Android 10 update TWRP not booting

Search This thread

Jarek84

Jun 3, 2017
I have a problem, I updated from 9 to 10 and lost root and twrp. Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens ?

jeswinjv

Nov 28, 2013
I have a problem, I updated from 9 to 10 and lost root and twrp. Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens [emoji29]
I got a solution
Twrp 3.3.1.65

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dzejz

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens

You can not flash TWRP in fastboot on this device. And that never worked for this device. I know it worked on lots of previous Android devices (standard method to install TWRP). But you should wipe from your mind that notion that it works on the 7 Pro.

The process for Android 9 was to boot TWRP (very different from flash TWRP). But fastboot boot command doesn't work on the Android 10 update. This is similar to the situation when the 7 Pro was first released, and OnePlus fixed the fastboot boot command a bit later.

Current root method, is to flash a patched boot image. But lots of folks seem to be having trouble rooting the new Android 10 stable (even using the proper method). Flashing the stock boot.img is another option (to get the phone working, but no root).

Reactions: dzejz

jeswinjv

Nov 28, 2013
First fastboot stucked
Second no partition found IMG_20190923_210510.jpg

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
You can not flash TWRP in fastboot on this device. And that never worked for this device. I know it worked on lots of previous Android devices (standard method to install TWRP). But you should wipe from your mind that notion that it works on the 7 Pro.

The process for Android 9 was to boot TWRP (very different from flash TWRP). But fastboot boot command doesn't work on the Android 10 update. This is similar to the situation when the 7 Pro was first released, and OnePlus fixed the fastboot boot command a bit later.

Current root method, is to flash a patched boot image. But lots of folks seem to be having trouble rooting the new Android 10 stable (even using the proper method). Flashing the stock boot.img is another option (to get the phone working, but no root).

False, it was possible on android 9 to flash twrp on this device. It worked perfectly. With android 10 that's not possible unfortunately unless you have it already installed on android pie and you are upgrading. Use the unofficial twrp latest build and flash it after you flash the android 10 update in twrp and you are golden.

Reactions: Jarek84

links2586

Sep 23, 2019
Hello All,
I decided to hop back in and root my device. I'm running into the same issue as OP. I try to boot into TWRP and i just get a "fastboot mode" screen. Can anyone clarify if this is doable as of now? and how?

Sorry, I havent rooted a phone in 7+ years.

whisky_

Feb 22, 2006
Peshawar
www.evilpeshawar.com

That doesn't seem to work for me since I can't see my case, which is the same as @Jarek84

Only the stock boot.img boots for me. magisk_patched.img puts me in a bootloop and I'm stuck at the fastboot logo whenever I try to fastboot boot twrp.img (neither official nor the .65 one here, the modified one).

Any help would be appreciated to get root and twrp back.

Thanks!

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
False, it was possible on android 9 to flash twrp on this device. It worked perfectly. With android 10 that's not possible unfortunately unless you have it already installed on android pie and you are upgrading. Use the unofficial twrp latest build and flash it after you flash the android 10 update in twrp and you are golden.

Can you cite anyone who flashed twrp from fastboot in op7p.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

That doesn't seem to work for me since I can't see my case, which is the same as @Jarek84

Only the stock boot.img boots for me. magisk_patched.img puts me in a bootloop and I'm stuck at the fastboot logo whenever I try to fastboot boot twrp.img (neither official nor the .65 one here, the modified one).

Thanks!
. Have you tried patching your own boot.img instead of flashing the one provided on the guide?

Last edited:
Reactions: redpoint73

branko.s67

Sep 18, 2011
Malmö
OnePlus 9 Pro
Everyone who has ever flashed twrp. But if you want evidence,
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79677185&postcount=1

If you read a little more carefully you will see that the thread you're linking to says exactly what redpoint73 wrote. I.e. in order to flash TWRP one must first fastboot boot the TWRP-image, and then flash the TWRP-zip from within TWRP.

No one said it's not possible to flash TWRP. What was said was that it's not possible to do it from fastboot.

Cheers.

Reactions: redpoint73

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
If you read a little more carefully you will see that the thread you're linking to says exactly what redpoint73 wrote. I.e. in order to flash TWRP one must first fastboot boot the TWRP-image, and then flash the TWRP-zip from within TWRP.

No one said it's not possible to flash TWRP. What was said was that it's not possible to do it from fastboot.

Cheers.

Obviously you cannot flash from fastboot, but what I'm referencing to is that it was said "twrp cannot be flashed from fastboot" , but that it can be achieved by the method i pointed out to get to recovery to flash. It's not just a case of saying it cannot be flashed and covered the method in one sweeping statement. There is a method, but as we all know, this is not possible currently with Android 10

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Obviously you cannot flash from fastboot, but what I'm referencing to is that it was said "twrp cannot be flashed from fastboot" , but that it can be achieved by the method i pointed out to get to recovery to flash.

Once you have booted recovery, you are no longer in fastboot.

Just try a fastboot command while in TWRP, and see how that works for you.

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Once you have booted recovery, you are no longer in fastboot. Duh!!!!

Hold on a sec. If you are going to act in a childish manner how are we to discuss this properly.

To even get to twrp you have to use the .img file in fastboot. So "fastboot flash recovery filename.img"

So you are flashing in fastboot to get to twrp recovery.

Your comment said that you couldn't flash twrp via fastboot and never could with this phone. That's half correct. What I'm saying is you can flash the .img file to access twrp before flashing the zip file on Android pie. Unfortunately that's not the case with Android 10.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
To even get to twrp you have to use the .img file in fastboot. So "fastboot flash recovery filename.img"

So you are flashing in fastboot to get to twrp recovery.

Wrong. Your command is incorrect.

The correct command is: fastboot boot twrp.img

Once you are booted to TWRP, you can than flash TWRP installer zip (not the TWRP img).

Just look at the post you quoted above in response #14.

This phone does not even have a recovery partition. Recovery resides on boot.img for this device due to A/B partition scheme.

My original statements hold as correct.

Last edited:

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wrong. Your command is incorrect.

The correct command is: fastboot boot twrp.img

Just look at the post you quoted above in response #14.

This phone does not have a recovery partition. Recovery resides on boot.img for this device.

My original statements hold as correct.

O my God, that recognised contributor tag is going to your head.

The command with "boot" boots into TWRP recovery. The command with "flash", flashes the .img file in fastboot mode on Android pie.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a problem, I updated from 9 to 10 and lost root and twrp. Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens [emoji29]
    I got a solution
    Twrp 3.3.1.65

Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens

Can you cite anyone who flashed twrp from fastboot in op7p.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Thanks!
    . Have you tried patching your own boot.img instead of flashing the one provided on the guide?
    Everyone who has ever flashed twrp. But if you want evidence,
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79677185&postcount=1

Cheers.