Android 10 upgrade - MD725 to RF210 BT module swap

Search This thread

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I will describe what I did with my HU PX3 MCU KGL MTCD Android 5.1.1, after upgrading it became PX5 MCU KGL MTCE Android 10, of course, after the upgrade, the bluetooth module stopped working because the HU had a BT-MD725 (Type 2) chip, and it as you know, it’s not friendly with 8 and later editions of Android, in order for me to get bluetooth working, I purchased the BT-RF210 module and installed it in the HU by soldering 4 wires to it, + 5V and -5v I took from the MCU board, and the TX wires (26) and RX (27) I soldered to the android board, the photo is attached, then you need to go to the HU engineering menu and in the BT settings replace BT-MD725 with BT-RF210, save this configuration, the HU will reboot and should work bluetooth, I have after my manipulations, the bluetooth did not fully work, that is, the smartphone connected to it without problems, but did not fully work, that is, the music from the smartphone on BT A2DP was played in mono mode, and the calls did not work fully, the interlocutor heard me, I did not, the sound did not go to the speakers, as it turned out, this is most likely a software defect failure of the MCU KGL, later thanks to the user McIber, from this forum I learned that the MCU KGL and MCU HA are interchangeable, by installing MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78 on my HU I got a fully working bluetooth, the only thing I needed was to retrain the physical buttons on the HU.

It is important to correctly solder the wires to pins 26 and 27, and not to pins 22 and 23, as I had with my first BT-RF210 module, after turning it on I got a faulty module.
Hi. I've did everything as you said and it's work but now I have same problem as you... the interlocutor heard me but I don't hear anything. The problem is that I have MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01bd_1... I don't have MCU KGL or MCU HA. Can I install MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78 or I will brick the HU?

Attachments

• 20220504_133736.jpg
    20220504_133736.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58

McIber

Hi. I've did everything as you said and it's work but now I have same problem as you... the interlocutor heard me but I don't hear anything. The problem is that I have MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01bd_1... I don't have MCU KGL or MCU HA. Can I install MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78 or I will brick the HU?
You should check and ask in the crosscompatible mcu thread.
KGL and HA are crosscompatible, I do not know about XRC

serboon

Feb 5, 2021
I think it will go without problems, judging by these posts.

08/03/18 - MTCE JY/GS/HA compatible - No issue experienced on MTCE going from JY 2.80 to GS 2.78 and back to HA 2.80

Thx, I understand now.

My Original Mcu: MTCE_XRC_V2.80_1

I have installed all of the following MCUs ( 100% compatible) but it has not fixed the problem:
- MTCE_GS_V3.07
- MTCE_GS_V3.17
- MTCE_GS_V3.30
- MTCE_GS_V3.44
- MTCE_GS_V3.62
- MTCE_XRC_V2.84
- MTCE_XRC_V2.89
- MTCE_XRC_V2.94
- MTCE_XRC_V3.01

Hope this can help someone

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I think it will go without problems, judging by these posts.

08/03/18 - MTCE JY/GS/HA compatible - No issue experienced on MTCE going from JY 2.80 to GS 2.78 and back to HA 2.80
Yes. I succeeded to install MCU HA but now I can't update to Android 10 from 9.
I receive error from photo

Attachments

• 20220505_135541.jpg
    20220505_135541.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

serboon

Feb 5, 2021
Yes. I succeeded to install MCU HA but now I can't update to Android 10 from 9.
I receive error from photo
Hello, you switched from Android 9 to Android 10 using ModInstallerProPX5.apk, if you did it right, then try to update from different sources, best from USB, well, or from another memory card.

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Try to roll the original Chinese first, then MOD
I had such problems, I tried different firmware and different memory cards ...
I installed Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) but now I have another problem. I can't update some apps (like Chrome or Android System WebView) but some apps (like Maps) has been updated... and app from my DVR camera its continuously closed.

And Play Store look like some older version

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
I installed Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) but now I have another problem. I can't update some apps (like Chrome or Android System WebView) but some apps (like Maps) has been updated... and app from my DVR camera its continuously closed.

And Play Store look like some older version
Ask in appropriate forum

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Sorry for my english... I translated with Google Translate.

After a few hours of nerves I managed to make HU PX5 MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 and BT-MD725 to work with Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) and BT-RF210 without any problems.

I will try to recreate here the steps I took:

1. After I soldered BT-RF210, I soldered wires from BT-TX (26) and BT-RX (27) and + 5V from VSYS + 5V (circled in the picture) ... I didn't solder at GND anymore wire because it is not necessary.

2. Then I changed the MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 with MTCE_HA_V3.78 ... but before taking this step to take pictures at the settings because it is possible to manually set the settings (BT, CANBUS, Radio, set type LED to RGB, etc .)

For this step you will have to enter the Factory Settings and export to the settings ... dmcu.cfg which you have to save on a USB stick or SD Card where you also downloaded dmcu.img (MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78) and McuUnmatchUnlock.apk. Then go to About System and click on Update MCU and wait until it reboot and the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear on the screen. After rebooting delete dmcu.img and go back to About System and update MCU again (now it will install dmcu.cfg). If after making some changes to the factory settings (after rebooting) the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear again you will need to install McuUnmatchUnlock.apk enter in app and click to Unlock then click to Reboot and you will have to set all settings in Factory Settings from pictures that you made (BT, CANBUS, Radio, etc.)

After switching to MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78, I had no problem not hearing the other person and some other problems.

3. Now you can install Android 10 ... I struggled a bit to install it because the USB stick I was using didn't work properly and I managed to install it from an SD Card.

I hope you didn't miss something ...

BEFORE YOU MAKING STEP 2 PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TREATED THAT ARE BELOW TO SEE IF YOUR MCU IS CROSS COMPATIBLE

I've maked step 2 at my own risk

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/VzQDC13g3HGZux

Attachments

• downloadfile.png
    downloadfile.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 81
  • McuUnmatchUnlock.apk
    7.7 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: McIber and marchnz

sfransen

Jul 9, 2022

After a few hours of nerves I managed to make HU PX5 MCU MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 and BT-MD725 to work with Android 10 (Hal9k Mod 5) and BT-RF210 without any problems.

1. After I soldered BT-RF210, I soldered wires from BT-TX (26) and BT-RX (27) and + 5V from VSYS + 5V (circled in the picture) ... I didn't solder at GND anymore wire because it is not necessary.

2. Then I changed the MTCE_XRC_V3.01BD_1 with MTCE_HA_V3.78 ... but before taking this step to take pictures at the settings because it is possible to manually set the settings (BT, CANBUS, Radio, set type LED to RGB, etc .)

For this step you will have to enter the Factory Settings and export to the settings ... dmcu.cfg which you have to save on a USB stick or SD Card where you also downloaded dmcu.img (MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78) and McuUnmatchUnlock.apk. Then go to About System and click on Update MCU and wait until it reboot and the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear on the screen. After rebooting delete dmcu.img and go back to About System and update MCU again (now it will install dmcu.cfg). If after making some changes to the factory settings (after rebooting) the message "version mismatch -01 error" (or something like that) will appear again you will need to install McuUnmatchUnlock.apk enter in app and click to Unlock then click to Reboot and you will have to set all settings in Factory Settings from pictures that you made (BT, CANBUS, Radio, etc.)

After switching to MCU MTCE_HA_V3.78, I had no problem not hearing the other person and some other problems.

3. Now you can install Android 10 ... I struggled a bit to install it because the USB stick I was using didn't work properly and I managed to install it from an SD Card.

BEFORE YOU MAKING STEP 2 PLEASE READ CAREFULLY TREATED THAT ARE BELOW TO SEE IF YOUR MCU IS CROSS COMPATIBLE

Thanks for this. I think I have a very similar board to you. It is an xrc px6. I wanted to confirm that you soldered the rf210 chip into the 10 pin j11 header and then added extra wires for the 5v, bt-rx and bt-tx?

I have soldered the board into the 10pin header and not added any extra connections. I can't get it working at all in hal9k android 10.

I was also sent a different version of the chip. The supplier confirmed that it is the same as rf210.

Finally, a tip for anyone else doing this. My radio had an unused nutsert standoff on the board right under the pin header. It prevents the board from being re-assembled once there are solder joints underneath and needed to be drilled out. Mine is for an e82 bmw, so it might be different for different car models.

Any help would be appreciated. If I don't hear back I will try soldering extra connections for the pins that were mentioned.

Attachments

• 20220625_185518.jpg
    20220625_185518.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 20220625_184929.jpg
    20220625_184929.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
Reactions: marchnz

delnaval1

Aug 8, 2022

Hello, I have a PX5 HU with XRC 3.01 same as you, and would like to update to Android 10.

I have seen in Aliexpress two options for BT module: RF210 and a also newer one BW124. I do not know exactly the differences between both. Do you know of anyone that used the second one? (could you please check if BW124 appears as an option in the settings after upgrading MCU?

About the MCU upgrade from XRC to HA, is it working flawlesly? have you been able to upgrade to Android 10?. Is everything working?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

delnaval1

Aug 8, 2022
Thanks for this. I think I have a very similar board to you. It is an xrc px6. I wanted to confirm that you soldered the rf210 chip into the 10 pin j11 header and then added extra wires for the 5v, bt-rx and bt-tx?

I have soldered the board into the 10pin header and not added any extra connections. I can't get it working at all in hal9k android 10.

I was also sent a different version of the chip. The supplier confirmed that it is the same as rf210.

Finally, a tip for anyone else doing this. My radio had an unused nutsert standoff on the board right under the pin header. It prevents the board from being re-assembled once there are solder joints underneath and needed to be drilled out. Mine is for an e82 bmw, so it might be different for different car models.

Any help would be appreciated. If I don't hear back I will try soldering extra connections for the pins that were mentioned.
Hello, this is the same BT module I just bought, could you please tell me when you make it working, I am very interested. Thanks

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch

Hi. Sorry because I didn't see your message sooner. Yes, I soldered the rf210 in j11 slot and you need to solder wires like I described if you want to work.

Hello, I have a PX5 HU with XRC 3.01 same as you, and would like to update to Android 10.

I have seen in Aliexpress two options for BT module: RF210 and a also newer one BW124. I do not know exactly the differences between both. Do you know of anyone that used the second one? (could you please check if BW124 appears as an option in the settings after upgrading MCU?

About the MCU upgrade from XRC to HA, is it working flawlesly? have you been able to upgrade to Android 10?. Is everything working?

Thanks so much for the help!!!
I don't know about BW124 and about MCU HA, yes it's working very good and I have Android 10 form Hal9k.

delnaval1

Aug 8, 2022
Hi. Sorry because I didn't see your message sooner. Yes, I soldered the rf210 in j11 slot and you need to solder wires like I described if you want to work.

I don't know about BW124 and about MCU HA, yes it's working very good and I have Android 10 form Hal9k.

Thanks Liviu!!, could you please check in your radio options of BW124 is also available with MCU HA?.

I am planning to upgrade to MCU HA, I will follow your procedure, do I need to know anything else before doing it?

Thanks in advance

LiviuE

May 13, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Thanks Liviu!!, could you please check in your radio options of BW124 is also available with MCU HA?.

I am planning to upgrade to MCU HA, I will follow your procedure, do I need to know anything else before doing it?

Thanks in advance
Read the topic from my previous post ( Cross Compatible Topic). What is important is to save settings from settings (Canbus, BT... all settings). If you you need help you write me.

delnaval1

Aug 8, 2022
Read the topic from my previous post ( Cross Compatible Topic). What is important is to save settings from settings (Canbus, BT... all settings). If you you need help you write me.

Just updated to MCU HA by following your instructions (thanks so much!)

I did not install yet new BT module nor Android 10, but in the Factory settings I do not see any option to set BT in RF210 or BW124.

Do you know if it is needed first to upgrade to Android 10 to can see these BT module options in the settings screen?

Thanks again

Reactions: LiviuE

Top Liked Posts