has a very limited developer pool, while the pixel will be sky's the limit for modding.

Last edited:

awsan

Apr 22, 2015
Oneplus 9 pro is 799 on bestbuy and heard one guy was able to get the green one for 650 somehow not sure what he did tho.

Reactions: Pr20

az93civic

I came from a OnePlus 9 Pro (which I have for sale, if you're interested)... Personally, I use a lot of Google's integrations which is why I switched from the OnePlus 9 to the Google Pixel 6 Pro. Biggest drawback for me so far....face unlock and fast fingerprint scanner.

Reactions: galaxys

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
OnePlus 9 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I came from a OnePlus 9 Pro (which I have for sale, if you're interested)... Personally, I use a lot of Google's integrations which is why I switched from the OnePlus 9 to the Google Pixel 6 Pro. Biggest drawback for me so far....face unlock and fast fingerprint scanner.
Also came from the OnePlus 9 Pro but will be holding onto it for a little longer....So far the 6 Pro works a treat!

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I ended up buying the OnePlus 9 Pro because it's lighter, brighter and has/will have better custom ROM support.
Already got it rooted and flashed crDroid ROM on it. So far, so good.

I don't take a lot of pictures, so the camera wasn't as important to me.

Man, what a MASSIVE improvement over my Pixel 3 XL in every way imporant to me.
I was expecting a subtle improvement but this is way faster and way brighter.

A tad heavier but much lighter than the 6 Pro.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
I ended up buying the OnePlus 9 Pro because it's lighter, brighter and has/will have better custom ROM support.
Already got it rooted and flashed crDroid ROM on it. So far, so good.

I don't take a lot of pictures, so the camera wasn't as important to me.

Man, what a MASSIVE improvement over my Pixel 3 XL in every way imporant to me.
I was expecting a subtle improvement but this is way faster and way brighter.

A tad heavier but much lighter than the 6 Pro.
Traded my OP 9 Pro for a 6 Pro and couldn't be happier. Battery is a huge improvement and cameras are a nice upgrade with the Pixel. Hope yours treats you well.

Reactions: galaxys

NewDev4IOS

Sep 1, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I was able to get mine either October 29-30 by buying the pixel with pixel pass or play pass whatever it's called, if I did direct buy it showed either out of stock or the earliest delivery would be the beginning of January. You might be able to boost your chances of getting it earlier by doing this instead of the direct buyout. I guess Google may have had an extra reserve set exclusively for the play pass purchasers.

Pr20

Jul 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Ended up getting the pixel Pro 2 days ago.

No issues as such. I find the fingerprint reader a little finicky.

Battery could be better I guess. SOT of 6h yesterday.

I think if I'd get an alternative it would be the vivo x70 pro plus. But the available bands and reception would be an issue.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Ended up getting the pixel Pro 2 days ago.

No issues as such. I find the fingerprint reader a little finicky.

Battery could be better I guess. SOT of 6h yesterday.

I think if I'd get an alternative it would be the vivo x70 pro plus. But the available bands and reception would be an issue.
I like how people never mention the ****load of nice, "exclusive" software features that make a Pixel special. Just take now playing or live translate as an example - even without an Internet connection, you immediately know every song that might be played somewhere in a café, and can translate any language you might encounter, any sign you might find interesting, even in a remote forest with no GPS or LTE. Or Live Caption - decent subtitles to EVERY content running on your phone, perfect for watching videos in a subway or bus. Heck, you can even have Sound Notifications, that warn you if your phone hears a baby crying, a dog howling, an alarm or fire. And all of that offline (!) with a negligible background drain, that stands the comparison with other manufacturers by a few %. But those things never get mentioned, it's only "muh my Galaxy S21+ that kills 95% of all Apps runs 9,53% longer! its offline feature is called a camera! big muchos better phone! Pixel sh*tus maximus!" - ah, yes. Ok.

Or just take GCam as an example - sure, sure, some DXO mark dudes often claim that Google is not on top, but then I see all those OnePlusers, Samsungers, Huaweiers or Xiaomis how they desperately try to get a GCam Port to function on their devices - because their stock software sucks and Googles is great, but only few want to admit that openly.

People who believe that Pixels are Hardware phones, do not understand what a Pixel is all about. It's about Software. Hardware is just "nice to have", as long as it works, noice. But the primary advantage that a Pixel has, is its Software, the updates and feature packs that give users new stuff to play around with every couple month.

Last edited:

crescentmage

Sep 17, 2007
I'd been using a poco f3 in chicago without issues for months and it wasn't any worse than my 4xl was.

International phones tend to have the older, mid-bands (PCS, AWS) which are shorter range but common in large metro areas where T-Mobile has historically had coverage.

They tend to be missing low bands (12, 71) that T-Mobile has been relying on for their recent rollouts, particularly in more rural areas. For example, a lot of northern Michigan relies on those low bands completely for coverage. If you rarely leave large metro areas, it is less likely to be a problem (though you still may lose out on some bandwidth).

Pr20

Jul 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I like how people never mention the ****load of nice, "exclusive" software features that make a Pixel special. People who believe that Pixels are Hardware phones, do not understand what a Pixel is all about. It's about Software. Hardware is just "nice to have", as long as it works, noice. But the primary advantage that a Pixel has, is its Software, the updates and feature packs that give users new stuff to play around with every couple month.
Sure. I am more of a hardware person, by which I mean I am more into display (prefer notch/hole less like mi mix 4) battery life, charging etc. But need a new phone. And I like to go to something other than the usual.

So far so good with he pixel Pro 6.

Norma Stitz

Jan 2, 2011
Redmond
LG V10
LG V20
I like how people never mention the ****load of nice, "exclusive" software features that make a Pixel special. Just take now playing or live translate as an example - even without an Internet connection, you immediately know every song that might be played somewhere in a café, and can translate any language you might encounter, any sign you might find interesting, even in a remote forest with no GPS or LTE. Or Live Caption - decent subtitles to EVERY content running on your phone, perfect for watching videos in a subway or bus. Heck, you can even have Sound Notifications, that warn you if your phone hears a baby crying, a dog howling, an alarm or fire. And all of that offline (!) with a negligible background drain, that stands the comparison with other manufacturers by a few %. But those things never get mentioned, it's only "muh my Galaxy S21+ that kills 95% of all Apps runs 9,53% longer! its offline feature is called a camera! big muchos better phone! Pixel sh*tus maximus!" - ah, yes. Ok.

Or just take GCam as an example - sure, sure, some DXO mark dudes often claim that Google is not on top, but then I see all those OnePlusers, Samsungers, Huaweiers or Xiaomis how they desperately try to get a GCam Port to function on their devices - because their stock software sucks and Googles is great, but only few want to admit that openly.

People who believe that Pixels are Hardware phones, do not understand what a Pixel is all about. It's about Software. Hardware is just "nice to have", as long as it works, noice. But the primary advantage that a Pixel has, is its Software, the updates and feature packs that give users new stuff to play around with every couple month.

This definitely weighs my decision, but as you mention, I assume that many of these features will eventually be ported over to other phones by enthusiasts. I can't sideload better thermals, a brighter screen, or a headphone jack to my Pixel. I might be able to sideload Pixel software to a Xiaomi though. Of course, this never seems to work quite as well as on the native hardware, so you just have find a compromise that you're happy with.

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Plain Pixel 6 is the only other real option I see. I'm a bit on the fence which to order (I'm on a Pixel 3, but miss the screen size of my Nexus 6).

I have a Samsung tablet, and man, while their software has gotten better, it is still a mess of duplicate apps for everything. For those folks saying they need SD and headphone, then Sony is the ONLY option. From as many times as I have heard that comment, I'm surprised Sony hasn't sold millions of phones this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norma Stitz

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Plain Pixel 6 is the only other real option I see. I'm a bit on the fence which to order (I'm on a Pixel 3, but miss the screen size of my Nexus 6).

I have a Samsung tablet, and man, while their software has gotten better, it is still a mess of duplicate apps for everything. For those folks saying they need SD and headphone, then Sony is the ONLY option. From as many times as I have heard that comment, I'm surprised Sony hasn't sold millions of phones this year.
Now that I have looked at the 6 and 6pro, I am getting the plain 6. I really like the telephoto on the Pro, but the curved screen doesn't feel good in the hand. Might be cured by a case, but I found the plain 6 nicer to hold and I really couldn't tell the screens apart at arms length, aside from a bit of colour temperature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes. They work much better there. It mostly has to do with GMA and CDMA frequencies. AT&T and T-Mobile use GMA while Sprint and Verizon heavily rely on CDMA, which I guess is slowly changing. Verizon also likes to heavily limit what devices they allow on their network.

To be a little more clear, the issue comes down to frequencies rather than technology right now. With LTE, all U.S. carriers are using the same standard that the rest of the world uses. Same with 5G. Verizon and Sprint's (now T-Mobile's) CDMA networks will be shut down next year. While Verizon has some limitations on devices on their network, AT&T has actually become far more restrictive.

The real issue is the frequency bands that the carriers use for LTE and 5G. For example, T-Mobile has nationwide LTE and 5G coverage using band 71, but almost no other carriers in the world use it, which means that most phones sold in Europe and Asia won't work on one of T-Mobile's primary bands and T-Mobile customers may not get service without it. Verizon and AT&T just picked up a bunch of C-band spectrum that T-Mobile and much of the world aren't using for 5G. They also have mmWave 5G using bands that aren't widely used outside the U.S. right now as well. Though mmWave is only deployed in a small number of high-density urban areas.

One of the great things about the P6P is that the U.S. model has basically all of the frequencies used in the U.S. and most other countries, including mmWave.

In terms of phones, if you want compatibility with U.S. carriers (particularly T-Mobile on band 71), flagship specs, and the ability to unlock a bootloader and root, you have very few options right now. OnePlus and Google are the big ones, as Samsung locks their bootloaders for models with U.S. frequencies. Asus, Motorola, and Sony have a couple phones that will work as well. This site is a good resource for phones that work with T-Mobile (and often Verizon and AT&T too).
    Xperia 1 III is at the top of my list if I decide not to keep my p6p.

I held off on it originally because I was concerned with battery life and its questionable 5G capability in the US. Now that I realize the p6p has similar issues, the Xperia looks more attractive.

Also I was concerned about the skinny aspect ratio of the Sony, but with the curved edge on the Pixel, it makes the edges effectively worthless, so the Sony might actually feel wider.

The only downside for me now is the Xperia has a very limited developer pool, while the pixel will be sky's the limit for modding.
    I mean, I agree, but it's not a huge deal. It auto-updates just like the play store does. Worst case scenario you check it once a month after the software update. /shrug

If I was ABSOLUTELY going to get a phone now, and I wasn't getting a pixel, I'd get a Oneplus 9 Pro. It's actually a great device, it just has **** software. Root it, and put a pixel experience ROM on it, and it's damn near identical to the 6 Pro. I actually think I like the hardware/feel of the 9 Pro better, especially in the pine green color.
    Very very strange, I'm off to the car showroom now
    I did love OnePlus, but they're utterly crappy camera (in the past) had me move away from them. I hear they've greatly improved that. At the end of the day, Samsung probably offers the best all around package with the least agitations for me, currently. They've made great strides in their UI, bloat, and ad invasiveness. They still have a long way to go, though.

I'll hold on to this P6P for a week or so and put it though the ringer. If it doesn't smooth out, I'll just use my 4A 5G until the new line of Samsung's roll out as I've already sold both my S21 and S21+ to family.