• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Am i the only one who has display backlight flickering with my Zenfone 6?

Search This thread

Aug 28, 2016
Hi,

i got my Zenfone 6 today, and i really like it, but there is one thing that probably makes me return it...
The display is flickering when it‘s set to really low brightness, i think its the backlight.
I‘m not sure if it's broken or not. So, am i the only one with a flickering display?
Thank you

falcrumL

Nov 26, 2014
Hi,

i got my Zenfone 6 today, and i really like it, but there is one thing that probably makes me return it...
The display is flickering when it‘s set to really low brightness, i think its the backlight.
I‘m not sure if it's broken or not. So, am i the only one with a flickering display?
Thank you

I had the same situation yesterday, it was on low brightness too.
But only for a few seconds, for now, everything seems fine, even in low brightness.

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
With adaptive brightness set on or off?
Do you have the latest firmware version WW-16.1210.1904.133?

Aug 28, 2016
It doesn‘t matterif adaptive brightness is on or off, it does it as soon as the display lowers its brightness to the 1st 1/4 of the brightness bar...

Reactions: SDF05

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
Ok. Do you have the latest firmware version WW-16.1210.1904.133?

Skhio

Jun 15, 2019
Ok. Do you have the latest firmware version WW-16.1210.1904.133?

Hi, i have the same problem. Received the phone a week ago and trying to find a solution. I am on the last firmware, tried the dev option about overlay, hard reset and still the same. Going to send it back to Asus for a refund...

I wonder if this is software or hardware related. As of now i can't use it at night with low brightness.

Last edited:

Wulff73

Jun 16, 2019
My Zenfone 6 does the same. If I set the adaptive brightness on the low brightness flickering disappears. I think it's a software related problem because others Zenfone have the same behaviour.

Last edited:

Skhio

Jun 15, 2019
Tried it. No matter the settings it flickers. I found a video that match the problem, weird no one noticed : youtu.be/DN1La8AbZsI
Check at 1.16 min, on the right side, it flickers like that, when the luminosity is low. This is what i see on my screen.

Last edited:

morote

Sep 4, 2008
Same here. White backgrounds flicker when brightness set to low. Tried disabling HW overlay, but it didn't help. Phone on the latest firmware WW_16.1210.1904.133.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Anybody letting the techs at Asus know about these problems? I would like to hear about a fix before I buy anything.

Skhio

Jun 15, 2019
I am in touch with Asus France, i have to send back the phone for an exchange as they told me it MAY be a hardware problem.

I linked the thread to them if it can help.

Skhio

Jun 15, 2019
It is set in auto mode on my device and still the same. With or without doesn't help sadly.

x1tymez

Oct 14, 2011
Hmmm is this international version? The U.S is coming next month. Hopefully this get fix before I'm buying it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Funny how we here in the US complain that so many phones are released in the EU, or India, or China long before they ever appear here....but in reality it could be that we benefit from this practice so that some of these issues can be resolved by others before we have to deal with them.

Reactions: Guigui1982

Wulff73

Jun 16, 2019
Funny how we here in the US complain that so many phones are released in the EU, or India, or China long before they ever appear here....but in reality it could be that we benefit from this practice so that some of these issues can be resolved by others before we have to deal with them.

:) I hope that when this phone is released in your country, this issue will be solved definitively via software update. The way I see it, this problem isn't a huge problem, fortunately. Actually the screen flickering occours only if the brightness is set to a very low level (e.g. <20%) but, with this setting, the backlight is too dim as well for use even in a dark room (obviously for my taste). Since I use adaptive brightness with default settings, the minimum value the screen brightness reaches is 34% so I never get the problem....

Last edited:
Reactions: Guigui1982

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It doesn‘t matterif adaptive brightness is on or off, it does it as soon as the display lowers its brightness to the 1st 1/4 of the brightness bar...
    Every zenfone I have had (2 and 3) have had this issue.

:) I hope that when this phone is released in your country, this issue will be solved definitively via software update. The way I see it, this problem isn't a huge problem, fortunately. Actually the screen flickering occours only if the brightness is set to a very low level (e.g. <20%) but, with this setting, the backlight is too dim as well for use even in a dark room (obviously for my taste). Since I use adaptive brightness with default settings, the minimum value the screen brightness reaches is 34% so I never get the problem....
    Yes, it changes quickly. It can be easily seen on static white (bright color) backgrounds, for example when reading a book or text messages.
    Could others confirm that we are talking about the same issue?
    I can't see anything really , tried to open a text message and put brightness low, and go into a dark room .. but didn't notice anything at all unless it is super subtle?