Amazon Alexa on Samsung Gear/Galaxy Watch (Alexa Gear) - Beta thread

Search This thread

TS56

Nov 16, 2018
I ran into the Amazon skill Alberto Sonorus. I do not fully understand what it does; it seems to create new devices for the (chosen) apps on your phone. Maybe it's helpful for your audio setup?

Thanks for suggesting that however I think this skill is used to open certain apps on your phone. An example of what I am talking about is: I tell alexa to to open the garage door using an actual echo device (echo dot or regular echo) the garage door opens and alexa responds "ok, opening the garage door now" I have that setup in a routine through the alexa app. If i say the same thing to my phone or watch, The garage door still opens however instead of her saying "ok, opening the garage door now" she says "audio actions in routines are not supported on this device" The same thing happens with my ecobee 4 thermostat with Alexa built in however with that it is even a little different because she first responds "audio actions in routines are not supported on this device" but then follows that by "ok, opening the garage door now" Again, i believe this is something Amazon will have to take care of and hopefully will in the near future.

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
hi,

I've published a paid, pro/donation version of the app for approval.
It basically enhances the user experience by starting voice command recording automatically.
you can download and use it after the Samsung team's approval.
For the beta testers, there will be a free beta version until the app is released. Please find it here:
http://apps.samsung.com/betastore/appDetail.as?appId=V8tXuS5sUp

please try to give me feedback on the app.

r4yv3n

Jan 19, 2008
hi,

I've published a paid, pro/donation version of the app for approval.
It basically enhances the user experience by starting voice command recording automatically.
you can download and use it after the Samsung team's approval.
For the beta testers, there will be a free beta version until the app is released. Please find it here:
http://apps.samsung.com/betastore/appDetail.as?appId=V8tXuS5sUp

please try to give me feedback on the app.

I was beta but can't download now:rolleyes:

halloarno

Aug 31, 2014
Zuidlaren
Installed pro. Nice the buzz when ready and autorecord. After 15 sec. the display turns off and when I turn my wrist to turn display on, the app buzz's again and is ready to listen: very handy!

Further I like to mention that a phrase like 'call [name]' let Alexa reply: 'calling with Alexa isn't supported on this device. You can use the Alexa app'. And indeed the Alexa app on the phone can make a call.

Taxal

May 18, 2011
Where is it?

Can see the app in Play, but not the Gear app in the Samsung store....has it been removed? Be keen to try it

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
Installed pro. Nice the buzz when ready and autorecord. After 15 sec. the display turns off and when I turn my wrist to turn display on, the app buzz's again and is ready to listen: very handy!

Further I like to mention that a phrase like 'call [name]' let Alexa reply: 'calling with Alexa isn't supported on this device. You can use the Alexa app'. And indeed the Alexa app on the phone can make a call.

But you can call only people who has an alexa device right? You can't nake a normal call.
I mean, with google assistant on phone, if i say "ok google, call mom", it starts a normal call.
Instead alexa can't do this, or am i wrong?

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Maybe it's a UK thing...limited Geographic availablity? Definitely not there.
Any way you can provide a link to the free and pro versions in the Samsung store?

Hi there,

There's no exception for UK users. You SHOULD be able to access the app on Galaxy Store.
Please try accessing the following link for FREE version:
http://galaxy.store/alexa

If it does not work for you, please let us know your phone brand/model. I hope it's not an iPhone ...

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
But you can call only people who has an alexa device right? You can't nake a normal call.
I mean, with google assistant on phone, if i say "ok google, call mom", it starts a normal call.
Instead alexa can't do this, or am i wrong?

If you have a "Echo Connect" device with an attached phone line (fixed landline) , you can call anybody on earth through Alexa.
But our watch app does not support that because it is not conversation supported at the moment. Maybe in the future.

Reactions: Norvax

Rdcravens

Dec 25, 2018
Gear S3 and Galaxy S9+... USA... Link tells me that it is not for sale, not for the US or not for this phone. I also can not find it in the app store. Was it taken down?

galaxy.store/alexa

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Gear S3 and Galaxy S9+... USA... Link tells me that it is not for sale, not for the US or not for this phone. I also can not find it in the app store. Was it taken down?

galaxy.store/alexa

no. it's not taken down. I also double checked now on the store settings and saw that it is enabled for US and also for all available phones.
if you still can't see it on store, can you please contact Samsung support ?

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Recently there were many crash reports and feedback with issues, reported through app store comments and via direct email.
Unfortunately, with my test devices, and friends' devices , I can not observe the crash issues. For me and my friends it works with no issues at all.
I tried reaching some of the users (who report crashes), also supplying them a "debug" version. But none of them has returned to me.

I really want to help and fix the problems if there's really a problem. So I need also help from users.

That's why I created this thread below. I'd appreciate if all users could give me feedback with the poll attached to the new thread.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gear-s3/themes/amazon-alexa-samsung-gear-galaxy-watch-t3886956

tasty23

Dec 24, 2018
Bologna
I can only include beta testers just before applying for a new version approval. Now the app is at approval for the 3rd time and I won't be able to add more beta testers until the approval process ends. I know that all of you are excited about the app but sorry guys, you will have to wait.
On the other hand I am not able to get much feedback from the beta testers and this prevents me to identify and solve all issues. Eventually making the process harder and longer...
I wish all beta testers have supplied feedback.

Besides, there is a moron who left a 1 star feedback on the Google Play store. He's pissed of because the watch side app is not available. But I told him that this is just in beta and that there is no other way of doing this beta. Anyway, he just does not understand and continues to write nonsense comments under my app.
This kind of attitude demotivates me and I really would abandone the project if I was not kind of person who likes to complete a started project.
I wish people who liked the app would also leave positive feedback...

Don't feel bad, morons just exist but your idea is very cool!
Sadly I'm a Samsung user (s8+) so I will wait the release for Samsung Smartphone to use my Galaxy Watch with Alexa (arrived to my today) because as fai as I understand there's no samsung versione on the Google Playstore.

If you will need more beta tester for Samsung (hoping they will approve the app) I can assure you a lot of feedback ^_^

Keep going mate!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this might be a "free" app if I get "enough" thanks on the XDA forum :)
    here's the deal;
    if I get enough "thanks" , there will be 2 versions of the app;
    one free version,
    one donation version priced 1 USD.

donation version will have an additional feature: start recording voice command immediately after start of the app.

does it sound good ?
    *** IMPORTANT ***
    Beta is over; final product is available in the galaxy store.
    *** IMPORTANT ***

Hello everyone,

This is the announcement of our new Gear (Galaxy) watch app. It is basically a full-featured voice assistant using Amazon Alexa voice service running on your watch.
    Today, we will be starting a closed beta and hopefully if we can solve all issues, the app will be released in 10-15 days.

The application consists of a GUI on the watch and a companion app which should run on the Android phone. (only Android , no IOS unfortunately)
    The Android companion app is released at:

Alexa Gear

Without the watch app, the companion Android application is useless.
    We have a few known issues, and before a full release including watch side application, we would like to identify and solve all issues.. That's the reason of this closed beta.

The app supports following Samsung Watches:
    • Samsung Gear S2
    • Samsung Gear S3
    • Samsung Gear Sport
    • Samsung Galaxy Watch

If you are interested in beta testing, please see below notes for beta testers, and provide your information in the form of following example by sending an email to mrmrmrmr(at)gmail.com

Email Subject: Application for AlexaGear Beta Test
    Email body:
    Name: John Smith
    Email: [email protected] (your email address used to login for Samsung Galaxy/Gear App Store)
    Phone Brand/Model: Samsung Note 9
    Watch Model: Samsung Gear S3
    Phone OS: Android 8.0

Notes for beta testers:
    1. Beta application will be open from now on and will be closed when we believe all required type of users are selected.
    2. Applying for the beta does not guarantee that you will be selected as a beta user. We would like to keep the beta group small with enough sample of various watch/phone models.
    3. Beta process may continue untill the application is released.
    4. Beta download link will be provided to selected users starting later today.

Notes about the current state of the application - also important for beta attendees:

1. The app is not fully released and this is a closed beta. It may cause application force-close on your phone.
    2. The debug version of the app may cause high battery usage on your phone since it is not optimized.
    3. You may have to install Amazon's official "Amazon Shopping" application on your phone to login, if it is not already installed.
    4. The current version of the app outputs the voice response from Alexa on your phone and not your watch. Voice response will be sent to watch in a later release.

We expect from beta users to share their experience in the form of following only. All other communication attempts may be missed (i.e. different mail subject or wrong form of mail body);
    Code:
    [B]Email Subject:[/B] AlexaGear Beta Test
    [B]Email body:[/B]
    [U]Name[/U]: John Smith
    [U]Email[/U]: [email][email protected][/email][I][COLOR="Silver"] (your email address used to login for Samsung Galaxy/Gear App Store)[/COLOR][/I]
    [U]Phone Brand/Model[/U]: Samsung Note 9
    [U]Watch Model[/U]: Samsung Gear S3
    [U]Phone OS[/U]: Android 8.0

[U]What is your experience[/U]: what works , what does not work about the application.
    [U]What you liked about the app[/U]: 
    [U]What you did not like about the app[/U]:
    [U]Your suggestions:[/U]
    [U]Issues found[/U]:
    [U]Issue 1[/U]: what did you do ? what happened ?
    [U]Issue 2[/U]: what did you do ? what happened ?

UPDATE : Login problem is solved ; now we don't need Amazon Shopping to login.
    Finally, watch application is approved !!!
    This is the free version. The donation version will be released later.
    Hi,
    can you allready say something about the release date for the watch App?

Thanks a lot
    Tommy

still waiting for Samsung approval team.