• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Always on Display (AOD) brightness

Search This thread

memnon79

Feb 17, 2013
LG V20
LG G Pad X 8.0

I have two V60s and I noticed that the AOD brightness of one is always bright and the other is always dim no matter what I do. I am running A11 on both phones. I have gone into the AOD display settings and tried to toggle the brighter AOD on and off and it does nothing on both phones. Any one else experience a non-changeable AOD brightness? Any workarounds or solutions?

Mejilan

Oct 16, 2010
Thank you for coming back to post your solution. It's shocking how many folks will just edit in a "NM I solved it" and not post their solution!

Do you have any more information and the "dreaded fingerprint reader bug?" I've been experiencing some lock screen/AOD issues that actually started maybe a week before Android 11 was deployed by AT&T, and persisted after the A11 upgrade AND a factory reset after that. I haven't had the chance to really troubleshoot it, because it's more of an inconvenience than a dealbreaker, but was eyeballing Nova Launcher or my dynamic live wallpaper as possible trouble points.

Mejilan

Oct 16, 2010
Interesting, thanks for posting that. I installed the CPU Monitor app that a bunch of users there posted screenshots of, and I'm watching the 8x CPUs update every second or so. Very rarely all 8x spin up to 100% (when I first unlock my phone, for example), but the majority of the time, they hover between 29% - 38%. I have my fingerprint sensor on for both the lock screen and certain apps secured via biometrics (bank, password manager, MFA apps, etc). I'm not sure what "normal" should be, but high 20s to 30s seems reasonable? I've been monitoring on and off for the past few minutes, and at no point did my CPUs remain at a sustained 100%. Not even close.

Then again, the two threads I read through from your link were both from around a month ago, and I think AT&T released an update since then (their second A11 software update, IIRC, bumping the Android security patch up to March 1, 2021). So perhaps the most recent AT&T software update fixed whatever that issue that they were experiencing? It doesn't appear that either thread has seen any new activity in at least a month or so. I believe that the comments in one of the threads also mentioned that this wasn't an issue with T-Mobile or Verizon's version of A11. So if it was an AT&T issue, it's possible that the March 1, 2021 security patch update quietly fixed it.

Edit - I meant to post this earlier, but I have noticed that since the A11 update, that auto-brightness doesn't work as consistently as it used to. The problem, in my experience, is that things remain too dim. My temporary fix has been to pull down the notification shade, toggle auto-brightness off, then turn it right back on. That seems to reset the brightness to a comfortable level and re-enable auto-brightness. At least for a while. The auto-brightness will eventually die again. I usually have to do this once or twice a week. Annoying, for sure, but I don't know of any other solution. I reboot my phone around once a week, and that doesn't seem to help. I also did an immediate factory reset after upgrading to A11, but the problem persists even after a fresh set-up. It definitely was not an issue on A10. I figure it's an A11 bug and hope it'll be quashed eventually.

Last edited:

memnon79

Feb 17, 2013
LG V20
LG G Pad X 8.0
If your CPU is changing percent loaded then you are good. Temps in the 20s and 30s are also appropriate.

I have two TMobile variants with the fingerprint bug on A11. The latest TMobile update was only a security patch update.

I have reached out to LG on Facebook, Twitter, and Voice of Customer hoping they will address this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I solved the problem. It is related to the dreaded fingerprint reader bug. I turned off the fingerprint reader to unlock the screen and all is working perfectly normal.

Really hoping LG fixes the fingerprint issue.