AMOLED burn-in problem

Search This thread

BlueFlame4

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 10, 2011
Dresden, Germany
Hey everyone!

Yesterday I noticed a blue bar at the top of my screen. It's my statusbar which has burned into my display. If I open a complete white screen, it's clearly visible (one can even see the clock, lol).
I didn't use my phone excessively, didn't use it as a night clock or something, I just used it actively ~3 hours a day.

I'm thinking about contacting Samsung as I bought it on 2nd March 2011 - so AFAIK I should still have warranty on it. I'm now asking myself what Samsung would do - either repairing it (I don't think so) or sending me a new device? I'm a bit afraid that they will send me a i9001 since the i9000 is not manufactured anymore.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with AMOLEDs from Samsung and can tell me something about their warranty regulations?

Best Regards and thanks in advance, guys!

Blue

Last edited:

AlwaysDroid

Mar 17, 2012
Edmonton
Hey everyone!

Yesterday I noticed a blue bar at the top of my screen. It's my statusbar which has burned into my display. If I open a complete white screen, it's clearly visible (one can even see the clock, lol).
I didn't use my phone excessively, didn't use it as a night clock or something, I just used it actively ~3 hours a day.

I'm thinking about contacting Samsung as I bought it on 2nd March 2011 - so AFAIK I should still have warranty on it. I'm now asking myself what Samsung would do - either repairing it (I don't think so) or sending me a new device? I'm a bit afraid that they will send me a i9001 since the i9000 is not manufactured anymore.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with AMOLEDs from Samsung and can tell me something about their warranty regulations?

Blue

I have not had this problem and my sgs is 2 years old. And I doubt that you will get a new one because it is not made anyway. They will probably just repair it.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: BlueFlame4

ballsofsteel

Aug 16, 2010
London
The problem is less pronounced with the sgs 1 compared to the sgs 2 but it is definitely there. The status bar displays the same stuff all of the time and it is prone to screen burn in . Try one of the amoled burn in apps on the market and see if they help your device or not. They didnt remove the problem entirely but at least I don't get this obvious blue line across the top of my screen when I watch videos or do anything else in landscape.

gcuchiha

Jul 8, 2011
I've got the exact same problem . Its mostly on the top left of the screen(status bar area) and very light bluish tint throughout the status bar. Doesn't bother me too much though.

BTW I use my phone a lot.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

BlueFlame4

Mar 10, 2011
Dresden, Germany
The point is that I read a lot of scripts and books on my screen and thus the blue bar is quite annoying. What do I have to consider when I send it back to Samsung?

My idea was to flash a stock ROM from sammobile and wipe everything. Do I have to do more (e.g. downgrade Bootloader or something)?

BlueFlame4

Mar 10, 2011
Dresden, Germany
I really doubt samsung will do anything about it.. They most likely sent it back as "everything is fine" i think it's very rare they switch screens (or phones). I think it's just user traces...

Well, actually it's not just a trace from usage. If I cracked my display or something similar, THAT would be a usage trace. I see what I can do... Not sure though if I should really send it back since I love my i9000 ;)

DanielSanchez

Jul 21, 2012
Dammit, my second i9000 got this 2. It ran stock for my friend, and the menu icons like contacts, messaging, browser and apps got burnt in... it's unbearable.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

ballsofsteel

Aug 16, 2010
London
Dammit, my second i9000 got this 2. It ran stock for my friend, and the menu icons like contacts, messaging, browser and apps got burnt in... it's unbearable.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Possibly a defective unit? Under normal circumstances, in no way should this happen unless you leave the screen on at high brightness displaying the same stuff for an extended period of time.

I max out the brightness of my SGS since day 1 and I only notice burn in on the status bar. Although I admit, I have changed from Touchwiz launcher to launcher pro, adw ex, go, zeam, apex, nova, lightning, back to zeam and now Apex, so the icons on my launchers and home screens have shifted quite a bit in position thus eliminating the possibility of burn in. You do have to make sure that you do not display the same stuff for an extended period of time using OLED displays.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Blue is known to be the worst color for screen burn in on amoled, which begs the question....why blue ics theme Samsung? :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Hey everyone!

Blue
    Hey everyone!

Blue

I have not had this problem and my sgs is 2 years old. And I doubt that you will get a new one because it is not made anyway. They will probably just repair it.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app
    The problem is less pronounced with the sgs 1 compared to the sgs 2 but it is definitely there. The status bar displays the same stuff all of the time and it is prone to screen burn in . Try one of the amoled burn in apps on the market and see if they help your device or not. They didnt remove the problem entirely but at least I don't get this obvious blue line across the top of my screen when I watch videos or do anything else in landscape.
    I've got the exact same problem . Its mostly on the top left of the screen(status bar area) and very light bluish tint throughout the status bar. Doesn't bother me too much though.

BTW I use my phone a lot.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2