Amazon Alexa on Samsung Gear/Galaxy Watch (Alexa Gear) - Beta thread

Search This thread

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
Don't feel bad, morons just exist but your idea is very cool!
Sadly I'm a Samsung user (s8+) so I will wait the release for Samsung Smartphone to use my Galaxy Watch with Alexa (arrived to my today) because as fai as I understand there's no samsung versione on the Google Playstore.

If you will need more beta tester for Samsung (hoping they will approve the app) I can assure you a lot of feedback ^_^

Keep going mate!

You quoted a very old message. The app is on galaxy and on play store since many weeks.

dardas

Jan 10, 2019
Hey, notice that the Alexa Gear app is no longer available on Google Play Store. What happened?

tasty23

Dec 24, 2018
Bologna
You quoted a very old message. The app is on galaxy and on play store since many weeks.

I'm unable to find the app on the app store, can you post a direct link?
The link in the main post seems to be broken, see attached screenshot ^_^

i64 .tinypic . com/ dmw60l.jpg (sorry but i can't post outgoing link because I'm new here)

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Hi everyone,

Google had suspended our app because of the Alexa logo that we used.
Anyway, we created a new version with new icon.
Now both apps are updated.
Please update your watch and phone apps (both should be update to the latest version for successful operation)

thanks.

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
I just downloaded the Alexa gear app from the Galaxy Store onto my Galaxy Watch and then linked to the phone companion app in your description. Brought me to the Play Store, downloaded/installed that app, opened it and login was automatic after I agreed to everything. @mrmrmrmr Your app worked perfectly!!! Love it!. I only tried 2 commands to Alexa and they worked quickly. I took your suggestion and mapped the home button to open Alexa gear. Perfect World for me! Going to donate now. Thanks again!

Reactions: mrmrmrmr

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
@mrmrmrmr Quick Question. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (os 8.1.0) and the AlexaGearCompanion app (ver. 2.1.4) is always running in the background. It's not using any battery on average per hour (I'm not constantly invoking AlexaGear on my watch either). Are there any negatives to having the Companion app always running in the background?
I've used both apps now for a solid day and it easily works at home on wifi or on the road using phone data.
I thank you again for such a great app. Do you have a PayPal email address? I have purchased the "donation" version of the app but I'd like to send a little more of a donation (and not use the ad-free donation here on XDA). I can only imagine how many lines of code that this took and even worse answering a million questions and trying to figure out bugs on so many different types of phones. Very time-consuming!
I can only hope that others would like to donate something extra as well!

Reactions: mrmrmrmr

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
@mrmrmrmr Quick Question. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (os 8.1.0) and the AlexaGearCompanion app (ver. 2.1.4) is always running in the background. It's not using any battery on average per hour (I'm not constantly invoking AlexaGear on my watch either). Are there any negatives to having the Companion app always running in the background?
I've used both apps now for a solid day and it easily works at home on wifi or on the road using phone data.
I thank you again for such a great app. Do you have a PayPal email address? I have purchased the "donation" version of the app but I'd like to send a little more of a donation (and not use the ad-free donation here on XDA). I can only imagine how many lines of code that this took and even worse answering a million questions and trying to figure out bugs on so many different types of phones. Very time-consuming!
I can only hope that others would like to donate something extra as well!

@burrzoo
thanks for your feedback. it is not very common that we developers get such appreciation from users. Most of the time, we get negative feedbacks saying what is missing with the product.
As to your question; there is no disadvantage of running the companion app in the background.
And the battery warning on the Android phone is just a standard notification forced by the used API level.
We bring the app forward when you use the app on your watch, because Ads is the main income we get from this app.
About additional donation: although I have a Paypal address I don't want to receive any additional donation. (thanks for your offer though)
If you keep on using the app, I will receive income from Ads, and that is enough.
Me and my friend , we are working on additional features to enhance the app. If we eventually do that, we may release another paid version. But in my opinion, for that we have to add real nice enhancements.

Reactions: burrzoo

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
I also wanted to mention that AlexaGear works on Pie/Android 9.0 with Tizen 4.0.0.1. too (just in case anyone was wondering!). I'm on an AT&T LTE 42mm Galaxy Watch.

bashy

Aug 25, 2005
Hi folks, I am in the UK and my alexa is all UK, so just wondering why when I ask for the forecast, the week ahead is all in French, not voice, just the text side of it, any ideas please?

Spixe1

Mar 20, 2009
Is this no longer being supported, as I can't find it in the app store or galaxy store anymore. Nothing else out there for Alexa on our gears?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this might be a "free" app if I get "enough" thanks on the XDA forum :)
    here's the deal;
    if I get enough "thanks" , there will be 2 versions of the app;
    one free version,
    one donation version priced 1 USD.

donation version will have an additional feature: start recording voice command immediately after start of the app.

does it sound good ?
    *** IMPORTANT ***
    Beta is over; final product is available in the galaxy store.
    *** IMPORTANT ***

Hello everyone,

This is the announcement of our new Gear (Galaxy) watch app. It is basically a full-featured voice assistant using Amazon Alexa voice service running on your watch.
    Today, we will be starting a closed beta and hopefully if we can solve all issues, the app will be released in 10-15 days.

The application consists of a GUI on the watch and a companion app which should run on the Android phone. (only Android , no IOS unfortunately)
    The Android companion app is released at:

Alexa Gear

Without the watch app, the companion Android application is useless.
    We have a few known issues, and before a full release including watch side application, we would like to identify and solve all issues.. That's the reason of this closed beta.

The app supports following Samsung Watches:
    • Samsung Gear S2
    • Samsung Gear S3
    • Samsung Gear Sport
    • Samsung Galaxy Watch

If you are interested in beta testing, please see below notes for beta testers, and provide your information in the form of following example by sending an email to mrmrmrmr(at)gmail.com

Email Subject: Application for AlexaGear Beta Test
    Email body:
    Name: John Smith
    Email: [email protected] (your email address used to login for Samsung Galaxy/Gear App Store)
    Phone Brand/Model: Samsung Note 9
    Watch Model: Samsung Gear S3
    Phone OS: Android 8.0

Notes for beta testers:
    1. Beta application will be open from now on and will be closed when we believe all required type of users are selected.
    2. Applying for the beta does not guarantee that you will be selected as a beta user. We would like to keep the beta group small with enough sample of various watch/phone models.
    3. Beta process may continue untill the application is released.
    4. Beta download link will be provided to selected users starting later today.

Notes about the current state of the application - also important for beta attendees:

1. The app is not fully released and this is a closed beta. It may cause application force-close on your phone.
    2. The debug version of the app may cause high battery usage on your phone since it is not optimized.
    3. You may have to install Amazon's official "Amazon Shopping" application on your phone to login, if it is not already installed.
    4. The current version of the app outputs the voice response from Alexa on your phone and not your watch. Voice response will be sent to watch in a later release.

We expect from beta users to share their experience in the form of following only. All other communication attempts may be missed (i.e. different mail subject or wrong form of mail body);
    Code:
    [B]Email Subject:[/B] AlexaGear Beta Test
    [B]Email body:[/B]
    [U]Name[/U]: John Smith
    [U]Email[/U]: [email][email protected][/email][I][COLOR="Silver"] (your email address used to login for Samsung Galaxy/Gear App Store)[/COLOR][/I]
    [U]Phone Brand/Model[/U]: Samsung Note 9
    [U]Watch Model[/U]: Samsung Gear S3
    [U]Phone OS[/U]: Android 8.0

[U]What is your experience[/U]: what works , what does not work about the application.
    [U]What you liked about the app[/U]: 
    [U]What you did not like about the app[/U]:
    [U]Your suggestions:[/U]
    [U]Issues found[/U]:
    [U]Issue 1[/U]: what did you do ? what happened ?
    [U]Issue 2[/U]: what did you do ? what happened ?

UPDATE : Login problem is solved ; now we don't need Amazon Shopping to login.
    Finally, watch application is approved !!!
    This is the free version. The donation version will be released later.
    Hi,
    can you allready say something about the release date for the watch App?

Thanks a lot
    Tommy

still waiting for Samsung approval team.