Android 10 upgrade - MD725 to RF210 BT module swap

Search This thread

SkyBeam2048

Jan 25, 2011
Lucerne
I am not fully sure if this will always fit. I got a KLD unit and it uses MD725. The MD725 modules are integrated Bluetooth/WiFi module. The module actually is sitting on a soldered-on board which got 4 pins on one and 3 pins on the other side. Similar to this one. The one in the link seems to have only 1 RF out while my MD725 seems to have 2 antenna connectors. Might weell be that one is for BT and one for Wifi and the one on Ali is WiFi only.

Picture of my board here.

However I had a look at pictures I took from the KLD board. On the edge of the board where the ST MCU sits (behind the FM can) I see a pinheader with 11 solder points which is unequipped. Also the surrounding passive components seem to be all equipped. The module you refer to seem to have a 10-Pin interface.

I do have another unit with WQ_BC5 bluetooth (which also works on Android 10) where a very similar pinheader is equipped with a Bluetooth module. The module however does not look identical to the one you linked but it might work. Also on this board the 11-Pin header is used while the first pin (which is "crossed" by silkscreen) is not used.

A couple of things are not fully clear to me:
  • I guess nobody will know if the pinheader is actually connected to the MCU unless it's equipped.
  • Any clue what type the module is? The chip looks like Realtek RTL8761___ which might be an RTL8761ATV. As I see it's got an UART interface it might be pretty standard.
  • Will the module eventually conflict with the built-in BT module in MD725? Likely not as I guess the USB-connected bluetooth part of MD725 will simply not be used if another BT module is selected in factory settings.
I might end up just ordering one and solder it to my board and then having to try all BT modules in factory settings in order to find the matching one.

Reactions: marchnz

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Yes, the header is correct, unless the header is for DTV like my unit.

In my case, I dont have the BT header, what I would do is wire according to the schematic. Probably easier said than done, but doable.

SkyBeam2048

Jan 25, 2011
Lucerne

I have no clue how this would look like.

what I would do is wire according to the schematic. Probably easier said than done, but doable.

Well, I guess there is no schematic included in the ali offering. Neither for my unit. So I will likely have to follow some traces. Or just solder it and watch out for some magic smoke.

However I believe the pinout is likely always the same on those units. Same as for those USB daughterboard modules (see my other link). However here at least the boards are usually labelling the pins.

I actually ordered one of these modules and will have a look. Perhaps soldering it into my bench unit first (replacing the WQ_BC5 module). If no magic smoke escapes I can search for the correct module type in factory settings and then solder it to my car unit.

Well, to be honest I am quite OK currently with HAL Android 9 on my car unit so I will see when I got time to try this.

Psychotonikum

May 10, 2010
Huawei P10 Lite
Could it really be that easy?

1611947257784.png

Anybody with an similar board? Pins are located between radio module and MD725.
The scematics provided by marchnz do point me more to DAB and TV instead of Bluetooth.

Attachments

• 20210130_183646.jpg
    20210130_183646.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 614
  • 20210130_183651.jpg
    20210130_183651.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 560
  • 20210130_183659.jpg
    20210130_183659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 486
  • 20210130_183706.jpg
    20210130_183706.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 484
  • 20210130_181026.jpg
    20210130_181026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Reactions: elmanoduarte

Hancock88

Jun 17, 2012
Hello guys! In my case can i do something to upgrade the Bluetooth and wifi module MD725 (RTL8723BU) ?
My unit is a dasaita px5 HA 4gb ram.
Thanks615130FE-E85D-4F66-A3D8-4776897D563F.jpeg

Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello guys! In my case can i do something to upgrade the Bluetooth and wifi module MD725 (RTL8723BU) ?
My unit is a dasaita px5 HA 4gb ram.
ThanksView attachment 5228329

Are you sure your RTL is providing BT? The board, bottom of pic, right hand, vertically mounted looks to be your BT module. Can you try get some detailed pics of that board?

Also, what is the BT type set to in factory settings?

Hancock88

Jun 17, 2012
Are you sure your RTL is providing BT? The board, bottom of pic, right hand, vertically mounted looks to be your BT module. Can you try get some detailed pics of that board?

Also, what is the BT type set to in factory settings?

I don’t see nothing else except top vertically mounted what i guess is radio module..

Attachments

• DA748978-0A2D-4157-9D5F-BBF672CABD49.jpeg
    DA748978-0A2D-4157-9D5F-BBF672CABD49.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 281
  • F7F6A98B-9D89-4C00-A5EC-50B80CBE9366.jpeg
    F7F6A98B-9D89-4C00-A5EC-50B80CBE9366.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 277

Hancock88

Jun 17, 2012
I think i will forget this mod and stay with what i have because my motherboard is older and I don't have a separate bluetooth tracing or slot, I saw that down in the corner I have 10 pins to connect something but I don't have any schematic to know if I can stick a newer bluetooth card there. My motherboard is a Intel HA-SOFIA 2016-11-01

[email protected]

Apr 9, 2017
Wrocław
Hello Can I install this module on this board?

cześć
Czy mogę zainstalować ten moduł na tej płycie?

Attachments

• 20201125_124251.jpg
    20201125_124251.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBeam2048

Jan 25, 2011
Lucerne
I actually ordered one of these modules and will have a look. Perhaps soldering it into my bench unit first (replacing the WQ_BC5 module). If no magic smoke escapes I can search for the correct module type in factory settings and then solder it to my car unit.

I did receive the module today. Unfortunately the pin descriptions do not fully match to what I can see on my bench unit. My Car unit does not have any pin descriptions on the silkscreen at all.

Code:
Bench Unit Bluetooth Module pin descriptions:

x -BLED
---RST
---SDA
---SCL
---GND
---VDD
---MIC-
---MIC+
---SGND
---LOUT
---ROUT
x--PIO10

The first and last pin do not seem to be connected.

And here the pin descriptions on Aliexpress module.

Code:
Aliexpress module pin descriptions:

---RST
---RX
---TX
---GND
---5V
---AGND
---NC
---GND
---CTS
---RTS

Basically the first pins (RST, SDA/SCL/GND/5V) might match but the second part of my bench unit WQ_BC5 seems to be some audio interface (MIC-, MIC+, SGND, LOUT, ROUT) while the Aliexpress module provides some potential serial interface (GNC, CTS, RTS).

I guess I will have to check some schmatics before. Perhaps my car unit is wired differently too.

Reactions: marchnz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today i updated mcu from xrc 3.01 to ha 3.78.i have px5 android 8 HU, BW124 module is on the way to me. Had 2 problems wheel buttons and buttons on the HU stopped working.flashing of dmcu.cfg did not help.wheel buttons started working after changing in factory sttings canbus 3-4 times to different canbus type(i have toyota).HU buttons can be set in hardware key study. Now all ok,waiting for bt module delivery.
    Mod Translation
    hello if it can be useful this newly arrived dongle works perfectly with my wonderfoo px5 unit. among the options you have to select the wq6 module .wi fi much better performance and clear calls. optimal.

Original
    ciao se può essere utile questo dongle appena arrivato funziona perfettamente con la mia unità wonderfoo px5. tra le opzioni devi selezionare il modulo wq6 .wi fi molto più performante e chiamate chiare. ottimale

MCU is not android. Modded roms by Mal and hal are problems- save your money.

Search yandisk for .IMG files such as HA. Use OTG to flash.img and then update to latest OTG

Read my threads.
    I confirm that RF210 doesn't work with 11pin motherboard #67. It is recognized on android 9 and 10, but for both versions the phone calls didn't work as I couldn't hear anything neither the call receiver. I would like to thank @abdelmonem who solve this issue by changing the Bluetooth module.

I have no clue how this would look like.

what I would do is wire according to the schematic. Probably easier said than done, but doable.

Well, I guess there is no schematic included in the ali offering. Neither for my unit. So I will likely have to follow some traces. Or just solder it and watch out for some magic smoke.

However I believe the pinout is likely always the same on those units. Same as for those USB daughterboard modules (see my other link). However here at least the boards are usually labelling the pins.

Well, to be honest I am quite OK currently with HAL Android 9 on my car unit so I will see when I got time to try this.
    Hello everyone

just now I finished test all bluetooth module available in Chinese market AliExpress or alibaba or other’s the best module is RF-210 test in 3 Different mcu working very good don’t try other modules you’ll loos your time
    just one thing for future I attached bin connector to motherboard after that attach the module I didn’t solder direct to main board

all test with 10 or 9 bin in motherboard
    For 12 bin I didn’t trying because I don’t have it but still you can send me picture of your main board and BT module I’ll try to find out

best regards