[Android 10][Stable] OOS 10.0.2 Installation/update guide with root + download!

Are you using dark mode?

• Yes

Votes: 262 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 8.3%
  • Yes, but I hate grey QS

Votes: 105 26.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I heard about issues with modules being enabled when upgrading too, but I've personally never had any issues. Keep in mind I only use NoLimits and RiCE. Why not just disable them instead of uninstalling?

Call Recording module is a known culprit. There may be others. Disabling the app doesn't work, you have to uninstall it.

Uninstalling all modules is to be conservative (maybe overly so). I actually don't to it either, but I only have a couple modules installed. But if you are going to skip the step (uninstalling all modules) at least know how to uninstall them if the phone doesn't boot after OTA.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

See my responses below in red font:

Ok last night the update came down 10.0.3 GM21AA so I downloaded it & installed.

I ran the same procedure, for ROOT, I did in the past since having 9 but now it doesn't work ok thats understandable.
What procedure? Hard to know what you did wrong here if you aren't specific.
After OTA, the easiest way to keep root, is NOT to reboot after the OTA, open Magisk Manager, flash TWRP as if it were a module. Then just install Magisk to the inactive slot. Just reboot and that should be it (you should be updated with root).

I found a link to do a patched_masgisk.img. After doing that update I lost LTE connection. I was a bit in a panic but I was able to install from the OTA that downloaded earlier & get my LTE service back.
A patched boot image is same as the kernel. You flashed the wrong (probably old version) kernel. Broken LTE or WiFi are common symptoms of wrong kernel (does not match currently installed OOS version).

Question is now how do I get root back with twrp or magisk?
Just root the same way you (probably) originally rooted the device. Just make sure you use updated files (current unofficial TWRP is -74, and current Magisk is 20.2):
- Fastboot boot twrp.img
- Flash TWRP installer zip (if you want TWRP installed on the phone)
- Flash Magisk

Reactions: galaxys

zulfikar

Jan 17, 2010
Netherlands
What is the easiest way to do a clean install and start like a new phone. I have to many junk on my phone and got many problems. I want to do a clean install and after that root my phone again.

siddarthaps

Dec 30, 2018
*** deleted ***
Posted to the incorrect thread. Apologies.

First of all thanks for your help in the forum. Being a newbie to rooting; I installed TWRP, Magisk and the elemental X kernel on my OP7pro. I installed this kernel because post flashing / installing TWRP, network, wifi and Bluetooth weren’t working.

But i want to go back to stock one plus kernel and still have TWRP, Magisk Manager and have my device still rooted.

Can you please guide me as to how i can achieve this without having network, Bluetooth / wifi issues and without losing the apps/data i already have currently?

I am currently running the oxygen os ROM on Android 10 beta 8.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Being a newbie to rooting; I installed TWRP, Magisk and the elemental X kernel on my OP7pro. I installed this kernel because post flashing / installing TWRP, network, wifi and Bluetooth weren’t working.

But i want to go back to stock one plus kernel and still have TWRP, Magisk Manager and have my device still rooted.

Can you please guide me as to how i can achieve this without having network, Bluetooth / wifi issues and without losing the apps/data i already have currently?

I am currently running the oxygen os ROM on Android 10 beta 8.

You should be able to flash the stock boot.img, then root again by fastboot boot TWRP.img, then flash TWRP installer zip and flash Magisk. You should be able to do this and keep your user data. But backup what is important to you, just in case.

My guess it that you lost network, WiFi and Bluetooth by incorrectly doing fastboot flash TWRP.img instead of fastboot boot TWRP.img.

The correct way is to boot TWRP.img temporarily, then flash the TWRP installer zip which correctly patches the boot partition to install TWRP.

By doing (incorrectly) fastboot flash TWRP.img, you are replacing the kernel with a modified one (only intended to be temporarily booted), and probably one that is not compatible with your phone's OS (breaking network, etc.).

Reactions: siddarthaps

siddarthaps

Dec 30, 2018
You should be able to flash the stock boot.img, then root again by fastboot boot TWRP.img, then flash TWRP installer zip and flash Magisk. You should be able to do this and keep your user data. But backup what is important to you, just in case.

My guess it that you lost network, WiFi and Bluetooth by incorrectly doing fastboot flash TWRP.img instead of fastboot boot TWRP.img.

The correct way is to boot TWRP.img temporarily, then flash the TWRP installer zip which correctly patches the boot partition to install TWRP.

By doing (incorrectly) fastboot flash TWRP.img, you are replacing the kernel with a modified one (only intended to be temporarily booted), and probably one that is not compatible with your phone's OS (breaking network, etc.).

@redpoint73 Thanks for the information. I had followed this tutorial while rooting my OP7Pro and had installed custom kernel as highlighted there --> https://www.androidexplained.com/oneplus-7-install-twrp/

How and from where to get the stock boot.img?

I will try the steps you have provided above. Before doing this i need to remove all the magisk modules installed right? Will the above process remove the elemental x kernel completely and be not present on a different slot etc?

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
How and from where to get the stock boot.img?

I will try the steps you have provided above. Before doing this i need to remove all the magisk modules installed right? Will the above process remove the elemental x kernel completely and be not present on a different slot etc?

You can get stock boot.img from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7-pro/how-to/rom-stock-fastboot-roms-oneplus-7-pro-t3931424

I've never actually flashed just the boot.img, so take that with a grain of salt. Worst case, you can fastboot flash the whole stock ROM. Not sure, but since are not flashing data partition, your user data should still be intact. But again, it's not guaranteed (never is) so backup what is important to you, before you mess with any of this.

I'm not a user of custom kernels, so I'm not that familiar with how they are installed (A/B partition wise). But flashing stock boot.img to both slots will remove the custom kernel.

siddarthaps

Dec 30, 2018
You can get stock boot.img from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7-pro/how-to/rom-stock-fastboot-roms-oneplus-7-pro-t3931424

I've never actually flashed just the boot.img, so take that with a grain of salt. Worst case, you can fastboot flash the whole stock ROM. Not sure, but since are not flashing data partition, your user data should still be intact. But again, it's not guaranteed (never is) so backup what is important to you, before you mess with any of this.

I'm not a user of custom kernels, so I'm not that familiar with how they are installed (A/B partition wise). But flashing stock boot.img to both slots will remove the custom kernel.

Thanks a lot for this !!! I followed exactly the steps you have mentioned above and everything worked perfectly. Data everything intact. Perfect Thanks. :)

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
[MENTION=660462]I had followed this tutorial while rooting my OP7Pro and had installed custom kernel as highlighted there --> https://www.androidexplained.com/oneplus-7-install-twrp/

The guide incorrectly instructed you to fastboot flash twrp.img, as I discussed previously.

It is also linking old versions of TWRP, which will not be compatible if you are phone is on Android 10. Need to use newer version of TWRP from the developer's webpage (current version is unofficial -75): https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...nt/recovery-unofficial-twrp-recovery-t3931322

I don't like those random websites with root guides. Never even heard of that website. How do you know the info is even good? Main problem with those websites, it that they don't get updated with the proper info, and they aren't going to provide you any support if thing go wrong (as they did). And those websites just steal content from xda and/or the developers, without giving proper credit. Case in point, the guide you linked is asking for donation, for work they didn't even develop. Sorry, but that guy doesn't deserve money for providing incorrect instructions! :p

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Thanks a lot for this !!! I followed exactly the steps you have mentioned above and everything worked perfectly. Data everything intact. Perfect Thanks. :)

Nice work. And you just now flashed the stock boot.img from the link I provided? If so, that was fast!

siddarthaps

Dec 30, 2018
The guide incorrectly instructed you to fastboot flash twrp.img, as I discussed previously.

It is also linking old versions of TWRP, which will not be compatible if you are phone is on Android 10. Need to use newer version of TWRP from the developer's webpage (current version is unofficial -75): https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...nt/recovery-unofficial-twrp-recovery-t3931322

I don't like those random websites with root guides. Never even heard of that website. How do you know the info is even good? Main problem with those websites, it that they don't get updated with the proper info, and they aren't going to provide you any support if thing go wrong (as they did). And those websites just steal content from xda and/or the developers, without giving proper credit. Case in point, the guide you linked is asking for donation, for work they didn't even develop. Sorry, but that guy doesn't deserve money for providing incorrect instructions! :p

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Nice work. And you just now flashed the stock boot.img from the link I provided? If so, that was fast!

That site is good for beginners. Yeah but confusing at some places. He has a youtube channel with video tutorials. But yeah its not up to date.

I myself extracted stock boot.img from the beta 8 OP7Pro OTA zip file. :good:

siddarthaps

Dec 30, 2018
That site is good for beginners. Yeah but confusing at some places. He has a youtube channel with video tutorials. But yeah its not up to date.

I myself extracted stock boot.img from the beta 8 OP7Pro OTA zip file. :good:

@redpoint73 As you already know my Op7P is currently rooted with TWRP/Magisk and on Oxygen OS Android 10 Open Beta 8.
1. I want to moveback to stable i.e downgrade to Oxygen OS Android 10 - 10.3.0. How can i do this?
2. If i install a custom ROM on my OP7P; how to go back to Oxygen OS RAM back?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
@redpoint73 As you already know my Op7P is currently rooted with TWRP/Magisk and on Oxygen OS Android 10 Open Beta 8.
1. I want to moveback to stable i.e downgrade to Oxygen OS Android 10 - 10.3.0. How can i do this?
2. If i install a custom ROM on my OP7P; how to go back to Oxygen OS RAM back?

1) I haven't gone the Beta route. But my understanding, you should be able to flash the "stable" OTA ROM or fastboot ROM. And if I recall correctly, you'll need to wipe user data to go from Beta to Stable. I seem to remember you can go stable to beta and keep data; but going back to stable, you need to wipe. But read/search further on your own to confirm this, before starting the conversion.

2) Again, you can return to stock OOS with the OTA ROM or fastboot ROM. Similar to above, I'm not a custom ROM user (been perfectly happy with stock stable OOS). But if I understand properly, you'll likely need to wipe user data going to custom ROM, and again back to stable. Unless maybe in cases where the custom ROM is built on, and not too different from the stock OOS. "Typical" custom ROM flashing tactics should work as far as backing up and migrating data (Titanium Backup, Swift Backup, etc.).

Again, read through the custom ROM threads (especially the thread for the desired ROM or ROMs) to confirm.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9dL597u.png

Android 10 stable installation/update guide with root + more!

DO NOT INSTALL ON THE TMOBILE VARIENT OR DATA WILL BE BROKEN

*Data will be deleted if you install it on another region, be carefull!*

Android 10.0.2 OOS Stable OP7Pro (Global) download.

Android 10.0.2 OOS Stable OP7Pro (EU) download.

How to update/install from PIE(no root):
    1. Download the stable
    2. Copy the zip to the storage, don't put it in a folder.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the zip-> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the installation is complete, click Restart.
    5. Update successful.

How to update/install from OB(no root):
    1. Install the rollback zip and follow the first tutorial.

How to update/install with root(TWRP):
    *MAKE SURE TO HAVE EVERY MAGISK MODULE DISABLED BEFORE YOU DO THIS*
    1. Download the stable, magisk and TWRP installer
    2. Copy the zip to the storage
    3. Boot TWRP and decrypt
    4. Flash stable
    5. Flash TWRP Installer
    6. Reboot recovery
    7. Flash Magisk
    8. Reboot and enjoy!

How to update/install with root(no TWRP):
    *MAKE SURE TO HAVE EVERY MAGISK MODULE DISABLED BEFORE YOU DO THIS*
    1. Download the stable
    2. Copy the zip to the storage, don't put it in a folder.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the zip-> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the installation is complete, DO NOT PRESS RESTART
    5. Go to magisk manager
    6. Press Install > Install >Install to inactive slot(After OTA)
    7. Press reboot, now you've updated your rom with root!

If you encounter any weird issue if you upgraded from an older version. Try a clean install.
    New open beta for the oneplus 7!

Coming to the 7 pro soon...

Download: https://otafsg1.h2os.com/patch/amaz...10_OTA_010_all_1909112326_7c69ae9789221c3.zip

Changelog
    System
    • Optimized the animation effect when notification bar is being scrolled upwards
    • Re-designed Wi-Fi icon in Quick Settings
    • Fixed the crash issue with the Fingerprint unlock
    • Fixed he crash issue with default OnePlus Gestures
    • Fixed the dark screen issue on the lock screen while accessing Games
    • FIxed the crash issue with System UI caused by parallel Whatsapp app
    • General bug fixes and stability improvements
    I've patched the DP4 boot.img to include Magisk :)

Download magisk_patched.img

How to flash:
    Run the following fastboot commands when your phone is in bootloader mode
    fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
    fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
    Sure, but that's a tiny detail that I think makes all the difference.

I just think that if people wrote instructions more clear and properly clarified why you have to do some things a certain why, that it would make people ask less questions because they wouldn't be as confused.

I mean telling people "just do it like this and don't worry" doesn't help anyone. I think the goal should be to share knowledge, why things work the way they work and why they should be done a certain why, that's all.

What is confusing is that there are multiple different methods to do an update that work. Some people use local upgrade, some install via TWRP, etc.

The core piece of info is the way A/B partitioning works. Devices with A/B setup always update the other slot with the OTA zip in case there is an issue. It leaves the current slot working if anything goes wrong. Some flashes affect the slot you're not running on, some affect both and some only affect the current slot.

It's important to know what does which.

OTA update: affects the slot you are not currently running on. If you're on A, the B slot is updated to the new version. If you're on B, A is updated.

TWRP installer: flashes both slots with TWRP no matter which slot you are currently running, and removes root from both.

Magisk: only affects the current slot.

Given the above, if you want an updated slot with everything, the order is always the same. Assuming you are on slot A (you can see the current slot in TWRP or by running 'fastboot getvar current-slot'):

Install OTA. Slot B will now have the new OTA, without TWRP or magisk.

Install TWRP. Both slots will now have TWRP. Neither will have magisk, regardless of what you had before.

Install magisk. Slot A now has root (current slot) but slot B does not.

Reboot. Since an OTA was applied, your phone will automatically switch to the updated slot B (which has only TWRP, no magisk).

Flash magisk. Slot B, which was updated via OTA, will now have magisk.

Regardless of the method you use, the above holds true.