• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

An insane GCAM camera port will make your OP8P a camera BEAST

Search This thread

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
I'm totally speechless, today i swapped my S20 + for a OP8P, and TBH the camera is better but they where close.

I spent quite a bit of time, and as an avid GCAM user i tried MANY GCAM ports, all where pretty much crap, or not really better than stock, but, BUT! THAN, i found Parrot043 mod. I installed made my usual tweaks, and what i have saw is literally INSANE, this camera mod, literally destroy everything i have ever tried, and believe me i tried hundreds of them in my life.

1. If you have a previous GCAM, open the camera, hold and press on the icon on the homescreen, press app info, clear cache, and data.

2. Uninstall the app, reboot the phone. Than install Parrot 043 link > https://gofile.io/d/BpCWFx - also alternative host - https://easyupload.io/k6t42a

3. Go into the settings of the GCAM, turn on HDR enhanced, into advanced section, into HDR frames, and set 35, enable sabre, just under the HDR enhanced frames option.

4. Restart the camera app, go into darkness, take a photo with your camera app, and than take a photo with the GCAM mod, BE AMAZED.

P.S. Do not touch anything else, maybe turn on H265 for videos, and 4K for the back camera, increase video bitrate to 50mbps + and that's it.

P.P.S. ALWAYS make sure you have HDR enhanced on! it makes taking moving objects harder/blurry, but for low light its EPIC.

And here is camera comparasion of stock, night mode, and GCAM

Stock for scale,

https://i.ibb.co/cQf0BXC/IMG-20200602-040720.jpg

Stock night mode,

https://i.ibb.co/x7xwfN3/IMG-20200602-040433.jpg

GCAM ( personally tweaked)

https://i.ibb.co/2nPycDV/IMG-20200602-040511.jpg

Last edited:

Truant_Luce

May 14, 2016
1. What phone are you using?

2. Did you follow the steps suggested?

3. Do you have GCAM folder, with some configs installed?

4. Try with sabre off.

OnePlus 8 Pro IN2025 10.5.8 xXx rom currently.

Had gcam installed from xXx, force stopped, cleared data, uninstalled with reflashing rom to remove as system app, then rebooted. Installed the other. Tried clearing data, rebooting again, made the one you recommended a system priv app, but it keeps crashing the moment I open it. I can't even open settings, because it crashes on open.

I have tried modifying the permissions, tried a previous version, still crashes on start. At the time, no other gcam folder.

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013

Had gcam installed from xXx, force stopped, cleared data, uninstalled with reflashing rom to remove as system app, then rebooted. Installed the other. Tried clearing data, rebooting again, made the one you recommended a system priv app, but it keeps crashing the moment I open it. I can't even open settings, because it crashes on open.

I have tried modifying the permissions, tried a previous version, still crashes on start. At the time, no other gcam folder.

Its the sabre i think, you need to somehow turn it off, sometimes older GCAM ports mix with new and bugs happen, its either that, or its the sabre. In order to fix this, IF IT IS THE SABRE, you will need to wipe cache data from recovery or even FORMAT the phone, look at the photos, the upgrade is ENORMOUS, but it depends of how much you need it, i would suggest for someone with the same version as your model/firmware, test the mod to see if its the sabre or not, i had this issue on my Mi Note 10, all GCAM ports looked the same, no improvements, i tried everything only the format make the settings change post installation.

EDIT, it might be even the rom! i just saw you are on custom, sorry buddy.

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
Always keen to give GCAM a go (not sure why i have such a soft spot for it lol)...

Anyways, thanks for sharing this. Attached are a few samples of me jumping into a store room with the door slightly opened (it's pretty dim inside).

Attachments

• Stock_point_and_shoot.jpg
    Stock_point_and_shoot.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 4,980
  • GCAM_point_and_shoot.jpg
    GCAM_point_and_shoot.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 4,899
  • Stock_NightScape.jpg
    Stock_NightScape.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 4,849
  • GCAM_Astro.jpg
    GCAM_Astro.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 4,710
Reactions: PerCompLLC

names

Jun 28, 2013

I can confirm it's related to the xXx rom. Uninstalled completely and the camera installed and worked fine, but when you reinstall the camera breaks.

Reactions: dazed1

ohlin5

Feb 24, 2012
Verizon Blows, USA
This thread has me very interested.. @xXx - any chance you could glance at this at some point and see if it warrants inclusion in an xXx magisk rom future update? No pressure, just a thought. Some of the picture samples do indeed appear impressive! Thank you!!

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
Always keen to give GCAM a go (not sure why i have such a soft spot for it lol)...

Anyways, thanks for sharing this. Attached are a few samples of me jumping into a store room with the door slightly opened (it's pretty dim inside).

The difference is much more apparent when there is less light, but even here the GCAM is superior. Can you post full res photos please? thanks.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
OP camera is better in low light than this, and you can't use any of the other cameras, so until they solve that problem for the OP 8 pro I'll be sticking to the stock camera.

You lose more functionality than you gain in picture quality.

Reactions: saphirrot

xenix96

Dec 31, 2011
OP camera is better in low light than this, and you can't use any of the other cameras, so until they solve that problem for the OP 8 pro I'll be sticking to the stock camera.

Figured out the same. Low light is way to sharp and dark.

Well on european in2023 op8pro the low light picture quality on this gcam is 10 times better then op stock cam for sure!

And yes you lose ability of other cameras.

But for the moment this gcam is my friend in making low light pictures ?????

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: dazed1

vuoshino

Sep 27, 2009
roma
I'm totally speechless, today i swapped my S20 + for a OP8P, and TBH the camera is better but they where close.

I spent quite a bit of time, and as an avid GCAM user i tried MANY GCAM ports, all where pretty much crap, or not really better than stock, but, BUT! THAN, i found Parrot043 mod. I installed made my usual tweaks, and what i have saw is literally INSANE, this camera mod, literally destroy everything i have ever tried, and believe me i tried hundreds of them in my life.

1. If you have a previous GCAM, open the camera, hold and press on the icon on the homescreen, press app info, clear cache, and data.

2. Uninstall the app, reboot the phone. Than install Parrot 043 link > https://gofile.io/d/BpCWFx - also alternative host - https://easyupload.io/k6t42a

3. Go into the settings of the GCAM, turn on HDR enhanced, into advanced section, into HDR frames, and set 35, enable sabre, just under the HDR enhanced frames option.

4. Restart the camera app, go into darkness, take a photo with your camera app, and than take a photo with the GCAM mod, BE AMAZED.

P.S. Do not touch anything else, maybe turn on H265 for videos, and 4K for the back camera, increase video bitrate to 50mbps + and that's it.

P.P.S. ALWAYS make sure you have HDR enhanced on! it makes taking moving objects harder/blurry, but for low light its EPIC.

And here is camera comparasion of stock, night mode, and GCAM

Stock for scale,

https://i.ibb.co/cQf0BXC/IMG-20200602-040720.jpg

Stock night mode,

https://i.ibb.co/x7xwfN3/IMG-20200602-040433.jpg

GCAM ( personally tweaked)

https://i.ibb.co/2nPycDV/IMG-20200602-040511.jpg

Hello. But this is good only for the night photo or is good in every situation? What is sabre option? We dont need to choose an xml file? Thanks and i like this tipe of treadh

Flash-User

Jul 29, 2012
mhhh i actually tried different google gcams but until now - and since the last update - the stock cam is the best one for me, just in case with a lot of ( direct sun)light (google gcam often blows the sky just into white) and also in dark environments the stock cam is better than the gcam. But i think, gcams and stock cam could be better with updates over time, the software for the sensor has a much higher optimization potential.

dazed1

Jul 24, 2013
mhhh i actually tried different google gcams but until now - and since the last update - the stock cam is the best one for me, just in case with a lot of ( direct sun)light (google gcam often blows the sky just into white) and also in dark environments the stock cam is better than the gcam. But i think, gcams and stock cam could be better with updates over time, the software for the sensor has a much higher optimization potential.

This GCAM is different. Havent tested it alot in daylight, but it should win even in daylight. No the stock camera is not even close to being better or equal to GCAM, you can see in the picture, or test by yourself.

Hello. But this is good only for the night photo or is good in every situation? What is sabre option? We dont need to choose an xml file? Thanks and i like this tipe of treadh

No need for XML.

Sabre is a better HDR merge metod, it should offers better details especially in low light. Should be in every situation, test it, you got nothing to lose.

What do you mean better than this, are you claiming that i did something wrong with the stock pictures?

And this camera mod is mostly for low light/night mode, you don't need to use it solo and not having the option to use other cameras, you can use both, you use GCAM for low light, and other cameras as needed.

Try it with the settings suggested, and you will forget that the main camera exist in low light.

Thanks for sharing this, will look deeper into it (presently on Urnyx GCam port).... Just as an info:
This GCam and many more ports are on Celsozavedos excellent Gcam Port hub !

This camera destroys Urnyx in low light, its like 2 gen ahead. I tested it last night, took like 3 photos, and deleted Urnyx instantly, its not even close.

Last edited:

Flash-User

Jul 29, 2012
This GCAM is different. Havent tested it alot in daylight, but it should win even in daylight. No the stock camera is not even close to being better or equal to GCAM, you can see in the picture, or test by yourself.

No need for XML.

Sabre is a better HDR merge metod, it should offers better details especially in low light. Should be in every situation, test it, you got nothing to lose.

What do you mean better than this, are you claiming that i did something wrong with the stock pictures?

And this camera mod is mostly for low light/night mode, you don't need to use it solo and not having the option to use other cameras, you can use both, you use GCAM for low light, and other cameras as needed.

Try it with the settings suggested, and you will forget that the main camera exist in low light.

This camera destroys Urnyx in low light, its like 2 gen ahead. I tested it last night, took like 3 photos, and deleted Urnyx instantly, its not even close.

Why Do you hype this camera when a lot of people tell something different? I tried the mod already and as I said, the Stock cam is better (for me) also in lowlight. I tested it in a very dark room. Also for daylight shots Stock is a way better, just in the view of sharphness.

So, your hyped gcam mod isn't the mother of all cam apps...

Update: I tested again in another Environment and again, Stock is a lot better. Not sure what's wrong with your Stock cam. Are you running the latest Version? ??Seems there is anything wrong on your side. I for myself can't share your opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: scott.hart.bti

Top Liked Posts