Amazon Just released Fire TV 5.0.3

Search This thread

Gauduchon

May 4, 2015
Not sure how much that HDCP manager costs - I am wary of adding more devices in the chain for a problem that can be easily cured by firmware updates. Roku has managed to do it in their version 3 of the box ... by offering either DD or DD+ as an option. I believe Amazon is working on precisely offering that kind of an option. I can wait - until then, DTS Neo 2:5 works satisfactorily.

The HDCP manager is about $80 The reason I have it has nothing to do with the audio its because both the FTV2 and the Samsung TV are both HDCP 2.2 compliant and the Yamaha receiver is not, even though it is only 5 months old and is 4K compatible ! When playing 4K content it would only play it in 1080, with this box in the system it fools the TV into thinking it is getting the handshake and plays the 4K perfectly !

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
The HDCP manager is about $80 The reason I have it has nothing to do with the audio its because both the FTV2 and the Samsung TV are both HDCP 2.2 compliant and the Yamaha receiver is not, even though it is only 5 months old and is 4K compatible ! When playing 4K content it would only play it in 1080, with this box in the system it fools the TV into thinking it is getting the handshake and plays the 4K perfectly !

Curious, did you get the 5.0.3 update yet? If so, have you tried to see if 4K works now without the HDCP manager? One of the supposed fixes/changes with 5.0.3 is better detection of 4K when connected through an AV receiver.

Ulf_A

Oct 30, 2015
Fire Stick shows black screen and amazon logo

Hi,

my Updates breaks and after a restart i get a black screen with the amazon logo, nothing more.

Can anybody help me to reboot or something else?

Thanks,
Ulf

Claude Koch

Apr 11, 2015
Hi,

my Updates breaks and after a restart i get a black screen with the amazon logo, nothing more.

Can anybody help me to reboot or something else?

Thanks,
Ulf

The installation takes a long time and gives you no feedback.

Best to just leave it be even it seems nothing's happening.

f1ux

Jan 2, 2011
Does 5.0.3 break Firestarter?

Edit: doesn't look like it.

Just installed 5.0.3 on my Ftv 1st gen by joining dev Preview then doing settings>check for update.

Last edited:

Gauduchon

May 4, 2015
Curious, did you get the 5.0.3 update yet? If so, have you tried to see if 4K works now without the HDCP manager? One of the supposed fixes/changes with 5.0.3 is better detection of 4K when connected through an AV receiver.

Yes, I am on the latest update 5.03 I have just tried running the FTV through the AV receiver and can confirm no 4K content will play, it just plays at 1080 There is nothing Amazon can do to make the FTV go through the receiver and carry out the required HDCP 2.2 handshake to force the 4K content to play, it just won't happen, thats the beauty of this little box, pay $80 for the little box or $1,430.00 for a new AV receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
As a side note, for some reason the homescreen is not showing the 4K content available to play but if I go into recently watched, the last few 4K programs I have watched are still there ? I have spoken to Amazon who are looking into it.

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Yes, I am on the latest update 5.03 I have just tried running the FTV through the AV receiver and can confirm no 4K content will play, it just plays at 1080 There is nothing Amazon can do to make the FTV go through the receiver and carry out the required HDCP 2.2 handshake to force the 4K content to play, it just won't happen, thats the beauty of this little box, pay $80 for the little box or $1,430.00 for a new AV receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
As a side note, for some reason the homescreen is not showing the 4K content available to play but if I go into recently watched, the last few 4K programs I have watched are still there ? I have spoken to Amazon who are looking into it.
I figured it was a long shot, but thanks for trying and reporting back.

Gauduchon

May 4, 2015
Did you test to see if the UHD 4K category shows up when plugged directly to the TV?

I have just tried that and no, still no 4K categories, plugged it back through my normal set up and now they are back ??
Also while doing that I got an update for the remote and now that won't work ? It's not my day !

pd555

Mar 27, 2010

Me too. Also 4K doesn't fit the screen properly on my LG

vulcan195

Dec 28, 2009
Me too. Also 4K doesn't fit the screen properly on my LG

I don't have any of these problems. Its always showing Amazon Prime 4K and Netflix 4K ... you may want to eliminate the receiver-handshake as the cause by hooking up the fireTv directly to the 4K TV.

My screen is so perfect with no over or under scan issues.

pd555

Mar 27, 2010
I don't have any of these problems. Its always showing Amazon Prime 4K and Netflix 4K ... you may want to eliminate the receiver-handshake as the cause by hooking up the fireTv directly to the 4K TV.

My screen is so perfect with no over or under scan issues.

It is hooked up directly to the 4KTV. In display settings you can adjust the screen to fit. By default it is overscanned. This makes 1080p content not fit properly (zoomed). When I adjust so the arrows fit this make 4K not fit (black bar around it)

Are you saying you do get the 4K menu at the top of the homepage? There's about 10 shows in it. This has gone for me. I haven't tried Netflix yet.

I was watching Mozart in the City and Red Oaks in 4K. A couple of these completely crash the box when I try to play. There is a loud noise then the box switches off. I wondered whether Amazon had withdrawn the 4K section because of these issues.

vulcan195

Dec 28, 2009
It is hooked up directly to the 4KTV. In display settings you can adjust the screen to fit. By default it is overscanned. This makes 1080p content not fit properly (zoomed). When I adjust so the arrows fit this make 4K not fit (black bar around it)

Thats so weird. What brand TV is this? If its not one of the popular brands (Sony, Samsung, LG etc. ) ... then there is some handshake issues there.

The AFTV2 and Samsung 2014 4K handshake with no issues. 4K and 1080p are scaled properly. The TV has always been set to Picture Size: FIT since I bought it .. and I have never seen issues where the image from any source had issues with fitting correctly.

Red Oaks series has some issues that have been reported elsewhere. I suggest you use other titles to test.

Are you saying you do get the 4K menu at the top of the homepage? There's about 10 shows in it. This has gone for me. I haven't tried Netflix yet.
Yes, I see the UltraHD menus fine. If your TV is not handshaking correctly - the FireTV will not see it as a 4K TV and will remove the 4K category. I think Netflix does the same.

pd555

Mar 27, 2010
Thats so weird. What brand TV is this? If its not one of the popular brands (Sony, Samsung, LG etc. ) ... then there is some handshake issues there.

The AFTV2 and Samsung 2014 4K handshake with no issues. 4K and 1080p are scaled properly. The TV has always been set to Picture Size: FIT since I bought it .. and I have never seen issues where the image from any source had issues with fitting correctly.

Red Oaks series has some issues that have been reported elsewhere. I suggest you use other titles to test.

Yes, I see the UltraHD menus fine. If your TV is not handshaking correctly - the FireTV will not see it as a 4K TV and will remove the 4K category. I think Netflix does the same.

It's a brand new 2015 LG TV

I did change the HDMI cable, maybe that caused it?

Gauduchon

May 4, 2015
My saga continues, over the weekend I lost all the 4K categories, today only the 4k films section is showing up, the TV and Prime 4k sections are not there, is anyone else having this ?

vulcan195

Dec 28, 2009
@gauduction - you need to go into Accounts Settings and do a Re-Sync.

I lost 4K list when I was plugging and unplugging from different ports on the receiver and the TV - and a ReSync quickly got them all back :)

Gauduchon

May 4, 2015
@gauduction - you need to go into Accounts Settings and do a Re-Sync.

I lost 4K list when I was plugging and unplugging from different ports on the receiver and the TV - and a ReSync quickly got them all back :)

@vulcan195 You are a star............ All the 4K content is back, why didn't the Amazon helpline know how to do that ?

I have been trying different setups playing around with different connections, what I have found is if the FTV is plugged straight into the one connect box with the audio going to the AV receiver through a TOSLINK cable, I only get Dolby Digital. If I then plug the FTV into the HDCP manager, which then plugs into the AV receiver I get Dolby Digital Plus working.