• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question An A52 4G Dilemma

Search This thread

NA0600

Jun 1, 2018
So this past summer I purchased a 4G version of the A52 from Amazon, my main reason being it was cheaper than the 5G. Now I'm finding that this choice may be affecting my carrier situation. I am in the United States, and had Cricket Wireless at the time of purchasing the phone. It worked for about 4 hours, then the service quit on me. Apparently Cricket claimed that my phone did not have the proper technology, blah blah blah, something to do with the discontinuation of 3G and or VOLTE. This obviously does not make sense, since this phone is from 2021 and would not be made with old tech. Anyway, I got them to turn my sevice back on, after it being in a "suspended" state. It was still working for a while, and then some time in september I think Cricket sent a text to me (and my fiance as well, also has a phone cricket doesn't like) saying that they would start redirecting our calls to customer service to get us to "upgrade" since the phones would supposedly stop working completely in February or whenever 3G is supposed to go kaput. So, we switched to Mint, who claimed that our phones would both work on their network, and they did, except that the service sucks, even while being in a modest sized city. It also has little to no service at my work, and I'm convinced that T-mobile's service, at least through Mint, absolutely sucks.

So, my question is, what do you all suggest? Does anyone have this model, and what carrier are you with? What kind of luck (or lack thereof) has anyone been having?

Sorry if this has no place here, just doing all I can to get some answers

ShaDisNX255

Well, I don't think I have a clear answer to your question, this is something that I found very very weird. I handed over a Galaxy S9+ to my fiancee who's carrier name I forget, I think it also got acquired by T-Mobile, but I'm not 100% certain. However, the phone didn't work properly. I can't remember what problems exactly it had but they were network related. Turns out that if you're going to change phones you need to go to a store for them to configure it and change it in their system. Otherwise it will either not work or not work properly.

And this was also the case with her sister who bought an unlocked, Mexican phone and she also had to take it to the store for them to configure it. It would have these problems unless she took it to them.

You would assume that all you need is to insert the SIM and it would work out the box but I don't know why this carrier had this method which just makes everything so annoying and complicated when it doesn't need to be. Oh and this isn't a one time thing, every time they changed phones they would need to do this! So you should probably look at going this route, it's my best guess.

EDIT: Oh and also before we knew this, we had also purchased a Galaxy Note 3 (which yeah it's old, but had 4G when I used it with my carrier and all of a sudden it turned to 3G when used on her carrier) so we ended up giving it away. So it was definitely a carrier problem. It was so annoying.

Reactions: NA0600

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I don't think I have a clear answer to your question, this is something that I found very very weird. I handed over a Galaxy S9+ to my fiancee who's carrier name I forget, I think it also got acquired by T-Mobile, but I'm not 100% certain. However, the phone didn't work properly. I can't remember what problems exactly it had but they were network related. Turns out that if you're going to change phones you need to go to a store for them to configure it and change it in their system. Otherwise it will either not work or not work properly.

And this was also the case with her sister who bought an unlocked, Mexican phone and she also had to take it to the store for them to configure it. It would have these problems unless she took it to them.

You would assume that all you need is to insert the SIM and it would work out the box but I don't know why this carrier had this method which just makes everything so annoying and complicated when it doesn't need to be. Oh and this isn't a one time thing, every time they changed phones they would need to do this! So you should probably look at going this route, it's my best guess.

EDIT: Oh and also before we knew this, we had also purchased a Galaxy Note 3 (which yeah it's old, but had 4G when I used it with my carrier and all of a sudden it turned to 3G when used on her carrier) so we ended up giving it away. So it was definitely a carrier problem. It was so annoying.