Amazon Fire HD 8" & 10" - remove firelauncher (no root)

Search This thread

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
I am ecstatic to announce that I have found a solution as of 2016! Please visit my thread describing the tutorial on how to remove firelauncher and use any launcher you choose without rooting your Fire HD device!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-remove-default-launcher-amazon-fire-t3288192

I have been reading a lot of forum posts and decided to make an account here in order to communicate with you guys. I see you are all interested in possible modifications to the Kindle Fire, and as you must know the HD 8 & 10 models do not have a root currently.
I am relatively new to Android but I am really enjoying working with it. The only thing I do not like about the FireOS is the firelauncher (com.amazon.firelauncher), and I have been looking for a working way to remove, replace, or modify it without rooting (unless there is a way).

I found two methods to accomplish this, however it needs some tweaking. I think someone as experienced as you might be able to perfect it.

Method 1:
I noticed that the stock APK file, ("/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk") cannot be touched as it is a read-only filesystem, but I can reinstall it. (I was able to reinstall a slightly older version of firelauncher successfully using "adb install -r -d firelauncher.apk" successfully by the way). During the installation there is a brief moment where it is deleted, and the prompt to select a different default launcher is presented, and works. Sadly I have no clue on how to prevent firelauncher from finishing its installation. I tried "reboot -p" to kill the device in the middle of an installation and various other things but nothing worked.

Method 2:
Like I mentioned previously, I was able to reinstall any version or a modified version of the APK. This allowed me to edit the contents of the APK and delete some important resources, causing the launcher to crash and switch over to the last opened window, I think there is potential in here if classes.dex could be modified somehow.

Method 3:
I was able to take a different launcher and decompile it, edit the package name from net.example.testlauncher to com.amazon.firelauncher, however I don't know how to sign it properly and the mismatch caused the tablet to reject the apk. This has REAL potential as a method, but it may be impossible to forge a certificate signature.
Edit: It may be possible to disable the certificate checking,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1698352

If anyone is able to collaborate with me on this, we may be able to finally get rid of the horrendous firelauncher. Additionally, anyone who would like to remotely test things on my Fire HD 8 let me know and I'll setup a console or something for you.

I am attatching a previous version of firelauncher.apk, to install it (which there is no real reason to do so) type adb install -r -d firelauncher.apk

Attachments

• com.amazon.firelauncher.apk
    5.9 MB · Views: 2,342
Last edited:

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
I have been experimenting with modified backup and restore files, no luck there. I have also worked with sideloading certain files, and of course no luck there either. There might be some potential in the fastboot screen, but I am not sure which command to use to unlock the kernal. I will post a list of all the getvars if anyone will find them useful. I remember unlock_status: false but that is about it. fastboot oem unlock does nothing as it is an invalid command.

Reactions: Black Hawk90

Provided

Sep 9, 2017
Motorola One Vision
Launcher Hijack works flawlessly if you delete the firelauncher. The home button will still work, but there are other side affects.

If you don't delete firelauncher, and I sincerely hope you haven't, then you still get the occasional delay like normal.

Last edited:

Asmial

Sep 12, 2014
I GOT IT TO WORK!

After my latest failures, I got the bright idea to try something that has never worked for me before: LauncherHijack

I downloaded LauncherHijackV3 from GitHub(mod please help with the link :eek:) and sideloaded it onto my kindle and installed.

I opened it and selected ADW Launcher (the only one on the list), and now the home button works beautifully, with no lag at all.

I'm so happy im gonna make a new thread!:laugh: :laugh: :victory: :good: :victory: :laugh: :laugh:
Well... but there is the problem that whenever you go home, sometimes, you see for a brief period the amazon launcher, making it confusing and weird. That thing made me return to the amazon launcher due to the trouble it gave me.

Provided

Sep 9, 2017
Motorola One Vision
Have you tried to read FAQ first, before "inventing a bicycle"? :laugh: This is well known trick for a loooong time, and discussed here, in Fire HD 8/10 forums many-many times...

Yes I am aware of that now. At first I had deleted firelauncher and then installed LauncherHijack. This completely erased any lag or glitches with the main fire launcher, but had some other side effects not related to the launcher or the home button.

So my statement is now outdated and i will be editing it now.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

So.. lag or no lag? Do you still see the fire launcher when using adw?

Yes. I believe there is no way around this as of now without root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am ecstatic to announce that I have found a solution as of 2016! Please visit my thread describing the tutorial on how to remove firelauncher and use any launcher you choose without rooting your Fire HD device!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-remove-default-launcher-amazon-fire-t3288192

I have been reading a lot of forum posts and decided to make an account here in order to communicate with you guys. I see you are all interested in possible modifications to the Kindle Fire, and as you must know the HD 8 & 10 models do not have a root currently.
    I am relatively new to Android but I am really enjoying working with it. The only thing I do not like about the FireOS is the firelauncher (com.amazon.firelauncher), and I have been looking for a working way to remove, replace, or modify it without rooting (unless there is a way).

I found two methods to accomplish this, however it needs some tweaking. I think someone as experienced as you might be able to perfect it.

Method 1:
    I noticed that the stock APK file, ("/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk") cannot be touched as it is a read-only filesystem, but I can reinstall it. (I was able to reinstall a slightly older version of firelauncher successfully using "adb install -r -d firelauncher.apk" successfully by the way). During the installation there is a brief moment where it is deleted, and the prompt to select a different default launcher is presented, and works. Sadly I have no clue on how to prevent firelauncher from finishing its installation. I tried "reboot -p" to kill the device in the middle of an installation and various other things but nothing worked.

Method 2:
    Like I mentioned previously, I was able to reinstall any version or a modified version of the APK. This allowed me to edit the contents of the APK and delete some important resources, causing the launcher to crash and switch over to the last opened window, I think there is potential in here if classes.dex could be modified somehow.

Method 3:
    I was able to take a different launcher and decompile it, edit the package name from net.example.testlauncher to com.amazon.firelauncher, however I don't know how to sign it properly and the mismatch caused the tablet to reject the apk. This has REAL potential as a method, but it may be impossible to forge a certificate signature.
    Edit: It may be possible to disable the certificate checking,
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1698352

If anyone is able to collaborate with me on this, we may be able to finally get rid of the horrendous firelauncher. Additionally, anyone who would like to remotely test things on my Fire HD 8 let me know and I'll setup a console or something for you.

I am attatching a previous version of firelauncher.apk, to install it (which there is no real reason to do so) type adb install -r -d firelauncher.apk
    I have been experimenting with modified backup and restore files, no luck there. I have also worked with sideloading certain files, and of course no luck there either. There might be some potential in the fastboot screen, but I am not sure which command to use to unlock the kernal. I will post a list of all the getvars if anyone will find them useful. I remember unlock_status: false but that is about it. fastboot oem unlock does nothing as it is an invalid command.
    I am ecstatic to announce that a temporary fix for this has been found! Please visit my thread describing the tutorial on how to remove firelauncher and use any launcher you choose without rooting your Fire HD device!