Amazon Appstore Network Error

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
Quick backstory; I rooted my 5th Gen 7" Fire a loooong time ago, with I believe a version of Rootjunky's supertool. Removed auto OS updates, all that good stuff. Accordingly, I cannot access the OS info via System Updates (tapping it gives a blank screen for a moment, then goes back to the main settings screen). I have Google Play & services installed.

So, I tried today to use the Amazon Appstore, and I'm getting a "Network Unreachable" error right when the app launches. I can't use any functions of the store. I'm thinking it's maybe because the app is such a relatively old version, Amazon's network is giving it grief, but I don't know for certain.

Like I said, I can't see for sure what OS version I have, but it has to be one of the first iterations of 5.something.

If anyone has run into this, or has any suggestions to get the appstore working again, I'm all ears. I did a factory reset, both from in the OS and from the Amazon recovery (complete with wiping cache), with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

elementalcobalt

Feb 12, 2017
Quick backstory; I rooted my 5th Gen 7" Fire a loooong time ago, with I believe a version of Rootjunky's supertool. Removed auto OS updates, all that good stuff. Accordingly, I cannot access the OS info via System Updates (tapping it gives a blank screen for a moment, then goes back to the main settings screen). I have Google Play & services installed.

So, I tried today to use the Amazon Appstore, and I'm getting a "Network Unreachable" error right when the app launches. I can't use any functions of the store. I'm thinking it's maybe because the app is such a relatively old version, Amazon's network is giving it grief, but I don't know for certain.

Like I said, I can't see for sure what OS version I have, but it has to be one of the first iterations of 5.something.

If anyone has run into this, or has any suggestions to get the appstore working again, I'm all ears. I did a factory reset, both from in the OS and from the Amazon recovery (complete with wiping cache), with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help.
Have you checked the clock? Sometimes, if the time is off, my store will break. Other than that, I'd recommend you download EZ File explorer, google form the most up to date amazon store apk, uninstall yours and give it a fresh install, especially if you feel out of date is the problem.

I'd also recommend you download a custom rom and flashfire and see if you can't fix that OS info problem, especially since you've already wiped all your data anyway.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Have you checked the clock? Sometimes, if the time is off, my store will break. Other than that, I'd recommend you download EZ File explorer, google form the most up to date amazon store apk, uninstall yours and give it a fresh install, especially if you feel out of date is the problem.

I'd also recommend you download a custom rom and flashfire and see if you can't fix that OS info problem, especially since you've already wiped all your data anyway.
This won't work:
- the version of Amazon's app store is different on FireOS; I don't believe it's available for download
- I did not see the OP had wiped his data; the OS info problem is related to blocking OTA updates

---------- Post added 02-12-2017 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-11-2017 at 11:56 PM ----------

Best solution is to install a custom ROM; however you seem satisfied with FireOS.

Next best solution IMO is to reload FireOS (which includes Amazon's app store) but you will probably want to stick with version 5.0.1 if that's what is currently installed. Obvious problem is you can't determine that through normal means. Have to be careful here; if you attempt to reload 5.0.1 and your device is currently on 5.1.x or above it will brick. You would also need to reroot, reblock OTA updates, etc. In short, everything you did before. With no guarantee it will fix your original problem (although I think it will).

One way to test for 5.0.1 is to see if it will boot TWRP. However, that can be messy if you are unfamiliar with fastboot and/or have never established a connection with the device in question.
@steve8x8 - I seem to recall you wrote a tool that can query current component/system levels. Thoughts?

p.s. You could also go with FireOS 5.3.1 which is the last build that can be rooted at present. No brick risk as 5.3.1 is >= the current version of FireOS on the device.

Reactions: scooter1979

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi

It's not the clock, that's as it should be.

This won't work:
- the version of Amazon's app store is different on FireOS; I don't believe it's available for download
- I did not see the OP had wiped his data; the OS info problem is related to blocking OTA updates

---------- Post added 02-12-2017 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-11-2017 at 11:56 PM ----------

Best solution is to install a custom ROM; however you seem satisfied with FireOS.

Next best solution IMO is to reload FireOS (which includes Amazon's app store) but you will probably want to stick with version 5.0.1 if that's what is currently installed. Obvious problem is you can't determine that through normal means. Have to be careful here; if you attempt to reload 5.0.1 and your device is currently on 5.1.x or above it will brick. You would also need to reroot, reblock OTA updates, etc. In short, everything you did before. With no guarantee it will fix your original problem (although I think it will).

One way to test for 5.0.1 is to see if it will boot TWRP. However, that can be messy if you are unfamiliar with fastboot and/or have never established a connection with the device in question.

@steve8x8 - I seem to recall you wrote a tool that can query current component/system levels. Thoughts?

p.s. You could also go with FireOS 5.3.1 which is the last build that can be rooted at present. No brick risk as 5.3.1 is >= the current version of FireOS on the device.
You are correct, I am happy with the FireOS.

I've played in fastboot before, and given EXACT instructions, I can regurgitate results, but it's not my native tongue. I don't know if the appstore version is locked to the OS version, but according to Appstore Settings under the manage Amazon apps section, I'm rocking release-9.1011.5.1.39.0_2000145010, last updated 2/12/15. Any way to link that with OS version?

If no more info can be gleaned from my device, either from the appstore version or something steve8x8 may have, I may just load 5.3.1 on and run from there. Kinda rather not, but I'd kinda rather not not have appstore access.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
... I've played in fastboot before, and given EXACT instructions, I can regurgitate results, but it's not my native tongue. I don't know if the appstore version is locked to the OS version, but according to Appstore Settings under the manage Amazon apps section, I'm rocking release-9.1011.5.1.39.0_2000145010, last updated 2/12/15. Any way to link that with OS version?

If no more info can be gleaned from my device, either from the appstore version or something steve8x8 may have, I may just load 5.3.1 on and run from there. Kinda rather not, but I'd kinda rather not not have appstore access.
To my knowledge there is no direct correlation of appstore version to FireOS version. Obviously there's a range but we'd need a 1-1 match to draw a comfortable conclusion.

You can test TWRP bootability by following the guidance in this post. If TWRP boots you can safely sideload FireOS 5.0.1 from here using instructions in this thread (posts #1 and #2). That said, if you have no intention of every installing a custom ROM there really isn't any advantage to retaining an older bootloader. If that's the case might as well sideload FireOS 5.3.1. Be aware there is no going back if you take this step.

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
To my knowledge there is no direct correlation of appstore version to FireOS version. Obviously there's a range but we'd need a 1-1 match to draw a comfortable conclusion.

You can test TWRP bootability by following the guidance in this post. If TWRP boots you can safely sideload FireOS 5.0.1 from here using instructions in this thread (posts #1 and #2). That said, if you have no intention of every installing a custom ROM there really isn't any advantage to retaining an older bootloader. If that's the case might as well sideload FireOS 5.3.1. Be aware there is no going back if you take this step.
Ahhhh nuts. I'm getting "FAILED (remote: unknown command)" return on my Win7 machine trying to boot TWRP, and just simple USB transmission OK output on the device. Looks like I'm over 5.0.1.

Guess it's 5.3.1 for me. I'm assuming I can just follow the directions from sd_shadow's unbrick stock recovery ADB sideload thread, yes? Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
There's a guide to find bootloader version: https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/identify-bootloader-version-t3424634

Sent from my Amazon Fire using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

Ahhhh nuts. I'm getting "FAILED (remote: unknown command)" return on my Win7 machine trying to boot TWRP, and just simple USB transmission OK output on the device. Looks like I'm over 5.0.1.

Guess it's 5.3.1 for me. I'm assuming I can just follow the directions from sd_shadow's unbrick stock recovery ADB sideload thread, yes? Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
Just be sure that you don't accidentally update. Don't connect to WiFi until you have KingRoot, and be sure not to let the os update finish downloading. Once you connect, it will start. Some tips I found on how to avoid updates:

- use Kingroot 4.92 or lower; avoid v5.x (nearly impossible to remove)
- partial OTA update files are erased each time the device reboots
- KingRoot reboots frequently
- find a slow AP (library, coffee shop, etc) to thoddle the pace of downloads
- enable WiFi only after KingRoot starts and kill it when run completes
- force reboot device if KingRoot hangs for a prolonged period
- you may have to repeat the process multiple times
- there are trickier approaches (eg: IP/domain blocking) with variable results; the above playbook has worked well for most
- good luck

Last edited:

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
Just be sure that you don't accidentally update. Don't connect to WiFi until you have KingRoot, and be sure not to let the os update finish downloading. Once you connect, it will start. Some tips I found on how to avoid updates:
s
Along with not hooking up wifi immediately, I was thinking of using rootjunky's supertool for root & update blocking, as the tool says it's now compatible with 5.3.1. Should be good enough, as long as I don't connect to a network until ALL of the supertool fun is done (I hope).

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
Along with not hooking up wifi immediately, I was thinking of using rootjunky's supertool for root & update blocking, as the tool says it's now compatible with 5.3.1. Should be good enough, as long as I don't connect to a network until ALL of the supertool fun is done (I hope).
You need WiFi to root. That's why you need to be careful, since update starts quickly. Here's the thread the quote was from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/help/dilemma-t3545062
If you can block the domains linked to in that thread, that'll help. It's not necessary, but it's a good idea.

EDIT: here's the post with them:
Using stock 5.3.1 fresh install here are the domain names used in the update process:

softwareupdates.amazon.com
amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net

The first one is the actual update check, blocking DNS lookup of this domain effectively disabled auto-updates for me YMMV
The second domain name is where the firmware is actually downloaded from (not verified but seems probable). Note that this could change depending on how the update check is implemented.

I recommend blocking DNS resolution of softwareupdates.amazon.com if practical in your situation

Last edited:

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
You need WiFi to root. That's why you need to be careful, since update starts quickly. Here's the thread the quote was from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/help/dilemma-t3545062
If you can block the domains linked to in that thread, that'll help. It's not necessary, but it's a good idea.
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize Kingroot needs internet access... Besides that, I saw in the tool's changelogs that it even removes Kingroot & puts the normal supersu in the system, so I thought everything was more or less a "normal" rooting procedure. Whoops. Thank you, I'll be DNS blocking before anything.

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize Kingroot needs internet access... Besides that, I saw in the tool's changelogs that it even removes Kingroot & puts the normal supersu in the system, so I thought everything was more or less a "normal" rooting procedure. Whoops. Thank you, I'll be DNS blocking before anything.
It removes KingRoot after using it to root. AFAIK, KingRoot is the only thing that can root these tablets. Personally, I'd recommend finding your bootloader version and flashing that, but it's just a personal preference, and has no practical difference unless you have 5.0.x, which you don't. I just like having oldest I can in case a downgrade method is ever found.
Also I may have an updated appstore apk from my brother's 5.3.2.1 tablet, let me check.

EDIT: Nope, I don't. I do, however, have an (old) apk from the Amazon website. See if installing this version helps. Just out of curiosity, could you attach the apk from your current appstore? I'm wondering if it will install on Fire Nexus. The UI looks much better than the version I have downloaded.

Last edited:

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
Just out of curiosity, could you attach the apk from your current appstore? I'm wondering if it will install on Fire Nexus. The UI looks much better than the version I have downloaded.

I'll be happy to if you give me the path, or even the full name of the apk so I can search via root explorer.

Last edited:

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
I'll be happy to if you give me the path.
If you have a file manager, search /system/app and /system/priv-app for com.amazon. venezia. Or, use an app like titanium backup to back it up.

It's taking forever to upload the apk I'm using, so here's the link if you want to test if it works: https://www.amazon.com/appstore_android_app
If not, I think you will need to reflash, unfortunately.

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
Used this method, I'm on 5.1.1 (5.4.1_112720 5.1.1). Dagnabbit, missed it by that much.
Then I'd recommend flashing 5.1.1. Like I said, if a downgrade method is found, it will probably be for older versions. Plus it's harder to brick, since only one or two versions are below it.

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
It's taking forever to upload the apk I'm using, so here's the link if you want to test if it works: https://www.amazon.com/appstore_android_app
If not, I think you will need to reflash, unfortunately.

No go. Got a "Application Not Installed" error.

Then I'd recommend flashing 5.1.1. Like I said, if a downgrade method is found, it will probably be for older versions. Plus it's harder to brick, since only one or two versions are below it.

The thing there is, if the issue is indeed related to the age of the appstore, which doesn't look like it has been updated since the OS was, sideloading the same version would put me in the same boat I'm in now. If I drop 5.3.1 on there, that should fix me, assuming the age of the store is the underlying issue. Unless there's something I'm missing.

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
No go. Got a "Application Not Installed" error.

The thing there is, if the issue is indeed related to the age of the appstore, which doesn't look like it has been updated since the OS was, sideloading the same version would put me in the same boat I'm in now. If I drop 5.3.1 on there, that should fix me, assuming the age of the store is the underlying issue. Unless there's something I'm missing.
A while back, I found a tutorial on how to upgrade system, but keep bootloader the same. Let me look...
Also, if it isn't the age of the app store, it has no effect. You could also try Amazon Underground app. It has a different package name, so it will install alongside the Appstore you have. This way, you can see if it has to do with the store or if it's just not working.

EDIT: Having trouble finding the link. I think what it was is you can download an update file, rename it from *.bin to *.zip, extract system.img, put it on the device, flash it, root, and disable ota immediately. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

scooter1979

Oct 10, 2010
Ypsi
Umm, you guys?...

Ya wanna hear something wacky? Just for the fart of it, I ran the apk I just uploaded on my own device, and, um, the store works now. Zero problems. Connects just fine.

Now don't I feel like a horse's patoot?

Well, if nothing else, I learned what DNS to block if I upgrade to 5.3.1, how to check my bootloader via hex editor, and to rely on the kindness of strangers to fall bassackwards into an easy solution. Yeesh.

BeeWall

Jun 29, 2016
Ya wanna hear something wacky? Just for the fart of it, I ran the apk I just uploaded on my own device, and, um, the store works now. Zero problems. Connects just fine.

Now don't I feel like a horse's patoot?

Well, if nothing else, I learned what DNS to block if I upgrade to 5.3.1, how to check my bootloader via hex editor, and to rely on the kindness of strangers to fall bassackwards into an easy solution. Yeesh.
Oh. Well, I found the thread, if you want. It gives instructions for FlashFire as well.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/howto-install-fireos-5-1-1-root-gapps-t3265594

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Ok, my venezia is attached.
Was there a .odex in the folder, and/or a lib folder? If so, could you also upload that? If not, then it appears it will not work. Shame. Thanks for the apk.

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone