Android 10 on Moto g6 play

Search This thread

ry755

Oct 12, 2016
Temecula, California
I tried v202, the vanilla build works fine (still no sound though), but the gapps build has some major issues. It seems like the setup wizard crashes, which messes up everything else.

I also noticed that it still says it has the September security patch, but the release notes say it has the October patch.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotKin

Grom9A

Nov 2, 2017
Only this error, but only if I see videos on the browser. YouTube working fine. Also if I download that video I can see it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-163524.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-163524.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 557

dotKin

Jun 19, 2019
Is not possible to have Magisk working on Android 10 GSIs, right? I've tried some things and I always get stucked at the bootloader looping with the text "N/A"

I tried:

• Patch the boot.img of Magisk Canary and install it from TWRP

• Flashing older as well as newest builds

It seems that every change to the boot.img will mess everything and won't boot. I don't know if is a problem with the GSI, the bootloader, or... maybe both?

Sands207

Oct 13, 2014
Portland,Maine
Is not possible to have Magisk working on Android 10 GSIs, right? I've tried some things and I always get stucked at the bootloader looping with the text "N/A"

I tried:

• Patch the boot.img of Magisk Canary and install it from TWRP

• Flashing older as well as newest builds

It seems that every change to the boot.img will mess everything and won't boot. I don't know if is a problem with the GSI, the bootloader, or... maybe both?
Try this magisk https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases/download/v200/magisk-phh.zip it should work with most GSI's out there

Last edited:

Spaceminer

Sep 9, 2016
Olympus Mons
Moto E (2020)
It was working with v200 but in v204 it refuses to boot with that magisk, happen the same with Luke's magisk, and every magisk I think. Did you manage to boot v204 with the phh's one?

You can try this.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/expressluke-gsis/files/Extras/phh-magisk-ten/

EDIT: Looks like you already did...

Did you disable dm-verity first?

I'm about to give it a go myself. I found it thanks to this.
https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/issues/981

Last edited:

dotKin

Jun 19, 2019
You can try this.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/expressluke-gsis/files/Extras/phh-magisk-ten/

EDIT: Looks like you already did...

Did you disable dm-verity first?

I'm about to give it a go myself. I found it thanks to this.
https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/issues/981
Yep, I already tried Luke's Magisk :/

I disabled dm-verity after flashing Magisk if the order does matter. I was thinking about going back to oreo to check if it's still possible to boot with Magisk (Maybe next week because my PC is being repaired) Maybe it's just Pie bootloader, and oreo's works fine? Idk, i'm not very experiencied in this stuff

Last edited:

Spaceminer

Sep 9, 2016
Olympus Mons
Moto E (2020)
SU, Exfat, and Viper on Android 10

How to fix superuser... Updated the SU fix one post below this.

1. Boot into TWRP and mount /system. Copy su.rc to /system/etc/init. Then change permissions to 0644.

2. While still in TWRP, navigate to /system/bin, and rename phh-su to su. Then set permissions to 0755.

3. Reboot.

How to install Viper...

1. Complete the steps above.

2. Install v4afx.apk from the attachments.

3. Open Viper4android, allow root access, and install the drivers when prompted.

4. Reboot, open Viper4android, then select the gear in the top right corner and enable "attach audio effects".

5. Viper will now work.

How to fix I mean, workaround the exfat problem...

For this selinux has to be permissive. Copy phh-on-boot.sh to /system/bin and set permissions to 0755. Reboot. Selinux is now permissive, and exfat formatted sdcards will mount.

* To do, make this flashable.

I mixed up rc files, the zip has been fixed.

Attachments

• SU-Viper-EXFAT.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Reactions: imyayi and dotKin

Spaceminer

Sep 9, 2016
Olympus Mons
Moto E (2020)
I found a much easier SU fix. This won't work on LOS 17 just yet but I'm working on that. For AOSP, open the superuser app that's included in the GSI, then open it's settings in the top right corner. Select superuser access, then reselect apps & adb. You'll see a toast that says something like, "superuser was granted to superuser". After this most root apps should work. To get all root apps working though you'll need to take one more extra step. Using a rootexplorer navigate to /system/bin/ select phh-su and create symlink to it in the same folder named su and reboot.

Update: I have acquired root on LOS 17. See this post. Flash in twrp. Enjoy!

Last edited:

ANARCHISTIC001

Mar 26, 2020
i got descendant,lineage,dirty unicorns+havoc os all android 10 installed on moto g6 play XT1922-2 finally.i was able to root the descendant rom as well with a magisk-phh.zip ..but now i am struggling to get it back to the way i had it as i bricked it again trying to root another rom which i cant remember which 1 it was :( back trying to disable encryption so i can format data with just a swipe lol.but android 10 can be installed on moto g6 play defenetly.i Had Havoc-OS-v2.9-20190914-phhgsi_arm_a-Official.img / DirtyUnicorns-14.0_111119-ARM-A.img / Descendant_4.0.1_arm_aonly.img and Lineage-17.1-20200309-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm_avN.img files to install all these roms with success.human error so i am trying to remember how i done it again now...joys...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found a much easier SU fix. This won't work on LOS 17 just yet but I'm working on that. For AOSP, open the superuser app that's included in the GSI, then open it's settings in the top right corner. Select superuser access, then reselect apps & adb. You'll see a toast that says something like, "superuser was granted to superuser". After this most root apps should work. To get all root apps working though you'll need to take one more extra step. Using a rootexplorer navigate to /system/bin/ select phh-su and create symlink to it in the same folder named su and reboot.

Update: I have acquired root on LOS 17. See this post. Flash in twrp. Enjoy!
    Can you guide us? I install the test img but cant boot on pie vendor

First flash the latest stock boot.img to remove any leftover traces of Magisk, which is now incompatible with phh's AOSP 10 builds.
    After that you'll need to disable encryption and dm-verity, if you haven't already done that:

- Download the dm-verity + forced encryption disabler zip here

- Boot into TWRP, go to Wipe, and press Format Data. This will wipe everything from the internal storage! Make sure you have backups stored somewhere else.
    - Reboot > Reboot Recovery
    - Copy the disabler zip to your phone and flash it

Now the test image should be able to boot on Pie vendor.

(There might be other/better ways of doing this, but those are the steps that worked for me)
    phh built an AOSP 10 test image for us which fixes the bootloop on Pie vendor. I tried it last night and everything seemed to work except sound. LTE works after adding the APN settings.

https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/issues/792#issuecomment-546130091
    phh built an AOSP 10 test image for us which fixes the bootloop on Pie vendor. I tried it last night and everything seemed to work except sound. LTE works after adding the APN settings.

https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/issues/792#issuecomment-546130091
    Glad to have it running with Pie and more stable, those are great news
    Answer 3: Motorola has already confirmed that the Moto G6 Play will only get one major OS upgrade, and being that we got Pie now that's all it will get unless a DEV figures out how to make a custom rom for Android 10.

I have no WiFi right now or I'd already be trying to build for us. They finally fixed the sources for our phone. Phh has Android 10 GSIs out. They'll boot if you flash the Oreo vendor, oem, and boot images first but it's very alpha at the moment. You also need to flash phh's modified magisk from his first Android 10 release. LTE is broken (3G works), and it has some graphics glitches. Most everything else is working fine though. It's not a daily driver yet but it's getting there fast. It will break LTE on stock. To fix that just flash your firmware and let it setup until it reactivates, then you can restore a backup like normal.