• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 11.0 Pixel 4a Touch Sensitivity Issue (inaccurate touches)

Search This thread

aohus

Sep 10, 2010
Ever since upgrading to Android 11.0, immediate issue has been the sensitivity of the touch screen.

Scrolling up and down will randomly select a link or an item on the page i was scrolling. This seems really evident when you open Google when you scroll all the way to the left. Start scrolling up and down and see if you get errant presses. Seems to be happening a lot on the right hand side of the display where the touches get inaccurate.

I'll be really frank here.... Google sucks at testing and pushing stable updates...

DJesri13

Apr 29, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
Ever since upgrading to Android 11.0, immediate issue has been the sensitivity of the touch screen.

Scrolling up and down will randomly select a link or an item on the page i was scrolling. This seems really evident when you open Google when you scroll all the way to the left. Start scrolling up and down and see if you get errant presses. Seems to be happening a lot on the right hand side of the display where the touches get inaccurate.

I'll be really frank here.... Google sucks at testing and pushing stable updates...

I am still on the 11 beta. When I switched from android 10 to 11 beta I had this issue. Taking off my screen protector solved this issue although I don't want it to be a permanent solution :(

Got my 11 update this afternoon and have been playing with the phone since. Updated all apps that were available to update, then shut down the phone and restarted. Haven't noticed what you are talking about at all. Just went into Google, as you mentioned, and haven't seen any issues. Will keep an eye on it; but my first thought is if there is an installed app causing issues....

aohus

Sep 10, 2010
I found out that they made changes to pixel 4 related to touch sensitivity (making it more aggressive). Wondering if that is what's affecting it.

ssmcd

Dec 3, 2010
Just upgraded my 4a to 11 today and I'm having the same issue. Also noticed it on the launcher...long press on an app to drag it just immediately opens the app. Just trying to type this post is a struggle. Touch sensitivity and accuracy is all messed up.

aohus

Sep 10, 2010
Clearly Google has an issue on their hands. Guess will need to escalate this to tech journalists so that they do something about it

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Not having this issue. On A10 I felt touch and especially navigation swipes were a tad insensitive relative to other devices. On several occasions I contemplated regressing to 3-button navigation (ugh). A11 fixed that making navigation feel natural again. No problem with taps - yet. :)

Right/left swipe sensitivity can be controlled in settings on A11. Left mine at default.

Stock 4a w/Nova Prime. Spigen armor case (slightly raised edges). No screen protector.

KinkyKinkles

Jul 5, 2016
This issue is getting reported a bunch on www.reddit.com/r/Pixel4a. I personally had the issue pop up a few weeks ago after I installed 11 beta 3. Downgrading back to 10 fixed it.

Some people have said the issue goes away if you remove your screen protector but obviously that isn't the real solution if your phone was working fine prior to the update.

albaniandroid

Feb 2, 2016
I just posted this question lol i wish i seen your post before. Im dealing w same issue, kind of feel better at least knowing im not the only one dealing with it lol

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT
I think all the touch problems are related to Google Assistant, this app is just too busy messing things up. I use Nova, turned the Assistant off but it was still showing up with a prompt/notification on the bottom telling me to turn it on. So I have disabled the entire Google app and I don't see the Assistant anymore, all is good. Google Play, Pay, Maps etc..., the things I need they all stay intact. And btw, I don't use screen protector.

Last edited:

MichRT

Sep 9, 2011
I just posted this question lol i wish i seen your post before. Im dealing w same issue, kind of feel better at least knowing im not the only one dealing with it lol

The only issue I've found is that they seemed to have changed the swipe logic on the homescreen launcher, it acts like it's looking for a slightly different gesture. My muscle memory for quickly accessing overview had to be tweaked slightly, but I've gotten used to it.

I'm not noticing other issues with screen sensitivity. I have an OtterBox Commuter case and the "OMOTON" glass screen protector on my 4a. I adjusted the back swipe sensitivity because the lip of my case is fairly large but that's it.

I'm sorry to hear there have been issues with this :(

I'm assuming you're using a screen protector?

Try the new touch sensitivity toggle

aohus

Sep 10, 2010
This issue has been fixed. I think what's troubling is that it was fixed without needing an update... So what dynamic changes are being made within the OS without the need for an OTA update?

edit: nvm its back again. anyone else having touch issues again?

Last edited:

Juansegovia20

Oct 21, 2013
I have same problem and it's so annoying, I also have a screen burn in almost 1cm by 1cmnafter one day of use and volume going up and down on it's own ???

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have same problem and it's so annoying, I also have a screen burn in almost 1cm by 1cmnafter one day of use and volume going up and down on it's own ???
Still no issues here. I am not downplaying those that have this (not at all!) but wonder if an app conflict is part of the cocktail. I do not use Google Assistant which some have implicated. Also have very few apps authorized for screen reading (albeit probably not a factor)

Edit: read on; screen protectors and heat appear to be contributing factors.

Last edited:

ssmcd

Dec 3, 2010
Sad to report this issue is NOT yet fixed. It appears to only happen when the phone heats up WITH a screen protector. Just played a game of Risk for about an hour and the problem came back. Just removed my Supershieldz screen protector and the problem is gone. When the phone cools down I'll add the screen protector back and the issue most likely won't come back until the phone heats up again. This never happened on Android 10, so something must have changed with the update. Hopefully it's just a simple software fix and not a hardware issue.

Last edited: