Android 10 upgrade - MD725 to RF210 BT module swap

Search This thread

rubiojose1

Jan 23, 2011
Hi, does anyone know where this board can have the RX and TX connections?

Attachments

• 16377933831127323432588814502297.jpg
    16377933831127323432588814502297.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 88

finfet

May 5, 2020

finfet

May 5, 2020
I do not know which one RX, TX. I was lucky at first. Poor connection is not a problem. If not exist BT. Change the RX, TX connection on the BT card.
I see from the schematic uploaded by marchnz that the pin 26 is rx, the one with 4 red dots, and the pin 27 is tx, the one with 2 red dots.

Reactions: marchnz

me.how

Oct 12, 2016
Guys! I've just soldered RF10 into my old PX5 (GS) and upgraded software from old android 6 into android 10 Hal9k (needed since there was no rf210 option in android 6)

Everything works excellent!!

- Wifi signal is much better now and finally i can connect and use a wifi in my garage (still on old md725)
- bluetooth is on rf210, there is no echo! At last! BT OBD adapter is connecting!!
- android 10 is so much faster and better optimized. Finally i can use google maps

After almost 5 years all issues with the device was solved.

Thank you guys. :)
You are the best! Im so happy!

Attachments

• IMG_20211210_105026.jpg
    IMG_20211210_105026.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20211210_140226.jpg
    IMG_20211210_140226.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20211210_140251.jpg
    IMG_20211210_140251.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

elmanoduarte

Jan 2, 2012
My PX5 board unit its exaclty like Psychotonikum shows, and the Module looks like it to.
Next time I hoppen it I wll picture and see what module its there. But the Pins look the same, just dont remember the antenna on the module!

elmanoduarte

Jan 2, 2012
Guys! I've just soldered RF10 into my old PX5 (GS) and upgraded software from old android 6 into android 10 Hal9k (needed since there was no rf210 option in android 6)

- Wifi signal is much better now and finally i can connect and use a wifi in my garage (still on old md725)
- bluetooth is on rf210, there is no echo! At last! BT OBD adapter is connecting!!
- android 10 is so much faster and better optimized. Finally i can use google maps

A hell of a soldering :) good job, what is need its WORK :)

Shadow128

Nov 8, 2010
Mod Translation
hello if it can be useful this newly arrived dongle works perfectly with my wonderfoo px5 unit. among the options you have to select the wq6 module .wi fi much better performance and clear calls. optimal.

Original
ciao se può essere utile questo dongle appena arrivato funziona perfettamente con la mia unità wonderfoo px5. tra le opzioni devi selezionare il modulo wq6 .wi fi molto più performante e chiamate chiare. ottimale

Hi there
Last week I ordered an apparently identical adapter from Amazon in Germany and tested it today (EP-8568 from EDUP).
Unfortunately, the adapter is not recognized with Android 10, no matter which driver I load in the MCU settings.
When I use lsusb to display the connected USB devices, I get 0bda:b720 for the adapter, which according to Google is an RTL8723BU chipset. So the same one that is installed onboard.

Is there any way to use this adapter anyway?
Or are there other adapters which are working with Android 10?

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hi there
Last week I ordered an apparently identical adapter from Amazon in Germany and tested it today (EP-8568 from EDUP).
Unfortunately, the adapter is not recognized with Android 10, no matter which driver I load in the MCU settings.
When I use lsusb to display the connected USB devices, I get 0bda:b720 for the adapter, which according to Google is an RTL8723BU chipset. So the same one that is installed onboard.

Is there any way to use this adapter anyway?
Or are there other adapters which are working with Android 10?
It won't work without internal disconnected.
I dont know what others have been doing, perhaps their internal has failed.

Shadow128

Nov 8, 2010
Hm, really?
I thought the others plugged in only the USB BT Adapter and it was working?
But... Another problem could be the same RTL chip onboard and the adapter?

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
Hm, really?
I thought the others plugged in only the USB BT Adapter and it was working?
But... Another problem could be the same RTL chip onboard and the adapter?

As far as I remember, "otherS" were actually only @Angelor1, who unfortunately never reported back with a clear description of what he did and the details of his setup (which board manufacturer, MCU SW...). I was able to get a dongle like the one he had (same chinese source, "looked like" the same) and in my case it did not work out, after testing all possible configurations. BUT, I had to return it and I was not able to do the test with the on-board BT/WIFI chip removed.
I saw in other threads a few guys claiming it worked for them, after removing the original BT chip. Unfortunately those post did not provide info on what specific board they had (even on PX5 MTC-D family, there are multiple motherboards with different BT connections)

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
I was successfully replaced Md725 to RF210 BT module. RF210 works well in Android 9 . I haven't upgraded to android 10 yet. This description helped ! The motherboard little different for me. Connector 3 is below the Som (core board). Enough that only connect RX, TX, 5v, Gnd.

Source: Blackman68
This site

Hi @didu73

Have you upgraded already to Android 10? Does it work OK?

Seems our boards are similar (mine is an old one labeled "HA-SOFIA" even if it is a HA PX5) and I do see the 3 connectors. If this works in Android 10, I will disassemble it and check the circuit to see if in my board the connector is really BT-related or at least connected to the bus of the MCU

Have you noticed any issue with your solution?

Thanks !!!

didu73

Nov 19, 2012
Hi @didu73

Have you upgraded already to Android 10? Does it work OK?

Seems our boards are similar (mine is an old one labeled "HA-SOFIA" even if it is a HA PX5) and I do see the 3 connectors. If this works in Android 10, I will disassemble it and check the circuit to see if in my board the connector is really BT-related or at least connected to the bus of the MCU

Have you noticed any issue with your solution?

Thanks !!!
Yes I upgrade A10 hal9k mod v5. Bt work fine.

ionio-zante

Nov 9, 2006
Zakynthos
Received my upgrade parts to give life to my old Xtrons px5...
CoreBoard replaced from PX5 2GB to PX6 4GB and Bluetooth from SD968 to RF210.
Also installed Alex's heatsink with a low rpm fan.
Everything installed and works perfect. Very glad with the result as my device is way more faster and the Bt connection with new module is has better sound quality and never lost communication. (the old SD968 although it is working with the old drivers on android 10 occasionality loses connection and sound quality is bad)

Attachments

• 20220126_183943.jpg
    20220126_183943.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20220126_183927.jpg
    20220126_183927.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • 20220126_183950.jpg
    20220126_183950.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20220126_183947.jpg
    20220126_183947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: marchnz

Shadow128

Nov 8, 2010
As far as I remember, "otherS" were actually only @Angelor1, who unfortunately never reported back with a clear description of what he did and the details of his setup (which board manufacturer, MCU SW...). I was able to get a dongle like the one he had (same chinese source, "looked like" the same) and in my case it did not work out, after testing all possible configurations. BUT, I had to return it and I was not able to do the test with the on-board BT/WIFI chip removed.
I saw in other threads a few guys claiming it worked for them, after removing the original BT chip. Unfortunately those post did not provide info on what specific board they had (even on PX5 MTC-D family, there are multiple motherboards with different BT connections)
OK, then I misunderstooded the posting :(
Removing the WiFi/BT Chip should be no problem, as it is only soldered with 7 pins (or maybe there are some more under the board?).
Next problem could be still the adapter. If there's also a rtl8723bu chipset, then the same error could happen. And for WiFi I need another adapter?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for my english... I translated with Google Translate.

After a few hours of nerves I managed to make HU PX5 MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 and BT-MD725 to work with Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) and BT-RF210 without any problems.

I will try to recreate here the steps I took:

1. After I soldered BT-RF210, I soldered wires from BT-TX (26) and BT-RX (27) and + 5V from VSYS + 5V (circled in the picture) ... I didn't solder at GND anymore wire because it is not necessary.

2. Then I changed the MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 with MTCE_HA_V3.78 ... but before taking this step to take pictures at the settings because it is possible to manually set the settings (BT, CANBUS, Radio, set type LED to RGB, etc .)

For this step you will have to enter the Factory Settings and export to the settings ... dmcu.cfg which you have to save on a USB stick or SD Card where you also downloaded dmcu.img (MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78) and McuUnmatchUnlock.apk. Then go to About System and click on Update MCU and wait until it reboot and the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear on the screen. After rebooting delete dmcu.img and go back to About System and update MCU again (now it will install dmcu.cfg). If after making some changes to the factory settings (after rebooting) the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear again you will need to install McuUnmatchUnlock.apk enter in app and click to Unlock then click to Reboot and you will have to set all settings in Factory Settings from pictures that you made (BT, CANBUS, Radio, etc.)

After switching to MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78, I had no problem not hearing the other person and some other problems.

3. Now you can install Android 10 ... I struggled a bit to install it because the USB stick I was using didn't work properly and I managed to install it from an SD Card.

I hope you didn't miss something ...

BEFORE YOU MAKING STEP 2 PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TREATED THAT ARE BELOW TO SEE IF YOUR MCU IS CROSS COMPATIBLE

I've maked step 2 at my own risk

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/VzQDC13g3HGZux
    I will describe what I did with my HU PX3 MCU KGL MTCD Android 5.1.1, after upgrading it became PX5 MCU KGL MTCE Android 10, of course, after the upgrade, the bluetooth module stopped working because the HU had a BT-MD725 (Type 2) chip, and it as you know, it’s not friendly with 8 and later editions of Android, in order for me to get bluetooth working, I purchased the BT-RF210 module and installed it in the HU by soldering 4 wires to it, + 5V and -5v I took from the MCU board, and the TX wires (26) and RX (27) I soldered to the android board, the photo is attached, then you need to go to the HU engineering menu and in the BT settings replace BT-MD725 with BT-RF210, save this configuration, the HU will reboot and should work bluetooth, I have after my manipulations, the bluetooth did not fully work, that is, the smartphone connected to it without problems, but did not fully work, that is, the music from the smartphone on BT A2DP was played in mono mode, and the calls did not work fully, the interlocutor heard me, I did not, the sound did not go to the speakers, as it turned out, this is most likely a software defect failure of the MCU KGL, later thanks to the user McIber, from this forum I learned that the MCU KGL and MCU HA are interchangeable, by installing MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78 on my HU I got a fully working bluetooth, the only thing I needed was to retrain the physical buttons on the HU.

It is important to correctly solder the wires to pins 26 and 27, and not to pins 22 and 23, as I had with my first BT-RF210 module, after turning it on I got a faulty module.
    Mod Translation
    hello if it can be useful this newly arrived dongle works perfectly with my wonderfoo px5 unit. among the options you have to select the wq6 module .wi fi much better performance and clear calls. optimal.

Original
    ciao se può essere utile questo dongle appena arrivato funziona perfettamente con la mia unità wonderfoo px5. tra le opzioni devi selezionare il modulo wq6 .wi fi molto più performante e chiamate chiare. ottimale
    I confirm that RF210 doesn't work with 11pin motherboard #67. It is recognized on android 9 and 10, but for both versions the phone calls didn't work as I couldn't hear anything neither the call receiver. I would like to thank @abdelmonem who solve this issue by changing the Bluetooth module.

Yes, the header is correct, unless the header is for DTV like my unit.

I have no clue how this would look like.

what I would do is wire according to the schematic. Probably easier said than done, but doable.

Well, I guess there is no schematic included in the ali offering. Neither for my unit. So I will likely have to follow some traces. Or just solder it and watch out for some magic smoke.

However I believe the pinout is likely always the same on those units. Same as for those USB daughterboard modules (see my other link). However here at least the boards are usually labelling the pins.

I actually ordered one of these modules and will have a look. Perhaps soldering it into my bench unit first (replacing the WQ_BC5 module). If no magic smoke escapes I can search for the correct module type in factory settings and then solder it to my car unit.

Well, to be honest I am quite OK currently with HAL Android 9 on my car unit so I will see when I got time to try this.
    Sorry for my english... I translated with Google Translate.

After a few hours of nerves I managed to make HU PX5 MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 and BT-MD725 to work with Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) and BT-RF210 without any problems.

I will try to recreate here the steps I took:

1. After I soldered BT-RF210, I soldered wires from BT-TX (26) and BT-RX (27) and + 5V from VSYS + 5V (circled in the picture) ... I didn't solder at GND anymore wire because it is not necessary.

2. Then I changed the MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 with MTCE_HA_V3.78 ... but before taking this step to take pictures at the settings because it is possible to manually set the settings (BT, CANBUS, Radio, set type LED to RGB, etc .)

For this step you will have to enter the Factory Settings and export to the settings ... dmcu.cfg which you have to save on a USB stick or SD Card where you also downloaded dmcu.img (MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78) and McuUnmatchUnlock.apk. Then go to About System and click on Update MCU and wait until it reboot and the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear on the screen. After rebooting delete dmcu.img and go back to About System and update MCU again (now it will install dmcu.cfg). If after making some changes to the factory settings (after rebooting) the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear again you will need to install McuUnmatchUnlock.apk enter in app and click to Unlock then click to Reboot and you will have to set all settings in Factory Settings from pictures that you made (BT, CANBUS, Radio, etc.)

After switching to MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78, I had no problem not hearing the other person and some other problems.

3. Now you can install Android 10 ... I struggled a bit to install it because the USB stick I was using didn't work properly and I managed to install it from an SD Card.

I hope you didn't miss something ...

BEFORE YOU MAKING STEP 2 PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TREATED THAT ARE BELOW TO SEE IF YOUR MCU IS CROSS COMPATIBLE

I've maked step 2 at my own risk

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/VzQDC13g3HGZux