Android 10 upgrade - MD725 to RF210 BT module swap

Search This thread

maxiauer

Aug 9, 2017
OK, then I misunderstooded the posting :(
Removing the WiFi/BT Chip should be no problem, as it is only soldered with 7 pins (or maybe there are some more under the board?).
Next problem could be still the adapter. If there's also a rtl8723bu chipset, then the same error could happen. And for WiFi I need another adapter?
Are you sure you do not have a row of holes in the board or the 3 holes next to the CPU Daughter-board connector?

Soldering a BT-Only board there seems to be the only really confirmed solution...

Shadow128

Nov 8, 2010
Are you sure you do not have a row of holes in the board or the 3 holes next to the CPU Daughter-board connector?

Soldering a BT-Only board there seems to be the only really confirmed solution...
Attached a photo of the board. I searched yesterday, and I found a found which looks similar with three or four soldering pads on the bottom side

timolen

Jul 19, 2009
Hello! I have a XRC mcu PX5 board with md725. I've managed to order the rf210 module and soldered it to the bord in j11 slot, and it doesn't seem to work, at least in android 9. I changed in car setting the bt to rf210, but I cannot find any device over Bluetooth on Android 9. Did not manage to upgrade to 10 yet, but I'm assuming it should work on 9.

It was soldered as in the example image. Was it the wrong way? I couldn't figure it out in the schematics.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 89
  • photo_2022-02-07_19-45-58.jpg
    photo_2022-02-07_19-45-58.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 86
  • photo_2022-02-07_19-45-49.jpg
    photo_2022-02-07_19-45-49.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 86

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello! I have a XRC mcu PX5 board with md725. I've managed to order the rf210 module and soldered it to the bord in j11 slot, and it doesn't seem to work, at least in android 9. I changed in car setting the bt to rf210, but I cannot find any device over Bluetooth on Android 9. Did not manage to upgrade to 10 yet, but I'm assuming it should work on 9.

It was soldered as in the example image. Was it the wrong way? I couldn't figure it out in the schematics.
Do you have +5v and grnd at the indicated points.

timolen

Jul 19, 2009
I'm not sure, as it does not write on the board. How can I find out?
Added more fresh images. Measured with a multimeter the 5v and gnd and i had no values. Not sure if it's right though.

Attachments

• IMG20220207210413.jpg
    IMG20220207210413.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220207_223055.jpg
    IMG_20220207_223055.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

McIber

Hello! I have a KGL-6188-MAIN1-V8.1 PX5 board with md725 type1 but it does not have the 10 pin connector for rf210.
I can not identify either Rx, Tx and power pins to solder it. Is it possible to do it somehow? If it is possible I will buy the module.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20170509_183252.jpg
    IMG_20170509_183252.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20170509_183257.jpg
    IMG_20170509_183257.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20170509_183301.jpg
    IMG_20170509_183301.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20170509_183304.jpg
    IMG_20170509_183304.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20170509_183306.jpg
    IMG_20170509_183306.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72

McIber

Hello! I have a KGL-6188-MAIN1-V8.1 PX5 board with md725 type1 but it does not have the 10 pin connector for rf210.
I can not identify either Rx, Tx and power pins to solder it. Is it possible to do it somehow? If it is possible I will buy the module.
Thank you!

I have just received RF210 BT module. Any help to locate Rx and Tx pins in my board would be appereciated. I do not know where to find the schematics...

serboon

Feb 5, 2021
On the SoM to board connector locate pin 26 (TX) and pin 29 (RX) use 5V from anywhere on the board

View attachment 5554365
26-TX 27-RX

Hello, my bluetooth RF 210 does not work correctly on my KGL, in particular, the music from the phone goes in mono, but the phone, the interlocutor hears me, I don’t hear him, the sound does not go to the speakers.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-20 at 19.00.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-20 at 19.00.39.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 68
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-06 at 13.29.42 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-06 at 13.29.42 (3).jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
26-TX 27-RX

Hello, my bluetooth RF 210 does not work correctly on my KGL, in particular, the music from the phone goes in mono, but the phone, the interlocutor hears me, I don’t hear him, the sound does not go to the speakers.
Off topic, this thread is for changing BT to RF 210.

The screen shot does not show an RF 210, that could be the first problem.....

serboon

Feb 5, 2021
Off topic, this thread is for changing BT to RF 210.

The screen shot does not show an RF 210, that could be the first problem.....
BT-RF210 is present on this HU, it is soldered from the bottom of the board, but I do not use it, as I described above, it does not work correctly...

abagos

Oct 2, 2017
Athens
Installed the RF210 board on a KBT unit, which had the three holes next to the cpu daughter-board connector. Took 5V and GND directly from the two holes that power the whole unit. Everything works very well!

Reactions: marchnz

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch

Hi! Did you solve the problem? It seems that we have the same board...

Attachments

• 20220408_162639.jpg
    20220408_162639.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20220408_162630.jpg
    20220408_162630.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20220408_162613.jpg
    20220408_162613.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41

timolen

Jul 19, 2009
Hello, did you see the name of the device CAR-KIT and the password 0000 in the bluetooth menu of the device? If not, then maybe you mixed up TX with RX, the RF 210 module works on Android 9
Are you saying that it should work by just soldering it in the empty spot? Because I did and it didn't work. tried placing it both ways.

serboon

Feb 5, 2021
I will describe what I did with my HU PX3 MCU KGL MTCD Android 5.1.1, after upgrading it became PX5 MCU KGL MTCE Android 10, of course, after the upgrade, the bluetooth module stopped working because the HU had a BT-MD725 (Type 2) chip, and it as you know, it’s not friendly with 8 and later editions of Android, in order for me to get bluetooth working, I purchased the BT-RF210 module and installed it in the HU by soldering 4 wires to it, + 5V and -5v I took from the MCU board, and the TX wires (26) and RX (27) I soldered to the android board, the photo is attached, then you need to go to the HU engineering menu and in the BT settings replace BT-MD725 with BT-RF210, save this configuration, the HU will reboot and should work bluetooth, I have after my manipulations, the bluetooth did not fully work, that is, the smartphone connected to it without problems, but did not fully work, that is, the music from the smartphone on BT A2DP was played in mono mode, and the calls did not work fully, the interlocutor heard me, I did not, the sound did not go to the speakers, as it turned out, this is most likely a software defect failure of the MCU KGL, later thanks to the user McIber, from this forum I learned that the MCU KGL and MCU HA are interchangeable, by installing MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78 on my HU I got a fully working bluetooth, the only thing I needed was to retrain the physical buttons on the HU.

It is important to correctly solder the wires to pins 26 and 27, and not to pins 22 and 23, as I had with my first BT-RF210 module, after turning it on I got a faulty module.

Last edited:
Reactions: marchnz

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
I will describe what I did with my HU PX3 MCU KGL MTCD Android 5.1.1, after upgrading it became PX5 MCU KGL MTCE Android 10, of course, after the upgrade, the bluetooth module stopped working because the HU had a BT-MD725 (Type 2) chip, and it as you know, it’s not friendly with 8 and later editions of Android, in order for me to get bluetooth working, I purchased the BT-RF210 module and installed it in the HU by soldering 4 wires to it, + 5V and -5v I took from the MCU board, and the TX wires (26) and RX (27) I soldered to the android board, the photo is attached, then you need to go to the HU engineering menu and in the BT settings replace BT-MD725 with BT-RF210, save this configuration, the HU will reboot and should work bluetooth, I have after my manipulations, the bluetooth did not fully work, that is, the smartphone connected to it without problems, but did not fully work, that is, the music from the smartphone on BT A2DP was played in mono mode, and the calls did not work fully, the interlocutor heard me, I did not, the sound did not go to the speakers, as it turned out, this is most likely a software defect failure of the MCU KGL, later thanks to the user McIber, from this forum I learned that the MCU KGL and MCU HA are interchangeable, by installing MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78 on my HU I got a fully working bluetooth, the only thing I needed was to retrain the physical buttons on the HU.

It is important to correctly solder the wires to pins 26 and 27, and not to pins 22 and 23, as I had with my first BT-RF210 module, after turning it on I got a faulty module.
Great write up. Installing a known working MCU as well was taking a perfect initiative.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for my english... I translated with Google Translate.

After a few hours of nerves I managed to make HU PX5 MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 and BT-MD725 to work with Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) and BT-RF210 without any problems.

I will try to recreate here the steps I took:

1. After I soldered BT-RF210, I soldered wires from BT-TX (26) and BT-RX (27) and + 5V from VSYS + 5V (circled in the picture) ... I didn't solder at GND anymore wire because it is not necessary.

2. Then I changed the MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 with MTCE_HA_V3.78 ... but before taking this step to take pictures at the settings because it is possible to manually set the settings (BT, CANBUS, Radio, set type LED to RGB, etc .)

For this step you will have to enter the Factory Settings and export to the settings ... dmcu.cfg which you have to save on a USB stick or SD Card where you also downloaded dmcu.img (MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78) and McuUnmatchUnlock.apk. Then go to About System and click on Update MCU and wait until it reboot and the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear on the screen. After rebooting delete dmcu.img and go back to About System and update MCU again (now it will install dmcu.cfg). If after making some changes to the factory settings (after rebooting) the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear again you will need to install McuUnmatchUnlock.apk enter in app and click to Unlock then click to Reboot and you will have to set all settings in Factory Settings from pictures that you made (BT, CANBUS, Radio, etc.)

After switching to MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78, I had no problem not hearing the other person and some other problems.

3. Now you can install Android 10 ... I struggled a bit to install it because the USB stick I was using didn't work properly and I managed to install it from an SD Card.

I hope you didn't miss something ...

BEFORE YOU MAKING STEP 2 PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TREATED THAT ARE BELOW TO SEE IF YOUR MCU IS CROSS COMPATIBLE

I've maked step 2 at my own risk

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/VzQDC13g3HGZux
    Mod Translation
    hello if it can be useful this newly arrived dongle works perfectly with my wonderfoo px5 unit. among the options you have to select the wq6 module .wi fi much better performance and clear calls. optimal.

Original
    ciao se può essere utile questo dongle appena arrivato funziona perfettamente con la mia unità wonderfoo px5. tra le opzioni devi selezionare il modulo wq6 .wi fi molto più performante e chiamate chiare. ottimale
    I confirm that RF210 doesn't work with 11pin motherboard #67. It is recognized on android 9 and 10, but for both versions the phone calls didn't work as I couldn't hear anything neither the call receiver. I would like to thank @abdelmonem who solve this issue by changing the Bluetooth module.
    Guys! I've just soldered RF10 into my old PX5 (GS) and upgraded software from old android 6 into android 10 Hal9k (needed since there was no rf210 option in android 6)

Everything works excellent!!

- Wifi signal is much better now and finally i can connect and use a wifi in my garage (still on old md725)
    - bluetooth is on rf210, there is no echo! At last! BT OBD adapter is connecting!!
    - android 10 is so much faster and better optimized. Finally i can use google maps

After almost 5 years all issues with the device was solved.

Thank you guys. :)
    You are the best! Im so happy!
    Yes, the header is correct, unless the header is for DTV like my unit.

I have no clue how this would look like.

what I would do is wire according to the schematic. Probably easier said than done, but doable.

Well, I guess there is no schematic included in the ali offering. Neither for my unit. So I will likely have to follow some traces. Or just solder it and watch out for some magic smoke.

However I believe the pinout is likely always the same on those units. Same as for those USB daughterboard modules (see my other link). However here at least the boards are usually labelling the pins.

I actually ordered one of these modules and will have a look. Perhaps soldering it into my bench unit first (replacing the WQ_BC5 module). If no magic smoke escapes I can search for the correct module type in factory settings and then solder it to my car unit.

Well, to be honest I am quite OK currently with HAL Android 9 on my car unit so I will see when I got time to try this.
    Sorry for my english... I translated with Google Translate.

After a few hours of nerves I managed to make HU PX5 MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 and BT-MD725 to work with Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) and BT-RF210 without any problems.

I will try to recreate here the steps I took:

1. After I soldered BT-RF210, I soldered wires from BT-TX (26) and BT-RX (27) and + 5V from VSYS + 5V (circled in the picture) ... I didn't solder at GND anymore wire because it is not necessary.

2. Then I changed the MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 with MTCE_HA_V3.78 ... but before taking this step to take pictures at the settings because it is possible to manually set the settings (BT, CANBUS, Radio, set type LED to RGB, etc .)

For this step you will have to enter the Factory Settings and export to the settings ... dmcu.cfg which you have to save on a USB stick or SD Card where you also downloaded dmcu.img (MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78) and McuUnmatchUnlock.apk. Then go to About System and click on Update MCU and wait until it reboot and the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear on the screen. After rebooting delete dmcu.img and go back to About System and update MCU again (now it will install dmcu.cfg). If after making some changes to the factory settings (after rebooting) the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear again you will need to install McuUnmatchUnlock.apk enter in app and click to Unlock then click to Reboot and you will have to set all settings in Factory Settings from pictures that you made (BT, CANBUS, Radio, etc.)

After switching to MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78, I had no problem not hearing the other person and some other problems.

3. Now you can install Android 10 ... I struggled a bit to install it because the USB stick I was using didn't work properly and I managed to install it from an SD Card.

I hope you didn't miss something ...

BEFORE YOU MAKING STEP 2 PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TREATED THAT ARE BELOW TO SEE IF YOUR MCU IS CROSS COMPATIBLE

I've maked step 2 at my own risk

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/VzQDC13g3HGZux