Android 11.0 Pixel 4a Touch Sensitivity Issue (inaccurate touches)

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
This deserves to be stickied in its own thread. People don't realize Google won't do anything about it unless they are being told by numerous customers that there's a problem.
The number of hits generated by XDA members is hardly influential and won't move Google's meter. What matters is carrier feedback from happy/unhappy customers which overwhelming drives device sales.

roguemav

Oct 1, 2020
Just got myself a brand new Pixel 4a with Tempered Glass and Android 11 installed. Still having the sensitivity and phantom touch issues. Anyone know whether if there's any update from Google yet?

Steve One

Jan 2, 2011
Remove the Glass screen protector and you will be golden.

Last edited:

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
The number of hits generated by XDA members is hardly influential and won't move Google's meter. What matters is carrier feedback from happy/unhappy customers which overwhelming drives device sales.

You obviously don't know how Google's issue tracker works. They aren't doing analytics to see how many people viewed an issue. Issuetracker is based on a system of how many stars an issue gets. The more times an issue is starred, the greater likelihood Google will actually look into it. It also separates the outlier cases from issues that are platform wide, based on the number of times an issue is starred. The issue in question currently has 400+ Stars, which is an okay amount. But the more stars an issue gets the better chance it gets of being resolved and it also tells Google that the problem is prevalent throughout the ecosphere, I.e. a bug that needs to be fixed.

Not to mention Android news websites will pick up on heavily starred issues and make articles about them drawing more attention to the issue and putting more pressure on Google to fix it, if they can.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
You obviously don't know how Google's issue tracker works. They aren't doing analytics to see how many people viewed an issue. Issuetracker is based on a system of how many stars an issue gets. The more times an issue is starred, the greater likelihood Google will actually look into it. It also separates the outlier cases from issues that are platform wide, based on the number of times an issue is starred. The issue in question currently has 400+ Stars, which is an okay amount. But the more stars an issue gets the better chance it gets of being resolved and it also tells Google that the problem is prevalent throughout the ecosphere, I.e. a bug that needs to be fixed.

Not to mention Android news websites will pick up on heavily starred issues and make articles about them drawing more attention to the issue and putting more pressure on Google to fix it, if they can.
Welp, I do know how issue tracker works and the original argument stands as it pertains to XDA member influence. Carrier, media and social pressure is far more influential. Soliciting XDA member input certainly can't hurt but probably won't move the needle. A XDA news story might if the problem is perceived to warrant such coverage.

Park the personal attacks.

Ashcunak

Apr 29, 2010
Get the app display tester. It has various diagnostic tools for displays including pressure and touch sensitivity. There's definitely something off with the touch being registered on this phone. In the display tester app, you can hit 50% pressure if you put a lot of force behind your thumb on the screen. Anything else is always in the 15% or less pressure registered.

I'd bet this isn't a code patch Google can roll out as a fix, it's the hardware issue. Really sucks having to tap the same place three times for it to pick up the touch.

wow, ran display tester did the one test and tried to touch everywhere on my screen once with a case (poetic heavy duty case) and once with out the case (no screen cover AT ALL of any type on both tests)

Case on is the first one ending on 010 case off is the second one file name ending in 250, can see that i was able to touch the edges more on one side during the no case test. (hole punch camera was in the lower left each time) both of them had issues touching the edges overall tho.

is this the same sort of issues others are seeing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-143010.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-143010.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Screenshot_20201002-143250.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-143250.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 214

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
While I wasn't experiencing the same touch issues as others the October update brings a more pleasant navigation experience IMO. Not a huge difference but certainly noticable on a 'bare' screen.

crakedparrot

Jan 13, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
Seems to have helped.

Did the update and almost immediately noticed that screen navigation was much better.
Don't know if anybody else has noticed this but my phone seems to be running 50% faster than it was previously, not sure if it's real or perceived but nevertheless I'm very happy with the performance of this 730 g chipset.

S

Serg_Bryk

Issuetracker is reporting an issue after the October 5 update

mrsatan

Jul 12, 2009
SLC
Scrolling touch sensitivity seems to be fixed but I seem to be getting more random touches on the edges. I really wish the phone had a bit more side bezels.

adzprazolam

Dec 23, 2014
No matter the launcher, oftentimes tapping an icon on the homescreen will do nothing...then requiring another tap to open the app.

Tried on two different pixel 5's...same issue. It looks like it registers the tap, almost redraws the screen a little then does nothing. Strange behaviour indeed. Problem not present when using 3 button navigation.

Anyone else found this?

_a!

Sep 13, 2018
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
No matter the launcher, oftentimes tapping an icon on the homescreen will do nothing...then requiring another tap to open the app.

Tried on two different pixel 5's...same issue. It looks like it registers the tap, almost redraws the screen a little then does nothing. Strange behaviour indeed. Problem not present when using 3 button navigation.

Anyone else found this?

No. Pixel 4a, standard launcher, not using 3 button navigation, no screen protector - never had a problem single clicking an icon.