Amazon Alexa on Samsung Gear/Galaxy Watch (Alexa Gear) - Beta thread

Search This thread

Mr_ontiveros

Nov 13, 2018
I have been using beta for a week now and I haven't had any problems with it on my galaxy note 8. Works seamlessly.

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
yes exactly.
but can you please set language to en-US and try timers ?
"set a timer for 10 seconds"

let's make sure it is because of the language selection.

ok, i have selected en-US in your alexa app and the voice on phone (i use phone's speaker because gear sport hasn't one) tell me it has set a timer of 10 seconds, but nothing happens XD
about reminder, i also asked to set one, but also in this language it told me it's a feature still not supported.

all this talking in english (again i remember you i'm italian)

edit: just tried to set a timer also in italian. it takes the command and, as in english, it tells me "10 seconds, starting by now" but then i do not hear any sound

Reactions: mrmrmrmr

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
ok, i have selected en-US in your alexa app and the voice on phone (i use phone's speaker because gear sport hasn't one) tell me it has set a timer of 10 seconds, but nothing happens XD
about reminder, i also asked to set one, but also in this language it told me it's a feature still not supported.

all this talking in english (again i remember you i'm italian)

edit: just tried to set a timer also in italian. it takes the command and, as in english, it tells me "10 seconds, starting by now" but then i do not hear any sound

ok. that's normal because we could not implement "conversation" yet
but what's weird is that now your get (in English and also in Italian) the command accepted.
Then why was it not accepted previously ? was it the earlier version of Android ? did you update in between ?

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
ok. that's normal because we could not implement "conversation" yet
but what's weird is that now your get (in English and also in Italian) the command accepted.
Then why was it not accepted previously ? was it the earlier version of Android ? did you update in between ?

What is not accepted is reminder. If i ask to remind me something it doesn't work, i was referring to this previously, but as i said is a feature still not supported by alexa app on smartphone. Maybe in italian hasn't still come

halloarno

Aug 31, 2014
Zuidlaren
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The combination Alexa - IFTT - Tasker, let you control about everything on your phone with voice command from watch. :)
So very outstanding work, mrmrmrmr! I have the feeling Alexa have a better voice recognition then Google Assistance.

May I suggest some improvements for more user-friendly experience? (I assume that's a yes).

I think it would be easy to have to watch the watch as less as possible. So now I putt the app under the 2-clicks-home-button. But it would be even more easy to simple click on a watchface since that will show whitin a wristmovement. (But this is maybe for a later stadium.)

Ofcourse the app on the watch have to check (and thus waiting time) if connection is OK. Now I have to look on watch when it's ready, and then click again (on mic) for start recording. It would be great if, once the app starts, it will vibrate (and sound for non-sports editions) when ready and immediately starts recording. I know the recording will start soon, so no need for extra click on mic.

And as stated above, now we know it actually works great, there's no need to activate the app on screen on phone. Working in background is enough.

Neverless, how well it all works now and your support, all together: outstanding.

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
The combination Alexa - IFTT - Tasker, let you control about everything on your phone with voice command from watch. :)
So very outstanding work, mrmrmrmr! I have the feeling Alexa have a better voice recognition then Google Assistance.

May I suggest some improvements for more user-friendly experience? (I assume that's a yes).

I think it would be easy to have to watch the watch as less as possible. So now I putt the app under the 2-clicks-home-button. But it would be even more easy to simple click on a watchface since that will show whitin a wristmovement. (But this is maybe for a later stadium.)

Ofcourse the app on the watch have to check (and thus waiting time) if connection is OK. Now I have to look on watch when it's ready, and then click again (on mic) for start recording. It would be great if, once the app starts, it will vibrate (and sound for non-sports editions) when ready and immediately starts recording. I know the recording will start soon, so no need for extra click on mic.

And as stated above, now we know it actually works great, there's no need to activate the app on screen on phone. Working in background is enough.

Neverless, how well it all works now and your support, all together: outstanding.

thanks for your feedback. "vibration to let user know when to start talk" is a very good idea. I think we can implement that.

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli

Could you make me an example of this combo alexa-ifttt-tasker you talk?

halloarno

Aug 31, 2014
Zuidlaren
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Could you make me an example of this combo alexa-ifttt-tasker you talk?
Ofcourse:
The reason I got to this is, because I want to voicecontrol Spotify from my watch. Alexa can control Spotify through Spotify Connect. But not the Spotify app on your phone. So:

First about IFTTT (if this than that). Once you have an acoount for it (via IFTTT-app is the easiest way I guess), you can connect Alexa and IFTTT. Now you can make an applet in IFTTT (a connection with a trigger and an action, p.e. add something to your shopping list or to doist). Here I let IFTTT send an notification to my phone with a specific message. In this case I made an applet: if Alexa send a phrase 'play spotify' send a notification with the message 'play spotify'.

To let Alexa send a phrase you say to IFTTT, you say 'trigger' first. In this case I would say to Alexa gear (no need to say Alexa first): 'trigger play spotify'.

Tasker as a verry powerfull automater for your phone. You can define triggers (like connect to a specific wifi or time or headphone plugged in or think of something and it probaly exists) and then let your phone follow up an action (system, settings, ui, wallpaper, launch apps, whatever, there are a lot of plugins for tasker). In this case I defined the trigger 'notification from IFTTT' with the message 'play spotify' and let that follow by the actions: launch Spotify, wait 5 seconds, simulate play button. (5 sec. waitingtime is needed to let the app start up before it can take an next action).

In summary:
Say to Alexa gear: 'trigger {whatever}'
IFTTT sends a notification with the message {whatever} (define an applet first)
Tasker do the action(s) that follow up the notification from IFTTT {whatever} (setup trigger and actions first)

Once you truly realise what Tasker can do with your phone, you can all control this with just your voice and your watch. Lovely thought ;)

Sorry mrmrmrmr, I posted about this once because I think it shows that your work (Alexa Gear) can do a lot of things. Now back on topic: discussion about the app itsself......

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Sorry mrmrmrmr, I posted about this once because I think it shows that your work (Alexa Gear) can do a lot of things. Now back on topic: discussion about the app itsself......

thanks for sharing your experience. you know there is an official spotify app for the watch, and it can start spotify on your phone right ?
you all do this just to start it by voice instead of starting it through buttons?

halloarno

Aug 31, 2014
Zuidlaren
Google Pixel 7 Pro
thanks for sharing your experience. you know there is an official spotify app for the watch, and it can start spotify on your phone right ?
you all do this just to start it by voice instead of starting it through buttons?
No, I am not able to voicecontrol apps on the watch.
I am talking about voicecontrol over things Tasker can do on your phone. P.e. launching Spotify and start playing. (And of course play next, back, pause etc. everything Tasker can do on your phone.)

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
the limit of this app i think is alexa its-self. i mean, for what is releated to the phone.
it is not deeply integrated on smartphone as g-assistant, so it can't be very very useful, but this is my opinion eh..

other than using it with a smart device in the house, i don't know what to do

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
Ofcourse:
The reason I got to this is, because I want to voicecontrol Spotify from my watch. Alexa can control Spotify through Spotify Connect. But not the Spotify app on your phone. So:

First about IFTTT (if this than that). Once you have an acoount for it (via IFTTT-app is the easiest way I guess), you can connect Alexa and IFTTT. Now you can make an applet in IFTTT (a connection with a trigger and an action, p.e. add something to your shopping list or to doist). Here I let IFTTT send an notification to my phone with a specific message. In this case I made an applet: if Alexa send a phrase 'play spotify' send a notification with the message 'play spotify'.

To let Alexa send a phrase you say to IFTTT, you say 'trigger' first. In this case I would say to Alexa gear (no need to say Alexa first): 'trigger play spotify'.

Tasker as a verry powerfull automater for your phone. You can define triggers (like connect to a specific wifi or time or headphone plugged in or think of something and it probaly exists) and then let your phone follow up an action (system, settings, ui, wallpaper, launch apps, whatever, there are a lot of plugins for tasker). In this case I defined the trigger 'notification from IFTTT' with the message 'play spotify' and let that follow by the actions: launch Spotify, wait 5 seconds, simulate play button. (5 sec. waitingtime is needed to let the app start up before it can take an next action).

In summary:
Say to Alexa gear: 'trigger {whatever}'
IFTTT sends a notification with the message {whatever} (define an applet first)
Tasker do the action(s) that follow up the notification from IFTTT {whatever} (setup trigger and actions first)

Once you truly realise what Tasker can do with your phone, you can all control this with just your voice and your watch. Lovely thought ;)

i was looking for the part of setting ifttt to send a message, but i haven't understood how to do it.
how do you send the message? i need the name of the action to set for "that" part of ifttt

edit: oh, it is called notifications XD
ok thanks however ahahah

edit2: no nothing, it doesn't work and i don't receive any notifications.
@halloarno for example, i have made an applet with name "musica" (i'm italian) and as notification "musica", but when i say "alexa trigger musica" she answer me she can't find an answer for my question and any notifications arrives on my phone (where i have installed ifttt).

maybe in italian it doesn't work?

Edit3: i have tried to set a similar thing with google assistant and it sends me the notification, so i suppose that alexa doesn't understand "trigger" because it is obviously set on italian lamguage.
What a pity..

Last edited:

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
@halloarno i got it working :D
i googled a bit and i discovered that instead of triggger i have to say the equivalent in italian, which is "aziona"
now ifttt sends me the notifications.

you have opened a world to me, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

and obviously thanks to @mrmrmrmr for the amazing app :D

edit: so strange.. it works if i talk directly to alexa app or to my echo, but it doesn't work when i give command trough alexa gear :(

edit2: sorry guys for many posts (although i should have respected 24hours of waiting if i'm right), but whatever i discover i write it here.
i managed to get it working also with alexa gear, but i have to set the app with en-US language and say "trigger musica". In this way all the process with ifttt and tasker is completed. if i set it in italian and i say "aziona musica" it answers that she can't find an answer to my question.
don't know what to say.. i'll wait mrmrmrmr for some help

Last edited:

halloarno

Aug 31, 2014
Zuidlaren
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Nice! Have fun discovering what Tasker can do.
I can't help with language trouble. My foreign language, Dutch, isn't supported by Alexa. So for me all is in English by default.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

But it would be even more easy to simple click on a watchface since that will show whitin a wristmovement. (But this is maybe for a later stadium.)
I just discovered such watchfaces already exists :fingers-crossed:

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
@halloarno i got it working :D
i googled a bit and i discovered that instead of triggger i have to say the equivalent in italian, which is "aziona"
now ifttt sends me the notifications.

and obviously thanks to @mrmrmrmr for the amazing app :D

edit: so strange.. it works if i talk directly to alexa app or to my echo, but it doesn't work when i give command trough alexa gear :(

edit2: sorry guys for many posts (although i should have respected 24hours of waiting if i'm right), but whatever i discover i write it here.
i managed to get it working also with alexa gear, but i have to set the app with en-US language and say "trigger musica". In this way all the process with ifttt and tasker is completed. if i set it in italian and i say "aziona musica" it answers that she can't find an answer to my question.
don't know what to say.. i'll wait mrmrmrmr for some help

I'm sorry but I can't help you with that language issue. I just added Italian as a supported language. Alexa Gear just passes what you say to the Alexa API.
Maybe that command (for IFTTT) isn't yet supported by the IFTTT skill of Alexa ?

erghetto

Apr 1, 2012
Napoli
I'm sorry but I can't help you with that language issue. I just added Italian as a supported language. Alexa Gear just passes what you say to the Alexa API.
Maybe that command (for IFTTT) isn't yet supported by the IFTTT skill of Alexa ?

I don't know what to say. Because, as i said previously, if i give the command directly to echo or to alexa app on smartphone, the combo ifttt-tasker works, but if give the same command trough alexa gear it fails.
At least in italian.. instead it works in en-US.
But i can't understand why, because it shouldn't work neither with echo or alexa on smartphone if it were a matter of italian language.

TS56

Nov 16, 2018
here's the deal;
if I get enough "thanks" , there will be 2 versions of the app;
one free version,
one donation version priced 1 USD.

donation version will have an additional feature: start recording voice command immediately after start of the app.

does it sound good ?

I just wanted to say a big thank you for creating this app! I just got my galaxy watch over the weekend. I had been searching for an Alexa app before I purchased it and ran across this thread. This was one of the first apps I downloaded. It seems to work very well. I will be looking for the donation version so I dont have to press the microphone every time. I have replaced the double press button that was originally for Bixby with this app. There is really only one thing that I would like to see different that I believe someone else mentioned- If the app either didnt have to completely open on the phone everytime (it is always open in the notification area already) or if it closed itself back out when it was done. I have no idea if that is possible or what it would take but that would be a great update. The other thing I wish was different is on Amazon's end. I still get the response "audio actions in routines are not supported on this device" when I have custom audio setup in an Alexa routine but that happens on the phone app as well. Nothing you can do about it just something I hope they update in the near future. Again, Thanks for all your work on this

halloarno

Aug 31, 2014
Zuidlaren
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I still get the response "audio actions in routines are not supported on this device" when I have custom audio setup in an Alexa routine but that happens on the phone app as wel.
I ran into the Amazon skill Alberto Sonorus. I do not fully understand what it does; it seems to create new devices for the (chosen) apps on your phone. Maybe it's helpful for your audio setup?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this might be a "free" app if I get "enough" thanks on the XDA forum :)
    here's the deal;
    if I get enough "thanks" , there will be 2 versions of the app;
    one free version,
    one donation version priced 1 USD.

donation version will have an additional feature: start recording voice command immediately after start of the app.

does it sound good ?
    *** IMPORTANT ***
    Beta is over; final product is available in the galaxy store.
    *** IMPORTANT ***

Hello everyone,

This is the announcement of our new Gear (Galaxy) watch app. It is basically a full-featured voice assistant using Amazon Alexa voice service running on your watch.
    Today, we will be starting a closed beta and hopefully if we can solve all issues, the app will be released in 10-15 days.

The application consists of a GUI on the watch and a companion app which should run on the Android phone. (only Android , no IOS unfortunately)
    The Android companion app is released at:

Alexa Gear

Without the watch app, the companion Android application is useless.
    We have a few known issues, and before a full release including watch side application, we would like to identify and solve all issues.. That's the reason of this closed beta.

The app supports following Samsung Watches:
    • Samsung Gear S2
    • Samsung Gear S3
    • Samsung Gear Sport
    • Samsung Galaxy Watch

If you are interested in beta testing, please see below notes for beta testers, and provide your information in the form of following example by sending an email to mrmrmrmr(at)gmail.com

Email Subject: Application for AlexaGear Beta Test
    Email body:
    Name: John Smith
    Email: john.smith@gmail.com (your email address used to login for Samsung Galaxy/Gear App Store)
    Phone Brand/Model: Samsung Note 9
    Watch Model: Samsung Gear S3
    Phone OS: Android 8.0

Notes for beta testers:
    1. Beta application will be open from now on and will be closed when we believe all required type of users are selected.
    2. Applying for the beta does not guarantee that you will be selected as a beta user. We would like to keep the beta group small with enough sample of various watch/phone models.
    3. Beta process may continue untill the application is released.
    4. Beta download link will be provided to selected users starting later today.

Notes about the current state of the application - also important for beta attendees:

1. The app is not fully released and this is a closed beta. It may cause application force-close on your phone.
    2. The debug version of the app may cause high battery usage on your phone since it is not optimized.
    3. You may have to install Amazon's official "Amazon Shopping" application on your phone to login, if it is not already installed.
    4. The current version of the app outputs the voice response from Alexa on your phone and not your watch. Voice response will be sent to watch in a later release.

We expect from beta users to share their experience in the form of following only. All other communication attempts may be missed (i.e. different mail subject or wrong form of mail body);
    Code:
    [B]Email Subject:[/B] AlexaGear Beta Test
    [B]Email body:[/B]
    [U]Name[/U]: John Smith
    [U]Email[/U]: [email]john.smith@gmail.com[/email][I][COLOR="Silver"] (your email address used to login for Samsung Galaxy/Gear App Store)[/COLOR][/I]
    [U]Phone Brand/Model[/U]: Samsung Note 9
    [U]Watch Model[/U]: Samsung Gear S3
    [U]Phone OS[/U]: Android 8.0

[U]What is your experience[/U]: what works , what does not work about the application.
    [U]What you liked about the app[/U]: 
    [U]What you did not like about the app[/U]:
    [U]Your suggestions:[/U]
    [U]Issues found[/U]:
    [U]Issue 1[/U]: what did you do ? what happened ?
    [U]Issue 2[/U]: what did you do ? what happened ?

UPDATE : Login problem is solved ; now we don't need Amazon Shopping to login.
    Finally, watch application is approved !!!
    This is the free version. The donation version will be released later.
    Hi,
    can you allready say something about the release date for the watch App?

Thanks a lot
    Tommy

still waiting for Samsung approval team.