Always On Display : how to control with tasker

Search This thread

Zecanilis

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 22, 2008
Aveiro
Well,
One of the lacks of our G6 is the notification led.
And I hate with allways display being allways on....
Anyone knows a way we can task to turn on always on display only when we have a new notification?
I think it whould be great and very battery friendly!

Cheers

Sent from my LG-H870 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Last edited:

COMI80

Jan 30, 2016
There are some 3rd parties apps in play store, search ambient display.

COMI80

Jan 30, 2016
Me too, I would prefer also an implementation more like ambient display with gestures.

Ultrawipf

Oct 7, 2016
Also interested in that feature. It would be awesome if the screen just comes on when there is a new notification. It makes no sense to have it on all the time.
I don't know why lg does not implement this feature but packs all the "second screen" menus from the v10 as hidden menus into the g6.
The g6 is awesome (even with 32gb, no quad dac and ir... come on lg... but i bought it anyways), but now i just found out how much i miss the notification led from my gnex and i can't tolerate excessive battery drain by having an lcd on all day when there is no new information.

Kaleidosc0pe

Oct 18, 2012
Gernsheim
Also interested in that feature. It would be awesome if the screen just comes on when there is a new notification. It makes no sense to have it on all the time.
I don't know why lg does not implement this feature but packs all the "second screen" menus from the v10 as hidden menus into the g6.
The g6 is awesome (even with 32gb, no quad dac and ir... come on lg... but i bought it anyways), but now i just found out how much i miss the notification led from my gnex and i can't tolerate excessive battery drain by having an lcd on all day when there is no new information.

it makes sense to have it always on because
... In the pocket it is automatically off and also when it is lying on the front.

There is no battery drain. Test it.

Reactions: Zocker Tko

Ultrawipf

Oct 7, 2016
... In the pocket it is automatically off and also when it is lying on the front.

Yes it switches off but for me it does not need to be on when there is no notification.
That would reduce the drain even more when >90% of the time there is nothing to be seen and if i want to see the time i can switch it on myself.
Just as an alternative to the missing notification led. Would be a very handy feature to minimize the backlight time and still see notifications and i am sure others would love that too.

Kaleidosc0pe

Oct 18, 2012
Gernsheim
Yes it switches off but for me it does not need to be on when there is no notification.
That would reduce the drain even more when >90% of the time there is nothing to be seen and if i want to see the time i can switch it on myself.
Just as an alternative to the missing notification led. Would be a very handy feature to minimize the backlight time and still see notifications and i am sure others would love that too.

Okay I agree with the LED. It is a fine feature.

I want AOD also for the time so it has to be shown.

Otherwise more customizations would be nice.
In your case "show only new notifications" for example.

LG has to consider that it should be not to complicated.

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL

Of course there's a battery drain. It may be minimized but it's definitely there.

LG wouldn't include a switch for it in battery saver if it didn't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-02-15-48-03.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-02-15-48-03.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 1,266

dkimmortal

Aug 16, 2011
Very good setting function if LG would add it, but they are going OLED in the future so they might not care enough sadly

sonspot

Nov 1, 2010
Guess I'm on the other side of the coin, I think this complaint is ridiculous, I like the AOD notification or not, with the addition of an led notification it would better.. It doesn't drain enough battery for me to care, if you don't want to see it turn the phone over or keep in pocket. Unless you're creeping and don't your partner to see you have a text (lol) its a non complaint IMO.

Zecanilis

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 22, 2008
Aveiro
The setting is not named aod_mode. If someone would find out what is this settings name, we could manage it with Tasker. I for sure would like to have AOD on, only when I have a notification.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Saw there was a dao_mode. Though it was this one, but no joy...
But will continue to try!

Cheers

milan187

Apr 15, 2015
I love the AOD. It was very annoying to doubt tap my Pixel every time just to see if there is a notification. Battery life is pretty good still. I can't see this using maybe 5-6% over a charge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BTW, if anyone is interested, there is also an option "enable_ext_display_on_lcd_on" not sure what that does.
    I might as well share how I found the correct code to use. Perhaps it would be beneficial to someone else, or for a different phone.

In a terminal running as root I ran this command, "settings list system", (there is 3 options, system, secure, global) which list all system settings. Then I manually toggled on AOD in settings. I went back into the terminal and ran the same command again, and diffed the output to see what changed.
    I love the AOD. It was very annoying to doubt tap my Pixel every time just to see if there is a notification. Battery life is pretty good still. I can't see this using maybe 5-6% over a charge.
    The main goal is to have AOD only on with a new notification.
    That way whould be also better to know if we had a new notification or not, and not always have to see at the bottom of the clock!

Sent from my LG-H870 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    This is what I found to Samsung devices :

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&sour...CB4wAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

This is what we need.
    Just can't find the same tag!

I found this tag to work for me. Just follow the samsung instructions and replace "aod_mode" to "enable_ext_display_on_lcd_off"

Edit: sorry forgot to post my device info. It is the LG G5 H850 on Stock MM.
    I found this tag to work for me. Just follow the samsung instructions and replace "aod_mode" to "enable_ext_display_on_lcd_off"

Edit: sorry forgot to post my device info. It is the LG G5 H850 on Stock MM.

Are you using Secure Settings plugin or AutoTools Secure Settings (from Joao)?

For those who do not want to install another app/plugin, you can use 'Code' option from Tasker, just like it is described here: https://www.xda-developers.com/automatically-toggle-samsungs-always-on-display-when-charging-app/
    Simply change the "aod_mode", just like rosboy (THANK YOU!) advised above and you are good to go - tested this on my LG-H870 (stock 7.0, no rooted).