Android 10 update TWRP not booting

Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
The command with "flash", flashes the .img file in fastboot mode on Android pie.

No, it doesn't.

Your command is telling fastboot to flash twrp.img to a recovery partition. This phone doesn't have a recovery partition. How do you flash to a partition that doesn't exist?

Stop posting this. It doesn't work, and you are just confusing less experienced users.

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
No, it doesn't.

Your command is telling fastboot to flash twrp.img to a recovery partition. This phone doesn't have a recovery partition. How do you flash to a partition that doesn't exist?

Stop posting this. It doesn't work, and you are just confusing less experienced users.

I'm telling you what I do and it works. Simple as that. You simply won't accept it. Why would I post it if it wasn't true.

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Everyone who has ever flashed twrp. But if you want evidence,
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79677185&postcount=1
That's in part the reason people fall into the issue the Op has. Misleading people like you.
fastboot boot twrp command is not flashing recovery. It is booting from a remote or 3rd party device ( the computer) and twrp is clearly not flashed until the ZIP is actually flashed. You clearly know what we are talking about. I don't know why you insist. the link you posted just proves how wrong you are. And again, no body on that thread flashed twrp by just issuing "fastboot flash twrp.img" It just never worked on this phone. Hence the long guide for something that used to be simple with other phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: redpoint73

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
That's in part the reason people fall into the issue the Op has. Misleading people like you.
fastboot boot command is not flashing recovery. I don't know why you insist

Fine, do whatever you want. I've no reason not to say what works for me and what doesn't. If you don't want to accept what works for me then that's fine. Why the hell would i post something that doesn't work and say it does.

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Can someone point me in the right direction... I am currently unrooted on Android 10 official. How do we go about getting TWRP on this device. It was easy on Pie. Thank you

This may have been answered already but if you lost root/twrp upgrading to OOS 10:

1) Obtain root using this method: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79548858&postcount=6.
2) Flash the -65 TWRP installer .zip through magisk as a module.
3) DON'T REBOOT - install magisk again (direct install).
4) ???
5) PROFIT

Currently TWRP cannot be booted through fastboot, but if you follow the sets above you'll have both root and TWRP back!

edit: forgot a crucial step!

Last edited:

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
This may have been answered already but if you lost root/twrp upgrading to OOS 10:

1) Obtain root using this method: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79548858&postcount=6.
2) Flash the -65 TWRP installer .zip through magisk as a module.
3) ???
4) PROFIT

Currently TWRP cannot be booted through fastboot, but if you follow the sets above you'll have both root and TWRP back!

Flashing the twrp zip will unroot, add to step 3: After installing TWRP.zip don't reboot. Stay in magisk manager and install magisk (1st install option ) and then choose direct install (Recommended) method. reboot and Done.
If already installed twrp, rebooted and now are unrooted then: open magsik manager app, install magisk choose 'download zip only', roboot into TWRP, flash the downloaded magisk zip. done.

Reactions: KiNG OMaR

thebigtross

Aug 19, 2013
Hello all,

I exacly got the same issue than you with TWRP.
That to say the boot image of TWRP 3.3.1-65 is broken using the fastboot boot command on android 10.

Like all other i got a fastboot screen and twrp was not booting.

How i fix the **** ?

1) I booted using old twrp version (-52 if i remember) using fastboot boot twrpimagename.img
2) I plug usb OTG with the lastest TWRP -65 and installed it via the USB OTG (yes if you don't have the -65, it cant decrypt /data).
3) Reboot and enjoy twrp -65
4) Root + install kernel and others :)

Enjoy

emontes

Apr 29, 2010
Southend-on-Sea
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello all,

I exacly got the same issue than you with TWRP.
That to say the boot image of TWRP 3.3.1-65 is broken using the fastboot boot command on android 10.

Like all other i got a fastboot screen and twrp was not booting.

How i fix the **** ?

1) I booted using old twrp version (-52 if i remember) using fastboot boot twrpimagename.img
2) I plug usb OTG with the lastest TWRP -65 and installed it via the USB OTG (yes if you don't have the -65, it cant decrypt /data).
3) Reboot and enjoy twrp -65
4) Root + install kernel and others :)

Enjoy

Doesn't work for me, tried with twrp 52/50 and 35, it doesn't boot.
My one is weird, I followed the procedure on booting with a patched root image and I saw I was rooted on Magisk Manager, after the 2nd boot, it was showing Magisk wasn't installed even though I could open
Titanium Backup and I was rooted (also confirmed with the Terminal app, issued a su and asked me to grant root) but again, Magisk manager says Magisk isn't installed and I can't see any other options on the manager (like magisk hide, etc).
Did anyone see anything like that before?

Edit: Looks like I had 2 magisk managers installed (no idea how I did that!). Anyway, as soon as uninstalled one, things started working fine again.

Last edited:

thebigtross

Aug 19, 2013
Doesn't work for me, tried with twrp 52/50 and 35, it doesn't boot.
My one is weird, I followed the procedure on booting with a patched root image and I saw I was rooted on Magisk Manager, after the 2nd boot, it was showing Magisk wasn't installed even though I could open
Titanium Backup and I was rooted (also confirmed with the Terminal app, issued a su and asked me to grant root) but again, Magisk manager says Magisk isn't installed and I can't see any other options on the manager (like magisk hide, etc).
Did anyone see anything like that before?

Edit: Looks like I had 2 magisk managers installed (no idea how I did that!). Anyway, as soon as uninstalled one, things started working fine again.

Fixed with twrp lay build 70

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a problem, I updated from 9 to 10 and lost root and twrp. Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens [emoji29]
    I got a solution
    Twrp 3.3.1.65

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
    Is there any possibility for the author: to root and have twrp again? I tried the fastboot version of the twrp installation. img in cmd and kind of says ok, but the phone is on the fastboot logo and nothing happens

You can not flash TWRP in fastboot on this device. And that never worked for this device. I know it worked on lots of previous Android devices (standard method to install TWRP). But you should wipe from your mind that notion that it works on the 7 Pro.

The process for Android 9 was to boot TWRP (very different from flash TWRP). But fastboot boot command doesn't work on the Android 10 update. This is similar to the situation when the 7 Pro was first released, and OnePlus fixed the fastboot boot command a bit later.

Current root method, is to flash a patched boot image. But lots of folks seem to be having trouble rooting the new Android 10 stable (even using the proper method). Flashing the stock boot.img is another option (to get the phone working, but no root).
    You can not flash TWRP in fastboot on this device. And that never worked for this device. I know it worked on lots of previous Android devices (standard method to install TWRP). But you should wipe from your mind that notion that it works on the 7 Pro.

The process for Android 9 was to boot TWRP (very different from flash TWRP). But fastboot boot command doesn't work on the Android 10 update. This is similar to the situation when the 7 Pro was first released, and OnePlus fixed the fastboot boot command a bit later.

Current root method, is to flash a patched boot image. But lots of folks seem to be having trouble rooting the new Android 10 stable (even using the proper method). Flashing the stock boot.img is another option (to get the phone working, but no root).

False, it was possible on android 9 to flash twrp on this device. It worked perfectly. With android 10 that's not possible unfortunately unless you have it already installed on android pie and you are upgrading. Use the unofficial twrp latest build and flash it after you flash the android 10 update in twrp and you are golden.
    False, it was possible on android 9 to flash twrp on this device. It worked perfectly. With android 10 that's not possible unfortunately unless you have it already installed on android pie and you are upgrading. Use the unofficial twrp latest build and flash it after you flash the android 10 update in twrp and you are golden.

Can you cite anyone who flashed twrp from fastboot in op7p.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

That doesn't seem to work for me since I can't see my case, which is the same as @Jarek84

Only the stock boot.img boots for me. magisk_patched.img puts me in a bootloop and I'm stuck at the fastboot logo whenever I try to fastboot boot twrp.img (neither official nor the .65 one here, the modified one).

Any help would be appreciated to get root and twrp back.

Thanks!
    . Have you tried patching your own boot.img instead of flashing the one provided on the guide?
    Everyone who has ever flashed twrp. But if you want evidence,
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79677185&postcount=1

If you read a little more carefully you will see that the thread you're linking to says exactly what redpoint73 wrote. I.e. in order to flash TWRP one must first fastboot boot the TWRP-image, and then flash the TWRP-zip from within TWRP.

No one said it's not possible to flash TWRP. What was said was that it's not possible to do it from fastboot.

Cheers.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone