• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Am i the only one who has display backlight flickering with my Zenfone 6?

Search This thread

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
The phone came back from the service centre. According to the Repair Summary they didn't change any parts, only updated the firmware. This took them a month. The problem is still there, the phone hasn't been fixed.
So sad :(

But may I ask you:
Did it flicker with Night Node On or Off?
Were you able to demonstrate flickering to any another person?
Was anyone but you aware of the flickering?
Was the flicker immediately apparent, or did you have to concentrate hellishly to register it?

morote

Sep 4, 2008
So sad :(

But may I ask you:
Did it flicker with Night Node On or Off?
Were you able to demonstrate flickering to any another person?
Was anyone but you aware of the flickering?
Was the flicker immediately apparent, or did you have to concentrate hellishly to register it?

You may, although it looks like a health screening.
Two other people I asked to look at the screen in low light conditions confirmed seeing the flickering. One of them called it "pulsating".
Night mode makes it less noticeable. To be honest I switched it on just to be able to answer your question. I've never had any issues with blue light.
Your last question is just silly. Let me ask you something: do you see invisible phenomenons if you concentrate strong enough?

Reactions: dedovec

morote

Sep 4, 2008
Again, thats very poor customer service from ASUS.. To take the phone and refuse to fix the fault.

This is a great phone but, for obvious reasons, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Spend 550 EUR and hope for the best?
I read all the threads here and on the new zentalk and I'm really surprised that some people still consider buying this phone.

mkermali99

Nov 6, 2017
This is a great phone but, for obvious reasons, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Spend 550 EUR and hope for the best?
I read all the threads here and on the new zentalk and I'm really surprised that some people still consider buying this phone.

The only reason why i am so keen to get this is because it ticks all my boxes. It is very rare to find a dual sim phone with a dedicated sd card slot, a 3.5mm jack input and no notch.

But yh such a massive risk. IF i had full faith in ASUS warranty then i would not be too bothered but if they are going to refuse to repair phones and send it back unrepaired, it really makes you think why?

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
First, don't get me wrong, I trust you that you see white backgrounds flicker when brightness set to low on your ZF6. I just wonder if it is isolated HW problem on a few devices, or widespread problem, but only a few users are able to perceive it, hence I asked if it is easily perceivable by users or not.

Night mode makes it less noticeable. To be honest I switched it on just to be able to answer your question. I've never had any issues with blue light.
That's exactly why I asked this. If it is in night mode less visible, many users may not perceive it when using night mode on a daily basis.

Your last question is just silly. Let me ask you something: do you see invisible phenomenons if you concentrate strong enough?
You are wrong, it is not silly at all.
I have seen many times that users were unable to confirm any standard behavior on their device, but when they concentrated, sharpened their senses and turned on their brains, they eventually succeeded :)

It's like having the ability to perceive the flicker of an old 50Hz CRT screen, or hear the whistle of line decay (15625 kHz on old PAL CRT TV).

If you want to perceive subtle random changes in the brightness of the screen in a dark room, you have to concentrate on it, watch it for some time to get your eyes accustomed to the darkness, and your brain to notice those changes. When someone goes out for a moment, turns off the brightness, glance at the screen for a moment, then is probably able to say that their display is ok.
That's why I asked how easy it was to notice.

In other forums, someone even shot a video that was supposed to capture the flicker, I didn't see anything like that because it was filming from a shaking hand, and the distance and angle from the camera to the screen was randomly changed, which in itself affects the brightness of the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwej

morote

Sep 4, 2008
First, don't get me wrong, I trust you that you see white backgrounds flicker when brightness set to low on your ZF6. I just wonder if it is isolated HW problem on a few devices, or widespread problem, but only a few users are able to perceive it, hence I asked if it is easily perceivable by users or not.

That's exactly why I asked this. If it is in night mode less visible, many users may not perceive it when using night mode on a daily basis.

You are wrong, it is not silly at all.
I have seen many times that users were unable to confirm any standard behavior on their device, but when they concentrated, sharpened their senses and turned on their brains, they eventually succeeded :)

It's like having the ability to perceive the flicker of an old 50Hz CRT screen, or hear the whistle of line decay (15625 kHz on old PAL CRT TV).

If you want to perceive subtle random changes in the brightness of the screen in a dark room, you have to concentrate on it, watch it for some time to get your eyes accustomed to the darkness, and your brain to notice those changes. When someone goes out for a moment, turns off the brightness, glance at the screen for a moment, then is probably able to say that their display is ok.
That's why I asked detaily how easy it was to notice.

In other forums, someone even shot a video that was supposed to capture the flicker, I didn't see anything like that because it was filming from a shaking hand, and the distance and angle from the camera to the screen was randomly changed, which in itself affects the brightness of the picture.

You could be right if I first read this thread and then tried to replicate the problem, but it was the other way around. I noticed the flickering and started googling for solution.

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
You could be right if I first read this thread and then tried to replicate the problem, but it was the other way around. I noticed the flickering and started googling for solution.
I don't contradict this at all.

I feel like you didn't understand me, I wasn't talking about you, but about the rest of us, why only a few users have noticed. And there can be two reasons:
1) This is a hardware failure of only a few devices
2) It is a feature that only a few individuals are able to perceive under specific conditions (no night mode, no adaptive brightness, in total darkness, with the brightness lowered to a minimum when watching the display for a long enough time)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It doesn‘t matterif adaptive brightness is on or off, it does it as soon as the display lowers its brightness to the 1st 1/4 of the brightness bar...
    Every zenfone I have had (2 and 3) have had this issue.
    Funny how we here in the US complain that so many phones are released in the EU, or India, or China long before they ever appear here....but in reality it could be that we benefit from this practice so that some of these issues can be resolved by others before we have to deal with them.
    Funny how we here in the US complain that so many phones are released in the EU, or India, or China long before they ever appear here....but in reality it could be that we benefit from this practice so that some of these issues can be resolved by others before we have to deal with them.

:) I hope that when this phone is released in your country, this issue will be solved definitively via software update. The way I see it, this problem isn't a huge problem, fortunately. Actually the screen flickering occours only if the brightness is set to a very low level (e.g. <20%) but, with this setting, the backlight is too dim as well for use even in a dark room (obviously for my taste). Since I use adaptive brightness with default settings, the minimum value the screen brightness reaches is 34% so I never get the problem....
    Yes, it changes quickly. It can be easily seen on static white (bright color) backgrounds, for example when reading a book or text messages.
    Could others confirm that we are talking about the same issue?
    I can't see anything really , tried to open a text message and put brightness low, and go into a dark room .. but didn't notice anything at all unless it is super subtle?