Amazon Prime Video on Demand on Android TV Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

iibosshog

Jun 5, 2012
I have installed the launcher and the beta I'm my mi box. It does not work right it showing the same image in each genre. Search does not show anything relevant. Also it takes forever to load. Please be me not the app.
If you are subscribed to Primevideo.com you should just: 1) download Chrome Dev which has an experimental full support to HTML5 2) Download User Agent Changer for Chrome app. 3) Open it and set it to immediately load Chrome after changing the settings. 4) Change the UA to Chrome Desktop. Connect to your Primevideo account. 5) Try to play some content and boom! There you have it! Prime Video at 1080p. No Dolby Digital, though. But it's awesome anyway, innit? ;)

Globulejoul

Jan 2, 2017
How do you add User Agent Switcher to Chrome Dev on Mi Box? Once installed, when I open Chrome Dev and try to go to the Chrome store it says that it's not compatible. So when I go to Primevideo.com and try to launch a show it redirects me to the Amazon Prime Video Android application download page.

AnthonyTex

Aug 20, 2010
From my experience I don't need to change anything: i simply use chrome for Android form when primevideo was launched in my country: I have to open primevideo.com , then open for example the Gran tour, then open chrome menu and press "request desktop site (or whatever it is in your language ;) ) ", apparently the page don't change but now video will play and don't send you to PlayStore app: the first time il Will ask also "to identify your device to send you premium contents " :)

Reactions: Globulejoul

Globulejoul

Jan 2, 2017
That indeed works! It's not perfect yet as it seems that there are no seeking bar nor quality setting in fullscreen, but at least it does work! Thanks!

Reactions: AnthonyTex

iibosshog

Jun 5, 2012
That indeed works! It's not perfect yet as it seems that there are no seeking bar nor quality setting in fullscreen, but at least it does work! Thanks!
Until a couple of days ago there were, but not now. Do you think at Amazon they figure it out? What do you guys think? On my phone it does work at 720p with Miracast to my Smart TV and all the functions are still poppin up, but not on the TV Box, not anymore.

Last edited:

Globulejoul

Jan 2, 2017
Until a couple of days ago there were, but not now. Do you think at Amazon they figure it out? What do you guys think? On my phone it does work at 720p with Miracast to my Smart TV and all the functions are still poppin up, but not on the TV Box, not anymore.
I didn't try for long but it seems that the quality is auto adjusting itself. On the show I tried the quality was poor at the beginning but then improved within a minute. Hard to tell if it set itself to 720p or 1080p as I have no idea what the bitrate of the video is.

iibosshog

Jun 5, 2012
I didn't try for long but it seems that the quality is auto adjusting itself. On the show I tried the quality was poor at the beginning but then improved within a minute. Hard to tell if it set itself to 720p or 1080p as I have no idea what the bitrate of the video is.

If your phone or device does not support 1080p, it's definitely 720p.

KingNothing81

Oct 30, 2016
If someone is looking for a download option for the Amazon Video APKs that used to be available on apkmirror, they are still available on apkdot.com:

https://apkdot.com/?s=Amazon+video

And the download link posted here to the most current version 4.1.70 is still working too:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/gb6l2n

But remember that versions 4.x only work with DD+ capable equipment or the app will crash on playback.

Last edited:

AmirH

Jun 22, 2009
Could you please share APK?

I managed to get this working with latest beta version of Prime Video Launcher and Amazon Instant Video v2.x. If I update to latest version prompted by Prime Video Launcher app, the video doesn't start, it keeps waiting.

I can start the video from launcher but the amazon app doesn't open. It just prompts to open url in the browser when I launch the app.

Since I can't get the amazon app to launch, I can't figure out how to start subtitles/CC. Any tips?

Sorry for the delay. Link seems to be down now.

Someone posted a new one a few posts up.

b-rad.cc

Feb 5, 2009
I managed to make Primevideo.com work on a TX5 Pro Android TV Box. I put Chrome on desktop mode and (you never know) changed the user agent to Chrome Desktop with User Agent Changer for Chrome app. The videos play pretty fluidly at 1080p. No DD, though. But i don't care.

Your device is not running 'AndroidTV' it is an 'Android TV Box' running normal (phone/tablet/etc) android with a modified interface. I didn't think there were issues running the non-AndroidTV PrimeVideo app on 'normal android' devices.

geogolem

Feb 23, 2016
If someone is looking for a download option for the Amazon Video APKs that used to be available on apkmirror, they are still available on apkdot.com:

linkremoved

And the download link posted here to the most current version 4.1.70 is still working too:

link removed

But remember that versions 4.x only work with DD+ capable equipment or the app will crash on playback.

So, that second url with version 4.1.70 --> I installed it on my XIAOMI MI BOX 4K (bought at a US walmart) --> I was able to install it and login to my amazon.ca (Canada) prime video account and browse the canadian library... but whenever I try to launch a video it just hangs with the progress circle indicator thing spinning. I dont think the previous version will work with the amazon.ca (Canada) prime video library... The XIAOMI box supports DD+ (I believe).. am I doing something wrong or is there anything else I should try. I didnt try the older apk (released November 1st) since I dont think it will work in Canada (i might try it later though). any other suggestions would be appreciated!

b-rad.cc

Feb 5, 2009
I am also a mibox owner. I have been trying all the official apps produced along the way and they've all behaved the same, spinning circle and then error. Do not think I've noted a mibox owner with other results on the official app. I have not tried the launcher app, but do believe mibox owners have reported success with it.

iibosshog

Jun 5, 2012
Your device is not running 'AndroidTV' it is an 'Android TV Box' running normal (phone/tablet/etc) android with a modified interface. I didn't think there were issues running the non-AndroidTV PrimeVideo app on 'normal android' devices.
Yeah... I know. The Sony TV app doesn't load. The launcher doesn't work also because it's only for UK/USA/DEU users and I am in Italy.

KingNothing81

Oct 30, 2016
So, that second url with version 4.1.70 --> I installed it on my XIAOMI MI BOX 4K (bought at a US walmart) --> I was able to install it and login to my amazon.ca (Canada) prime video account and browse the canadian library... but whenever I try to launch a video it just hangs with the progress circle indicator thing spinning. I dont think the previous version will work with the amazon.ca (Canada) prime video library... The XIAOMI box supports DD+ (I believe).. am I doing something wrong or is there anything else I should try. I didnt try the older apk (released November 1st) since I dont think it will work in Canada (i might try it later though). any other suggestions would be appreciated!

No, there is nothing you are doing wrong. The Sony Android TV APKs just don't work on the MI Box. At least I never came across a user so far who was able to get it running.

Yes, the MI Box is able to passthrough DD+... But the device it's connected to must support the decoding of DD+ streams. Sorry for being not clear about this in my previous post. But if this is the problem, the app just crashes instead of giving a spinning circle.

I really don't know why this doesn't work on the MI, because reading the specs it supports PlayReady and the same Winedevine Level like the Shield. So concerning DRM support it should work.

I think the Apps use PlayReady for DRM. Playback in Chrome uses Winedevine. So could you check if you are able to playback videos in Chrome like I described here?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=70121791&postcount=545

If this works, than something with the PlayReady implementation of the MI Box maybe wrong.

Playback in Chrome (if it works) would in my opinion be the best solution for now on the MI Box. I would recommend buying a air mouse or using keyboard/mouse combo for Chrome. When the video is playing, you should also be able to control basic things with the remote. I think last time I tried, I was able to Pause/Resume with Dpad Center and skipping Forward/Backwards with Right/Left.

AmirH

Jun 22, 2009
Tried latest v4.2.xx from recent post, but it doesn't launch at all. (ADT-1)

IDK, I was able to transfer the APK to my device via SDCard and install using ESFileExplorer.
I gave up working on it for lack of support of navigation using the remote.

On Another note, Amazon Video coming to the Shield this Month via OTA update!!!

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
IDK, I was able to transfer the APK to my device via SDCard and install using ESFileExplorer.
I gave up working on it for lack of support of navigation using the remote.

On Another note, Amazon Video coming to the Shield this Month via OTA update!!!

Really? Wonder if those apks will work on nexus player or adt-1?

KingNothing81

Oct 30, 2016

Really? Wonder if those apks will work on nexus player or adt-1?
I don't think this will work. The Amazon Video App will come preinstalled in firmware image like they do on the Sony TVs. So they are optimised only for the Shield.

Nexus Player (and ADT-1 I think) is x86 based... Shield uses ARM architecture. So I guess this will prevent this working like with the Sony Apks. But we will have to see.

Reactions: s--c

JohnHenryIron

Sep 20, 2014
I didn't know if this had been mentioned yet, I'm having trouble viewing this threads previous pages but the Shield TV is getting a native Amazon Prime video app, presumably 4k HDR. When the update is live I will absolutely pull it and put it up..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Admin note: by the request of Amazon, we have removed the attached files. Please refrain from reposting. Thread closed.
    Full write up on the project here:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/prime-video-launcher-android-tv-solution-will-blaschko-ma

Screenshots:
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAAP-AAAAJDRjZjg2Y2JiLWIwYjAtNGUzMy04NDliLTk2ZDhiZjBmZjNiNw.png

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAYVAAAAJGU0MzdiNWQyLTUxZmMtNGQ2OS1iNzJhLTVjMjJlYzYxMTRmMQ.png

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAbNAAAAJDNjZTU1ZmEzLTI3M2EtNGQxNC05ZmFiLTgwODQ2NDFhODcxYg.png

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAVKAAAAJDQ1NDQ5MDI4LTAzODktNGI0Zi05M2ZjLTY5Y2Y2NDc0MGI4MQ.png
    Its weird. The option has always been there and even if you toggle it, the quality still plays in SD. Ironically, if you play the same video, in the chrome browser, on the Shield TV, the quality is night and day better.

I've figured out how to play the video in an embedded browser, would this be preferable to launching the Amazon app? It would significantly lower the dependency on the other APK, that's for sure.

Maybe I can make it an option on first launch?
    Hi there
    anyone have seen a working eu (de) version anywhere out there?
    Update of my TV got released yesterday and I just pulled this from my TV and did a quick test on my shield.
    Could login and it said that my sony got successfully connected. :D

EDIT: Grab the APK at APKmirror
    Same MD5 as mine and they verified the signature.

THX
    Chaos
    What about using the attached APK? This was the original one that worked on the Nexus Player (from the sony android tv) before Amazon changed something to disable it.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for all the work!

Doing a quick decompile of that app (and ~20 minutes browsing).

In MainActivity, this section is amusing (that error should never be thrown):
    Code:
    signedAsExpected = true;
    if (!signedAsExpected) { ... throw error... }

Otherwise, it looks like the following issues are present:
    • The app is checking the signing key against a known signature retrieved from the web, I think this came up with previous development work (https://www.airpair.com/android/posts/adding-tampering-detection-to-your-android-app for a local example)
    • The app is checking the application version, Amazon could have set this to always return "expired"
    • The app is checking the device information, if the above is not true, this will have to be faked in some convincing way--either editing device properties (which could break other things) or changing the source
    • Decompiling and signing the APK again might break compatibility with x86 devices using Houdini to interpret ARM commands (I'm not 100% on how this works, exactly)

I thought I could walk around this check, but even forcing a video to play (via the adb command "adb shell am start -n com.amazon.aiv.us/com.amazon.avod.playbackclient.EdPlaybackActivity -e asin B008Y7Y6QU") gives me a LICENSE_ERROR--I received a different error before logging in to Amazon. I think they just plain revoked the license distributed with this device (if we got around the signing issue, could we drop the mobile license in?).

None of the other activities listed in the Manifest offer anything that seems immediately useful.

Other points of interest:

TLDR:
    It looks really unlikely that we'll be able to use the Sony TV app as the basis for further efforts unless we hijack calls to authenticate both the signing key (I'm pretty sure this is a remote check, not a local one) and maybe the license verification. Even then, we'll have to be able to find a compatible license (mobile app?) and put it into the APK.

I don't want to repeat too much of the research that has already been done with this particular APK, but you'll find some of the efforts online, both in XDA and other places. Basically the app would require an entire rewrite plus some fancy local network tricks (beyond the layman's ability to sideload an APK). Efforts might be better off seeing if we can find and port the settings that allow 4k video into the mobile app--then again that information might be tied to the license.