Amazingly enough Amazon _still_ supports the 3rd gen HDX with security updates...

Search This thread

Yousucks2

Oct 19, 2017
For me,they just release this to remove root,which occurs after the update.
Kingroot can root after the update, if someone ask.
Dont know why they refuse to release fireos 5 for this tablet.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Every OTA update removes root due to the way Amazon refreshes the system partition. It is a consequence of the process, not necessarily an intentional action. As for FireOS 5, 3rd gen devices are EOL and differ technically from 4th gens despite a similar exterior. There is ZERO business case for pushing a major update to a 5+ year old gizmo which will undoubtedly generate service calls and a few bricked devices.

Reactions: draxie

Weedefix

Sep 29, 2018
Hannover
set us freeee

Every OTA update removes root due to the way Amazon refreshes the system partition. It is a consequence of the process, not necessarily an intentional action. As for FireOS 5, 3rd gen devices are EOL and differ technically from 4th gens despite a similar exterior. There is ZERO business case for pushing a major update to a 5+ year old gizmo which will undoubtedly generate service calls and a few bricked devices.

Hey there, the new guy here *winx

I just hope Amazon will at some point set our old HDX 8.9 3Gen free and let us downgrade (or flash) them without all this nonsense.
Me as a noob in this type of stuff is getting headaches just finding out what I need to do... :eek:

As you said, 5+ years old... no real updates anymore... isnt it time to "let us go" *waves hands peacefully

bests
Weedefix

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hey there, the new guy here *winx

I just hope Amazon will at some point set our old HDX 8.9 3Gen free and let us downgrade (or flash) them without all this nonsense.
Me as a noob in this type of stuff is getting headaches just finding out what I need to do... :eek:

As you said, 5+ years old... no real updates anymore... isnt it time to "let us go" *waves hands peacefully

bests
Weedefix
Absolutely no business case for Amazon to make such a move and several strong arguments against. Consumes resources and opens the door for headaches, bellyaching and potential liability claims. Best let sleeping dogs lie where they are.

aaronkatrini

Feb 20, 2012
rome, italy
the new generation of kindle tablets is waaaayyy worse than the HDX... they don't understand that it would generate more revenue to have them working

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
the new generation of kindle tablets is waaaayyy worse than the HDX... they don't understand that it would generate more revenue to have them working
The new generation of "kindle tablets" is waaayyy better at maintaining cohesiveness with Amazon's ecosystem which was the objective all along. HDX missed the mark which is why it was discontinued. Amazon isn't in the business of catering to geeks and modders which make up a tinny fraction of the potential user base. Nor should they be.

tl;dr: when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Reactions: CertifiedBlyndGuy

Arthasdude

Mar 30, 2015
Can anyone modify this rom so I won't loose bootloader ?

Did soms research in Widevine and, on my custom rom, it says L3 instead of L1. Would like to try the latest Amazon rom to check the difference between full-hd netflix and the crappy netflix I appeared to have until now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got pushed a 4.5.5.3 update with build number 455006420 (instead of the current [at the time of posting] 455006120 still up on Amazon's site).
    The new generation of "kindle tablets" is waaayyy better at maintaining cohesiveness with Amazon's ecosystem which was the objective all along. HDX missed the mark which is why it was discontinued. Amazon isn't in the business of catering to geeks and modders which make up a tinny fraction of the potential user base. Nor should they be.

tl;dr: when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.