• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Always on Display doesn't stay on

Search This thread

brodieb321

Oct 12, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
I purchased my S21 about 5 weeks ago and I am not sure if I have been experiencing this issue since I bought it but in the last week, I have noticed this issue. When my phone is locked, the AOD will either show for a few seconds to a minute or just won't show. I've ensured it is set to always show, power-saving not set to turn it off, no Bixby routines and any updates are installed for phone/AOD. I've even factory reset my phone and removed the case and screen protector and the issues are still persisting. Does anyone else experience this issue?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Sounds like a firmware glitch or the flash was corrupted.
Double check all AOD and screen lock settings.
Try turning AOD always on.
Try disabling screen lock... a lock out is the last thing you want anyway.
Play with it... Android's wuv attention.

The case or screen protector won't do this more than likely.

brodieb321

Oct 12, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
Sounds like a firmware glitch or the flash was corrupted.
Double check all AOD and screen lock settings.
Try turning AOD always on.
Try disabling screen lock... a lock out is the last thing you want anyway.
Play with it... Android's wuv attention.

The case or screen protector won't do this more than likely.
I normally use AOD always on, I'd tried the tap on the option to test. Going to try flashing it today to see if that helps despite the factory reset not helping.

brodieb321

Oct 12, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
So I've flashed the stock firmware back onto my device and the issues are still persisting. I've contacted support through the Samsung Members app and it's been escalated to the Research and Development team and am just waiting to hear back.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Did you update any Samsung apps after the reload before testing it? Go with the factory app loads.
Try disabling the lock screen... they tend to end up locking out the intended user anyway, sooner or latter.

If no one else is having this issue it very well maybe a hardware issue.
Did you ever wonder what happens when one or two micro transistor junctions out of the millions in a phone fail? Yes, well...

brodieb321

Oct 12, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
Unfortunately I can't recall if Samsung apps updated before I tested. I've already factory reset a few times so I'd rather avoid that for now. I've noticed the issues occur when using auto-brightness on AOD in lower light settings. When I say lower light, I mean in my study during the day which I never experienced issues with on my S20 FE. I've sent a report to Samsung Members and am waiting on them to come back to me.