• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Android 10 is now available for the Essential PH-1

Search This thread

avd

Aug 17, 2009
I assume now that it is official, that SafetyNet is passing ok so things such as GooglePay aren't a problem? I had avoided trying a beta because of the lack of SafetyNet failures on them from what I had read, and I tend to use GooglePay and a few games that need SafetyNet.

Google pay is working with unrooted, unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery.
Go figure.

Reactions: IronRoo

cowisland

May 2, 2011
I updated last week when the OTA came out. I am fully stock, not rooted. There was at times high screen off battery drain (up to 4% per hour) the first day after the update. After a reboot that stopped, and now I am instead seeing periods of better than usual screen off battery life (0.9% drain per hour). So overall there is a chance battery life could be better!

Also, I have not done a full wipe on this phone since I got it in July 2018, and it has gone through two Android version updates by now. Everything seems to be working fine, which is impressive, at least for me.

Just to reiterate, everything seems to be working OK on Android 10, wifi, Bluetooth, apps. Subjectively I am noticing a weaker phone signal after the upgrade (I am on AT&T in the US), but given that the battery life is fine that's probably a non-issue. I hope most other people have no issues as well!

Reactions: eKeith

mervinb

May 8, 2015
I'm on 100% stock and the battery life improvement is noticeable. Great work from Essential for a major update that seems to quite bug free.

Two banking apps had issues. The more responsive bank (it's Citi in Singapore) provided an update within 24 hours. Kudos. The other.... well their mobile app has a user rating of 1.9!

My Arnova gcam app had issues, but the latest beta is working. There's some functionality yet to be fixed, but it's useable.

All in all great that a phone of this vintage is in Android 10, and probably running smoother than it ever has!

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
I updated last week when the OTA came out. I am fully stock, not rooted. There was at times high screen off battery drain (up to 4% per hour) the first day after the update. After a reboot that stopped, and now I am instead seeing periods of better than usual screen off battery life (0.9% drain per hour). So overall there is a chance battery life could be better!

I'm on 100% stock and the battery life improvement is noticeable. Great work from Essential for a major update that seems to quite bug free.
!

Yes, battery is better I think, I it was great before, the most noticeable is when it switches to low battery which is lasting at least an hour longer now! Also switching to dark mode is good as it is easily noticeable now when in power saving mode. Great stuff!

Jahdiel2011

Oct 30, 2011
Bogotá
Reaaaaally impressed with Android 10 boost in battery life for The Essential Phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190911-104704.png
    Screenshot_20190911-104704.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_20190911-104713.png
    Screenshot_20190911-104713.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 238

kevinbakon

Apr 29, 2010
Houston
Come oooooooooon Verizon! As a long time Essential owner, this is the first time I recall having to wait on the newest update... and I don't like it one bit.
This is the first time I can say I've been jealous of Pixel owners. I'm more excited for Android 10 than I was for Pie and of course I can rely on Verizon to hold me back, once again

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
Come oooooooooon Verizon! As a long time Essential owner, this is the first time I recall having to wait on the newest update... and I don't like it one bit.
This is the first time I can say I've been jealous of Pixel owners. I'm more excited for Android 10 than I was for Pie and of course I can rely on Verizon to hold me back, once again
Same boat here, although I've been on Q beta, it'll be nice to get the final version. Hope they get the VoLTE issue straightened out first though.

Update finally came and VoLTE is fixed!!!!!

Last edited:

MiteshPuthran

Apr 16, 2014
Boston
[/COLOR]

Essential has finally released Android 10 for Verizon users. Just got the update.:D:D

Last edited:

kevinbakon

Apr 29, 2010
Houston
[/COLOR]

Essential has finally released Android 10 for Verizon users. Just got the update.:D:D

HECK yeah!!! Just got it too... Thanks for the heads up!!!

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quick question... My clipboard notification was only visible when I pulled down the notification tray. Now its visible at the top all of the time. How do I fix this in Android 10? I tried all of the available options that I could find and can't make it go away... That and it's on my lock screen all of the time, but I don't want it there. It wasn't this way with Pie

MiteshPuthran

Apr 16, 2014
Boston
HECK yeah!!! Just got it too... Thanks for the heads up!!!

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quick question... My clipboard notification was only visible when I pulled down the notification tray. Now its visible at the top all of the time. How do I fix this in Android 10? I tried all of the available options that I could find and can't make it go away... That and it's on my lock screen all of the time, but I don't want it there. It wasn't this way with Pie

I think you can change that in the notification settings for individual apps

kevinbakon

Apr 29, 2010
Houston

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190912-172202.png
    Screenshot_20190912-172202.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 190

kevinbakon

Apr 29, 2010
Houston
Even if you turn off notifications from that app altogether?

If I turn off notifications from the app altogether, the notification goes away... However, I access the clipboard via the drop down notification and if I turn it off completely I can't do that anymore. For now I've turned it off completely and added the app to my home screen, but I have to leave whatever app I'm using by pressing/gesturing home, then open the app to access the clipboard, then copy what I need, then revisit the app I was using to paste the contents... I've simply accessed the clipboard from the drop-down (saving myself the extra steps) since at least version 5.0 now, but I just can't figure it out with Android 10

innoth

Feb 16, 2018
UPdated to Sept 10th update.
but NO update for this problems :

1. Full dark mode but not on google feed
2. Force dark mode is good, but in Facebook app highlight text/Notification text is turn to white.
3. No Face unlock
4. Media crash on calendar sound
5. can`t use gesture navigation with 3rd party launcher

:( :(

Reactions: St.Noigel

Zack_Afro

Apr 7, 2017
Any one experiencing crazy slowness when driving and using for example maps and another app together like play music/ WhatsApp etc. It's painfully slow to the point that it will just too playing music for now reason requiring a disconnect and reconnect of Bluetooth ... Very strange.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Essential Phone
Samsung Galaxy S10e
1. Full dark mode but not on google feed
2. Force dark mode is good, but in Facebook app highlight text/Notification text is turn to white
AFAIK, the dark theme needs to be supported by the app. Apparently, the appripriate updates for Play Store and Gmail are gradually rolling out now. I am pretty sure the Google app will follow at some point...

innoth

Feb 16, 2018
AFAIK, the dark theme needs to be supported by the app. Apparently, the appripriate updates for Play Store and Gmail are gradually rolling out now. I am pretty sure the Google app will follow at some point...
Yes, but with CPL launcher google feed can turn to dark mode. Sadly nav gestures on android 10 cannot support with 3rd party launcher.

Does anyone realize that Focus mode is missing after update yesterday ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On Verizon, haven't received the update and tried just about everything I can find/think of. Cell, Wifi, with SIM, without SIM, Airplane Mode, clearing cache and data for Play Store and Services apps, etc... I'm reluctant to sideload the OTA because I don't want to lose my data. The phone is set up just the way I want it, but I'm anxious to try 10. This is the first time I haven't had the latest OS, on the day it came out and I can't find any info on the web for when it'll be available for all PH-1 users

I DM'd Essential on Twitter, and received this response regarding Verizon. This was from several days ago:

Thanks for checking in. The Android 10 update hasn't been released to the Verizon network yet; you're entirely correct that that's why you haven't seen the update. We anticipate it'll be released soon, so keep an eye out for it.
    I am on Verizon, stock rom and tried your method with airplane mode and WiFi restart. Didn't work for me. Still on Android 9 :(

Didn't work for me either, so I got sick of waiting and side loaded it.
    Once again I'm doing Sprints job for them. :laugh:
    Android 10 - Build QP1A.190711.107 is released. My PH-1 is updating OTA.:D

I got it too!!!!! I'm on AT&T. Woo Hoo!!! :D
    How's the battery life in Android Q?
    Is it the same with P or worse?

Can't really answer that definitively, it came out a few hours ago. I don't consider using Beta releases as proof, and the thing about battery life, is that it is so dependent on what you do with your phone, that each one of us will get different results.
    Still can`t use gesture navigation with 3rd party launcher?
    Yupp.. Add to my post..