• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

And then there was 5, the beta 5

Search This thread

100rabh7791

May 25, 2012
Guys my vibration for notifications is not working even when i put it to Vibration mode. I'm not sure what to do.

Any help?? And yes my vibration motor is ok but something with settings. Help

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Notification for Q beta 5 popped up tonight. I downloaded and installed. It's cool, I like the dark theme. And I like the option for 3 different gesture controls; the new Gestures, the Pie 2 button gestures, and old school 3 buttons.

But the biggest feature I wanted, they said was in beta 5, doesn't seem to be. The swipe down from anywhere on the screen to pull down the notification shade, like all third party launchers do. It was said to be in beta 5. How do I enable it?

And overall the new gesture swiping system feels wonky and weird. Like how is swiping on the screen to go back, better than actually using a back button? You tap n the back button and in an instant immediately your back, but swiping back takes a weird movement, and feels like you can almost drop your phone, and takes a second or so. it's just stupid.

dmb219

Feb 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Notification for Q beta 5 popped up tonight. I downloaded and installed. It's cool, I like the dark theme. And I like the option for 3 different gesture controls; the new Gestures, the Pie 2 button gestures, and old school 3 buttons.

But the biggest feature I wanted, they said was in beta 5, doesn't seem to be. The swipe down from anywhere on the screen to pull down the notification shade, like all third party launchers do. It was said to be in beta 5. How do I enable it?

And overall the new gesture swiping system feels wonky and weird. Like how is swiping on the screen to go back, better than actually using a back button? You tap n the back button and in an instant immediately your back, but swiping back takes a weird movement, and feels like you can almost drop your phone, and takes a second or so. it's just stupid.

I agree, I used the new gestures and tried to like them but I can't see that it's an improvement. Seems like a change made for the sake of change.

I used gestures when it first came out for a bit, then went back to the pill because I don't like the swipe up and hold for recents v. swipe up once (it's sooo much faster to switch apps). However, I found myself wanting to just swipe the screen to go back. So, I went back to gestures and stayed. Now the up and hold feels pretty natural, and in B5 it's a lot less glitchy. The new tap and hold for the side menu doesn't work for sheet though. They really need to work on that. I can barely get it to work. Anyway, hopefully by the stable release Google will have figured out the gestures more. They also need to get rid of the bottom bar completely. It's useless at this point. Google clearly didn't have a very good plan when they decided to do this lol.

lohanchien

Dec 15, 2007
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
I used gestures when it first came out for a bit, then went back to the pill because I don't like the swipe up and hold for recents v. swipe up once (it's sooo much faster to switch apps). However, I found myself wanting to just swipe the screen to go back. So, I went back to gestures and stayed. Now the up and hold feels pretty natural, and in B5 it's a lot less glitchy. The new tap and hold for the side menu doesn't work for sheet though. They really need to work on that. I can barely get it to work. Anyway, hopefully by the stable release Google will have figured out the gestures more. They also need to get rid of the bottom bar completely. It's useless at this point. Google clearly didn't have a very good plan when they decided to do this lol.

^^^this

cougar11

Sep 26, 2010
Tap and hold gesture works perfectly fine with me on apps that have the side shelf....Play Store...Gmail...etc.

Just tap the edge and hold it....a sec later the side shelf pops up...... Simple.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Can someone confirm if the Chase Bank app is working on rooted Q5?
If you download the previous version of the Chase app, it works fine.
https://apkdownloadforandroid.com/download/615/371000008/
Latest Chase update does not...

It may prompt you to update the app when you open it, click the update button, which opens the Play Store (don't actually update). Then close it out and reopen the app.
Should then be able to login.
Quirky little work around, but at least it works.
Just did it myself, to electronically deposit a check and had no issues.
Hope that helps.

eldode

Jan 24, 2012
i opt in and my mobile downloaded it
but when mobile restart it gives me cannot find valid os
any solution

100rabh7791

May 25, 2012
Tap and hold gesture works perfectly fine with me on apps that have the side shelf....Play Store...Gmail...etc.

Just tap the edge and hold it....a sec later the side shelf pops up...... Simple.

Tap and hold gestures makes my BP rise as it just doesn't work 9/10 times

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
What happened to the feature supposed to be in beta 5; swipe anywhere on home screen to bring down the notification shade?

Which all third party launchers have had for years, and I was excited Google finally bringing it to stock. Where's the setting to enable it?

You must be the gesture whisperer. Mine doesn't work ever really. I've tried a lot of different ways too.

arrrgh

Lost WiFi network as well, had to enter password again.

Also I have had the assistant gesture hints stay on permanently.

Lastly it seems that if you create the separate xda labs forum link and add it to home it'll eventually change back to the main xda labs app.

gogoffm

May 2, 2017
WiFi not working anymore for me. Can't connect . Can I flash latest July stock image to go back to PIE or do I need to use OTA to get back. Will kill my lte volume.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the release stopped again like Beta4? Wanted to load the B5 but just read that the ota is stopped due to issues......
    I just got notification again for beta 5. Ota is back on.
    Q Beta Folks,

Time to rejoice, its out!!

https://developer.android.com/preview/download.html

Let's see what's not working...root et al

Update:
    So, I flashed the image I downloaded for my pixel3xl. All good so far! Few notables for me:

1. The animations are super smooth. I somehow tolerated through bad animations in beta 4. No more!! I am seeing significant performance improvements compared to Beta 4!
    2. Override force dark in dev options works now and not force closing the settings app. Many apps are dark. Some notable exceptions are gmail, whatsapp, hangouts, google fi etc
    3. The root works fine.
    4. Most important of all: That nagging super white boot animation is gone! It now follows the dark theme setting and is completely black!! What a relief!! Thanks a ton Google for this alone!!
    5. A quick settings button is added for Dark theme. Nice! You can now toggle it quickly for some of those pesky apps which behave weird with forced dark mode.

I will keep editing this post in case I find something worth sharing.

I agree, I used the new gestures and tried to like them but I can't see that it's an improvement. Seems like a change made for the sake of change.

It will take getting used to but now if you ask me i can't go back to the pill method or 3 button navigation. The current one feels so much better and convenient. Give it time guys