[Android 10][Stable] OOS 10.0.2 Installation/update guide with root + download!

Are you using dark mode?

• Yes

Votes: 262 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.3%
  • Yes, but I hate grey QS

Votes: 105 26.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

AndroidRooterKev

Sep 3, 2014
Yes Screenshot_20191202-022346.jpg

Reactions: HippoMan

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Confusion about dm-verity and encryption on 10.0.2 on a OnePlus 7 Pro

I've been reading about dm-verity and device encryption, but I am still a bit confused about these topics.

I'm pretty sure that my OnePlus 7 Pro (GM1917, running 10.0.2) is encrypted, but don't know whether or not it's set up with dm-verity.

My sketchy understanding is that dm-verity is a way to for mobile device manufacturers to prevent people from installing 3rd-party ROMs. Is that correct?

If so, then is it the case that the OnePlus 7 Pro is *not* protected by dm-verity? ... because I have indeed been able to install 3rd-party ROMs on my device.

Or is dm-verity something different from what I described here?

If I want to remove encryption on my device's filesystem when 10.0.2 is installed, do I have to also remove dm-verity protection? In other words, does decrypting my device require *two* tasks: (1) removing dm-verity and (2) removing encryption?

Anyway, my goal is to decrypt my 10.0.2-based device, and I don't care one way or the other about dm-verity unless it impacts my ability to perform this decryption in some way.

Thanks in advance for any clarification that any of you might be able to provide.

thekubiaks

Nov 3, 2012
I'm not a noob but am having a small issue I need help with, I cant get root after the 10.0.2 OTA update. I have an OP7Pro GM1917 that was running 9.5.13 rooted and TWRP. I finally allowed the OTA to 10.0.2 knowing I would lose root. After flashing TWRP Q 3.3.1-70, and then installing the zip the phone booted fine. As soon as I tried to flash Magisk 20.1, the phone would hang at fastboot. I can reflash TWRP Q 70 and the zip and the phone boots fine. I dont have any Magisk modules, I'm thinking it is a slot A/B thing? any ideas, thx

++ UPDATE ++ The fix was to use Magisk uninstaller.zip and flash via twrp. immediately after that flash Magisk 20.1 via TWRP. Boot phone normally and then install Magisk APK, now I have Root 10.0.2.....disco

Last edited:

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Before OTA is installed, do I need to reboot after disabling modules or can I simply toggle them off and then install OTA?

One time I got into a problem after an OTA when I didn't reboot after unistalling all my Magisk modules. I'm not sure what caused this, but it never happened in cases where I did indeed reboot after uninstalling the Magisk modules. This post-uninstallation reboot only takes a couple minutes or less, and I believe that it is a safer course of action.

PS: to be precise, these are the steps that always have worked for me ...

1. Download the ROM that you want to install, and copy it onto your sdcard. The latest 10.0.2 ROMs are downloadable via the OP of this thread
2. Uninstall all Magisk modules
3. Reboot
4. Go to Settings->System->System Updates->Local upgrade, select the ROM on your sdcard, and start the installation
5. After the installation is complete, *** DO NOT REBOOT ***
6. Run Magisk Manager, go to Downloads, and then search for, download, and install the TWRP A/B Retention Script. It won't ask for nor cause a reboot.
7. Immediately go to the main page of the Magisk Manager and select Install->Install->Install to inactive slot(After OTA)
8. After this completes, reboot
9. If you have been using Smurf, go back to recovery and flash it again. Then, reboot back to System (I'm not sure whether reflashing Smurf is actually necessary, but it doesn't do any harm).
10. Reinstall all your formerly installed Magisk modules. You'll notice that the A/B Retention Script is not showing as "installed", and this is correct. It is just used as a one-time setup before the Install to inactive slot step, described above.
.​

Last edited:

justinstrack

Apr 21, 2014
How do I get ROOT back after going from 9 to 10 OTA?

Ok last night the update came down 10.0.3 GM21AA so I downloaded it & installed.

I ran the same procedure, for ROOT, I did in the past since having 9 but now it doesn't work ok thats understandable.

I found a link to do a patched_masgisk.img. After doing that update I lost LTE connection. I was a bit in a panic but I was able to install from the OTA that downloaded earlier & get my LTE service back.

Question is now how do I get root back with twrp or magisk? Thank you in advance & Merry Christmas

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
can the same method be applied to 10.0.3

I have applied the same method (as detailed in my December 12 message, above) to go from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2, and later to go from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3. I'm optimistic that this same method will also work to go from 10.0.3 to 10.3.0.

I'm talking about doing this on a OnePlus 7 Pro (GM1917). I don't know if there would be issues with any other device.

I'll try it with 10.3.0 within the next few days on my device.
.​

Last edited:
Reactions: PRoDi79

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I have applied the same ROM update method described above to install 10.3.0 on my GM1917, and this update was successful.

To be clear and complete, these are the steps that I followed (there are a couple of minor clarifications here to what I wrote in my earlier message on this subject) ...

1. Download the ROM and copy it onto the top-level directory of your sdcard. I got 10.3.0 via the Oxygen Updater app, and it also can be found elsewhere.
3. Reboot
4. Go to Settings->System->System Updates and click on the little gear on the upper right. Then, select Local upgrade, select the ROM on your sdcard, and start the installation
6. Run Magisk Manager, go to Downloads, and then search for, download, and install the TWRP A/B Retention Script.
7, After this module installation is complete, *** DO NOT REBOOT ***
8. Immediately go to the main page of the Magisk Manager, and in the "Magisk is up to date" section, select INSTALL->INSTALL->Install to inactive slot(After OTA)
9. After this completes, reboot.
10. Your device should come back up rooted and with 10.3.0 shown in Settings->About phone->Build number
11. If you have been using Smurf, boot into recovery and flash it again. Then, reboot back to System (I'm not sure whether reflashing Smurf is actually necessary, but it doesn't do any harm).
12. Reinstall all your formerly installed Magisk modules. You'll notice that the A/B Retention Script is not showing as "installed", and this is correct. It is just used as a one-time setup before the Install to inactive slot step, described above.

Steps 1 through 11 took less than 30 minutes, with steps 1 and 4 taking the longest. I have a number of Magisk modules, so step 12 took maybe 10 minutes more, because I rebooted after each individual Magisk module was reinstalled, in order to make sure that its installation was successful.
.​

Last edited:

AndroidRooterKev

Sep 3, 2014
I have applied the same ROM update method described above to install 10.3.0 on my GM1917, and this update was successful.

To be clear and complete, these are the steps that I followed (there are a couple of minor clarifications here to what I wrote in my earlier message on this subject) ...

1. Download the ROM and copy it onto the top-level directory of your sdcard. I got 10.3.0 via the Oxygen Updater app, and it also can be found elsewhere.
3. Reboot
4. Go to Settings->System->System Updates and click on the little gear on the upper right. Then, select Local upgrade, select the ROM on your sdcard, and start the installation
6. Run Magisk Manager, go to Downloads, and then search for, download, and install the TWRP A/B Retention Script.
8. Immediately go to the main page of the Magisk Manager, and in the "Magisk is up to date" section, select INSTALL->INSTALL->Install to inactive slot(After OTA)
10. Your device should come back up rooted and with 10.3.0 shown in Settings->About phone->Build number
11. If you have been using Smurf, boot into recovery and flash it again. Then, reboot back to System (I'm not sure whether reflashing Smurf is actually necessary, but it doesn't do any harm).
12. Reinstall all your formerly installed Magisk modules. You'll notice that the A/B Retention Script is not showing as "installed", and this is correct. It is just used as a one-time setup before the Install to inactive slot step, described above.

Steps 1 through 11 took less than 30 minutes, with steps 1 and 4 taking the longest. I have a number of Magisk modules, so step 12 took maybe 10 minutes more, because I rebooted after each individual Magisk module was reinstalled, in order to make sure that its installation was successful.
.​
Wow! You have an extremely long upgrade process!

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Wow! You have an extremely long upgrade process!

These steps allow me to keep root and not lose my installed software and my System set-up after the upgrade. I have not found a shorter series of steps that don't require backing up the system software and restoring it after upgrade. If you know of a simpler way to upgrade without having to back up the system, without having to restore root (and maybe TWRP), and without having to restore the system software, could you post it? I'm glad to save any steps that I can.

Thank you.

PS: There really are only three key steps here: (1) flash the new ROM via System update without an immediate reboot; (2) install the A/B retention script in Magisk without an immediate reboot; (3) do the Install to inactive slot step in Magisk, followed by a reboot. Steps 2 and 3 didn't take more than an extra minute or so. The rest of the steps I listed in my previous post are to help people who are unsure to see and understand the details of how to do this.
.​

Last edited:

AndroidRooterKev

Sep 3, 2014
These steps allow me to keep root and not lose my installed software and my System set-up after the upgrade. I have not found a shorter series of steps that don't require backing up the system software and restoring it after upgrade. If you know of a simpler way to upgrade without having to back up the system, without having to restore root (and maybe TWRP), and without having to restore the system software, could you post it? I'm glad to save any steps that I can.

Thank you.

PS: There really are only three key steps here: (1) flash the new ROM via System update without an immediate reboot; (2) install the A/B retention script in Magisk without an immediate reboot; (3) do the Install to inactive slot step in Magisk, followed by a reboot. Steps 2 and 3 didn't take more than an extra minute or so. The rest of the steps I listed in my previous post are to help people who are unsure to see and understand the details of how to do this.
.​
I've never had to uninstall magisk modules before upgrading. I upgrade via TWRP and when I'm done and reboot to the new system, it picks up all my modules automatically and I don't need to do anything further.

My entire upgrade process takes like 5-10mins (mostly because the upgrade takes awhile).

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I've never had to uninstall magisk modules before upgrading. I upgrade via TWRP and when I'm done and reboot to the new system, it picks up all my modules automatically and I don't need to do anything further.

My entire upgrade process takes like 5-10mins (mostly because the upgrade takes awhile).

I got into a boot loop once when I didn't uninstall my Magisk modules. It might have been an unrelated coincidence, but I never had any problem when uninstalling the Magisk modules first.

Perhaps this is related to one specific Magisk module, but if so, I don't know which one, because I have tried lots of them at various times, and I didn't bother to investigate further. But in any case, I now play it safe and uninstall/reinstall all my Magisk modules when upgrading my ROM.

This also raises a question: is it possible to flash an OTA-flashable ROM via TWRP? I thought that TWRP-flashable ROMs had to be constructed differently from OTA-flashable ROMs. Am I mistaken about that?

Also, when flashing via TWRP, if data is not wiped, that is called a "dirty flash", and this sometimes can cause problems. If I wipe data to avoid a "dirty flash", then I would have to reinstall all my system software. But is it perhaps the case that an OTA-flashable ROM can indeed be flashed via TWRP, and if so, is a "dirty flash" not problematic in this case?
.​

AndroidRooterKev

Sep 3, 2014
I got into a boot loop once when I didn't uninstall my Magisk modules. It might have been an unrelated coincidence, but I never had any problem when uninstalling the Magisk modules first.

Perhaps this is related to one specific Magisk module, but if so, I don't know which one, because I have tried lots of them at various times, and I didn't bother to investigate further. But in any case, I now play it safe and uninstall/reinstall all my Magisk modules when upgrading my ROM.

This also raises a question: is it possible to flash an OTA-flashable ROM via TWRP? I thought that TWRP-flashable ROMs had to be constructed differently from OTA-flashable ROMs. Am I mistaken about that?

Also, when flashing via TWRP, if data is not wiped, that is called a "dirty flash", and this sometimes can cause problems. If I wipe data to avoid a "dirty flash", then I would have to reinstall all my system software. But is it perhaps the case that an OTA-flashable ROM can indeed be flashed via TWRP, and if so, is a "dirty flash" not problematic in this case?
.​

I heard about issues with modules being enabled when upgrading too, but I've personally never had any issues. Keep in mind I only use NoLimits and RiCE. Why not just disable them instead of uninstalling?

In regards to OTA, you can flash them as normal. There is no special construction needed. And yes, it is considered a dirty flash which maintains your data/settings - everything. So far, with OP7P, I've had no issues when dirty flashing since OB1 or initial stable.

I hate having to reinstall my apps (aka clean flashing) so 99% of the time, I do a dirty flash and it's always been fine. Even going from OB to stable or vice versa - all works fine.

sportytony

Sep 21, 2008
Apple iPhone 12

3. Reboot

.​
That's the way I've done it and knock wood. Never fall. ( Except I keep stock kernel as it's been great! Battery, etc.)

Reactions: HippoMan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9dL597u.png

Android 10 stable installation/update guide with root + more!

DO NOT INSTALL ON THE TMOBILE VARIENT OR DATA WILL BE BROKEN

*Data will be deleted if you install it on another region, be carefull!*

Android 10.0.2 OOS Stable OP7Pro (Global) download.

Android 10.0.2 OOS Stable OP7Pro (EU) download.

How to update/install from PIE(no root):
    1. Download the stable
    2. Copy the zip to the storage, don't put it in a folder.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the zip-> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the installation is complete, click Restart.
    5. Update successful.

How to update/install from OB(no root):
    1. Install the rollback zip and follow the first tutorial.

How to update/install with root(TWRP):
    *MAKE SURE TO HAVE EVERY MAGISK MODULE DISABLED BEFORE YOU DO THIS*
    1. Download the stable, magisk and TWRP installer
    2. Copy the zip to the storage
    3. Boot TWRP and decrypt
    4. Flash stable
    5. Flash TWRP Installer
    6. Reboot recovery
    7. Flash Magisk
    8. Reboot and enjoy!

How to update/install with root(no TWRP):
    *MAKE SURE TO HAVE EVERY MAGISK MODULE DISABLED BEFORE YOU DO THIS*
    1. Download the stable
    2. Copy the zip to the storage, don't put it in a folder.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the zip-> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the installation is complete, DO NOT PRESS RESTART
    5. Go to magisk manager
    6. Press Install > Install >Install to inactive slot(After OTA)
    7. Press reboot, now you've updated your rom with root!

If you encounter any weird issue if you upgraded from an older version. Try a clean install.
    New open beta for the oneplus 7!

Coming to the 7 pro soon...

Download: https://otafsg1.h2os.com/patch/amaz...10_OTA_010_all_1909112326_7c69ae9789221c3.zip

Changelog
    System
    • Optimized the animation effect when notification bar is being scrolled upwards
    • Re-designed Wi-Fi icon in Quick Settings
    • Fixed the crash issue with the Fingerprint unlock
    • Fixed he crash issue with default OnePlus Gestures
    • Fixed the dark screen issue on the lock screen while accessing Games
    • FIxed the crash issue with System UI caused by parallel Whatsapp app
    • General bug fixes and stability improvements
    I've patched the DP4 boot.img to include Magisk :)

Download magisk_patched.img

How to flash:
    Run the following fastboot commands when your phone is in bootloader mode
    fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
    fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
    Sure, but that's a tiny detail that I think makes all the difference.

I just think that if people wrote instructions more clear and properly clarified why you have to do some things a certain why, that it would make people ask less questions because they wouldn't be as confused.

I mean telling people "just do it like this and don't worry" doesn't help anyone. I think the goal should be to share knowledge, why things work the way they work and why they should be done a certain why, that's all.

What is confusing is that there are multiple different methods to do an update that work. Some people use local upgrade, some install via TWRP, etc.

The core piece of info is the way A/B partitioning works. Devices with A/B setup always update the other slot with the OTA zip in case there is an issue. It leaves the current slot working if anything goes wrong. Some flashes affect the slot you're not running on, some affect both and some only affect the current slot.

It's important to know what does which.

OTA update: affects the slot you are not currently running on. If you're on A, the B slot is updated to the new version. If you're on B, A is updated.

TWRP installer: flashes both slots with TWRP no matter which slot you are currently running, and removes root from both.

Magisk: only affects the current slot.

Given the above, if you want an updated slot with everything, the order is always the same. Assuming you are on slot A (you can see the current slot in TWRP or by running 'fastboot getvar current-slot'):

Install OTA. Slot B will now have the new OTA, without TWRP or magisk.

Install TWRP. Both slots will now have TWRP. Neither will have magisk, regardless of what you had before.

Install magisk. Slot A now has root (current slot) but slot B does not.

Reboot. Since an OTA was applied, your phone will automatically switch to the updated slot B (which has only TWRP, no magisk).

Flash magisk. Slot B, which was updated via OTA, will now have magisk.

Regardless of the method you use, the above holds true.