Android 11.0 Pixel 4a Touch Sensitivity Issue (inaccurate touches)

Search This thread

grimez

Apr 28, 2010
Have to reaffirm what ssmcd just said. I was using my phone without this issue consistently, but it actually got warm for the first time today after the 11 update and I started to struggle to type. Came here to see if there was any correlation to heat, and bam! Keeping my screen protector on for now, just gonna try to keep the lil thing cool.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
So what do you all thinking, should I exchange my phone? I have to imagine others are not experiencing this item even with screen protectors since it is not a wide spread issue.

From Google CS:
This email is in regards to the conversation we had about touch screen issue on Android 11. As discussed during chat this is a follow up email.

If you haven’t yet tried the troubleshooting in our Help Center for a screen that isn’t responding, please let me recommend those specific steps. They target common issues. Learn how to fix a Pixel screen.

Those steps walk you through how to:

Check and test your screen.
Restart your phone by holding down your Power button.
See whether an app is causing the problem and fix it.
If you’ve turned on Developer options, turn them off.
If you’ve already tried all those steps, especially restarting with your physical Power button, and your screen is still not responsive, you could need to reset your phone to factory settings.

Important: If you can, back up first. Any data that’s not backed up to your Google Account or another service will be lost. Learn how

Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time for 10-15 seconds.
Press Volume Down until you see "Recovery mode.”
Press the Power button once.
Then press and hold Power again. While holding down Power, press the Volume Up button.
With the volume buttons, scroll to "Wipe data/factory reset.” Then press the Power button.
With the volume buttons, scroll to "Yes." Then press the Power button.
When done, you'll see "Data wipe complete" near the bottom of the screen.
With the volume buttons, scroll to "Reboot system now." Then press the Power button.
Hope you find the instructions helpful. If you've any more questions or concerns related to the device, please reply to this email. I'm happy to help!

I will be RMA’ing the device. Bummer. Mine works fine outside this issue.

Last edited:

aohus

Sep 10, 2010
Problem still happening. **** it. I'm returning this **** device. Lack of support from Google just killed it for me.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
I upgraded this AM before starting a return as Amazon is still back logged.

I can confirm that I still have the issue on upgrade, but it goes away when I remove my screen protector. I even tried to heat up the phone a bit and still do not have the issue.

I ordered some new screen protectors from Amazon to test. Most are saying the OMOTON still work so I will test them out.

FullScreen57

Dec 16, 2010
I upgraded this AM before starting a return as Amazon is still back logged.

I can confirm that I still have the issue on upgrade, but it goes away when I remove my screen protector. I even tried to heat up the phone a bit and still do not have the issue.

I ordered some new screen protectors from Amazon to test. Most are saying the OMOTON still work so I will test them out.

I have had the OMOTON screen protectors on my phone since day 1 and am still experiencing screen issues after the Android 11 upgrade :mad:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Roll back to 10 and wait for a fix.
DU 14.7 has September ASB and runs great.
I wouldn't be so confident a 'fix' is in the works. Google is fairly prescriptive on the UX (witness removing gesture support for 3rd party launchers). Improving life with a screen protector probably isn't on their short list of priorities.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
There are issues with no screen protector. Touching links is hit and miss. 20% of the time I get copy paste popup as if I held it too long. After 2nd or 3rd try it'll go to link.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using XDA Labs

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Get the app display tester. It has various diagnostic tools for displays including pressure and touch sensitivity. There's definitely something off with the touch being registered on this phone. In the display tester app, you can hit 50% pressure if you put a lot of force behind your thumb on the screen. Anything else is always in the 15% or less pressure registered.

I'd bet this isn't a code patch Google can roll out as a fix, it's the hardware issue. Really sucks having to tap the same place three times for it to pick up the touch.

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
So interesting test. I took a glass screen protector with the back film on and placed it on the screen. I touched the screen and it worked perfect. I then put a small drop of water in the center of the screen so the protector adhered to the screen and the touch issue went crazy.

Unfortunately I don't know what to draw from this conclusion, but it is an interesting note.

g92069

Sep 23, 2020
Scrolling

Pixel 4a. I do not have Android 11. Backed out of final beta because of Bluetooth/streaming issues. I have Android 10. I continually have issues, at least once daily, where the screen becomes unresponsive. Won't scroll. For me, swipe back or hit the power button and everything is as it should be. PIA. Sometimes, I really hate Android. Not as much as Apple though. Good luck to all

Last edited:

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
That makes no sense - the issue does not occur with Android 10, only Android 11. Of course it can be fixed in software.

I had the same issues OP described while using 10. It was one of the first negative things I picked up on after using the phone a while, inaccurate touch screen.

Like I said, try display tester on your phone. See how the touch pressure test and the touch screen test illustrate the problem.

countalmaviva

Jan 30, 2008
Bloomington
Try removing your screen protector

I was having some problems similar to what is being described here. Mostly it was a near total lack of pinch to zoom function - photos, maps, etc.
Removing my tempered glass screen protector immediately restored pinch to zoom. I don't remember the brand of the screen protector, but it was fairly expensive and came from Best Buy. Only one in the package (many come with three). I guess I'll try a cheaper one -- maybe it'll be thinner and won't interfere?

Ever since upgrading to Android 11.0, immediate issue has been the sensitivity of the touch screen.

Scrolling up and down will randomly select a link or an item on the page i was scrolling. This seems really evident when you open Google when you scroll all the way to the left. Start scrolling up and down and see if you get errant presses. Seems to be happening a lot on the right hand side of the display where the touches get inaccurate.

I'll be really frank here.... Google sucks at testing and pushing stable updates...

00dakota

Sep 27, 2020
Pixel 4a Android 11 touch problem solution

So I like many here updated to Android 11 and a few days later I noticed the screen problems. When I use the news feed app it was awful. The screen would select EVERYTHING and make it a pain to try and read an article. Not wanting to remove my screen protector (as many have stated seems to solve the problem), or downgrade to Android 10, I decided to try an app. I installed the app "Touchscreen Calibration" by RedPi and I am shocked to say it worked. The calibration took about 1 minute and then said to restart the phone for the changes to take effect. The calibration has you do a quick press, 2 quick presses, pinch zoom, and some others. After restart I opened the news app and was shocked to see it work flawless. I even purposely tried to hold and scroll on links/share options and it would not open the them (prior to the app, barely touching these would open the link/share option). I then tried a few other apps and am happy to report they are working normal again. I have not done a tone of testing nor have I restarted a second time (scared it might revert back), but I can say it seems to have completely resolved the problem. The app is free, did not ask for any permissions, and was a small file. Give it a try and see if it works and if so spread the word.

2t0m

Jun 22, 2011
List of compatible screen protectors ?

An experiment has been carried out here and it seems like the screen protector thickness could be a workaround to the touch sensitivity issue.

May we list all compatible and incompatible screen protectors here ?

NB : I have not received my Pixel 4a yet.