Android 11 preview

Search This thread

Mostafa Wael

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2013
Gotham

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
For those having issues downloading the boot.img file from the referred link, I have uploaded the boot.img file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8qwcfihj64eklbo/unsigned-new.img/file
:

Thanks for the boot image as original link was broken, so downloaded Android Kitchen but when I went back to make mine the other night Android Kitchen had been deleted as flagged as a malware (false positive I would think due to tools, not that I've investigated it), so haven't had chance to make one.

Great write up! A must read for anyone thinking of installing Android 11, I'll likely do it on next release. (see write up link on previous page people ?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mostafa Wael

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
Thanks for the boot image as original link was broken, so downloaded Android Kitchen but when I went back to make mine the other night Android Kitchen had been deleted as flagged as a malware (false positive I would think due to tools, not that I've investigated it), so haven't had chance to make one.

Great write up! A must read for anyone thinking of installing Android 11, I'll likely do it on next release. (see write up link on previous page people )

Cheers mate! glad I could help! :highfive:
Hopefully we could follow the same procedure to install the upcoming Dev Preview build and/or the upcoming beta build without facing any issues.

Reactions: IronRoo

hooutoo

Apr 17, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Just wondering if anyone else is getting a blank screen after dialing of answering a call. My phone goes dark and I can't see a thing. I can't even hang up. Using the beta dialer suggested a few posts back.

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
Just wondering if anyone else is getting a blank screen after dialing of answering a call. My phone goes dark and I can't see a thing. I can't even hang up. Using the beta dialer suggested a few posts back.
Make sure the newly installed Dialer app is selected as the default app for 'Phone'. Also, make sure it has all the necessary permissions granted in the App info. (Might have gone a bit overboard and granted all permissions on my phone, sorry :p )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200330-210819.png
    Screenshot_20200330-210819.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot_20200330-210840.png
    Screenshot_20200330-210840.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 267
Reactions: mrmrkmail

mrmrkmail

Jan 21, 2018
It's possible to change gestural navigation sensitivity.
For example with nova launcher by creating a shortcut, which is related to the string settings$GesturalNavigationSettingsActivity which can be found under settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200331-095638.png
    Screenshot_20200331-095638.png
    224 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot_20200331-095651.png
    Screenshot_20200331-095651.png
    81 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
It's possible to change gestural navigation sensitivity.
For example with nova launcher by creating a shortcut, which is related to the string settings$GesturalNavigationSettingsActivity which can be found under settings.

Without even needing a 3rd party launcher app, you could download the "Activity Launcher" app from the Play Store, search for the Settings app, and then select the "Gesture Settings" option. It will open up a new settings page to adjust the sensitivity of the right edge AND the left edge independently.
Thanks for the valuable insight! :highfive:

Activity Launcher: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.szalkowski.activitylauncher

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-174611.png
    Screenshot_20200401-174611.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot_20200401-174621.jpg
    Screenshot_20200401-174621.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20200401-174628.png
    Screenshot_20200401-174628.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 203

daverup

Apr 4, 2008
There is a new GSI image, still preview 2, only bug fixes.
Flashed and running, not much tested.
The platform tools on windows seemed to have an issue recently, fastboot suddenly throwing errors.
The Linux platform tools seem to be fine.

Reactions: IronRoo
There is a new GSI image, still preview 2, only bug fixes.
Flashed and running, not much tested.
The platform tools on windows seemed to have an issue recently, fastboot suddenly throwing errors.
The Linux platform tools seem to be fine.
Just flashed and fastboot worked fine. Including April security update.
Seems to be running smoothly.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
Screenshot's new UI

I just noticed that the new "Screenshot's UI" has gone. Now, after I take a screenshot, the old-school notification of "Screenshot saved" appears in the notifications shade instead of the new UI where an animation is rendered of the current screen being minimised into a small window at the bottom left corner (with the options Share and Edit next to it). Is it only me or is that also at your end guys?

I just noticed that the new "Screenshot's UI" has gone. Now, after I take a screenshot, the old-school notification of "Screenshot saved" appears in the notifications shade instead of the new UI where an animation is rendered of the current screen being minimised into a small window at the bottom left corner (with the options Share and Edit next to it). Is it only me or is that also at your end guys?
New UI for screen shot still working on my PH1.

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham

I think I figured it out. After numerous trials and a lot of wiping. I think it's Dark Mode to blame, unfortunately. Google might have not programmed its new UI or designed it to work in Dark Mode, so it reverts to the old style of saving a screenshot: negating the new UI and displaying a notification in the notifications shade instead.

I think I figured it out. After numerous trials and a lot of wiping. I think it's Dark Mode to blame, unfortunately. Google might have not programmed its new UI or designed it to work in Dark Mode, so it reverts to the old style of saving a screenshot: negating the new UI and displaying a notification in the notifications shade instead.
I have been using dark mode all along.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4. fastboot flash boot_a unsigned-new.img (see comments below for file location)

For those having issues downloading the boot.img file from the referred link, I have uploaded the boot.img file here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/8qwcfihj64eklbo/unsigned-new.img/file

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I did my bit of coverage here: https://www.pixelspot.net/2020/03/2...-11-developer-preview-on-the-essential-phone/

I have compiled all sorts of procedures posted here in this article to make it a bit easier. Hats off to @hooutoo @newbieandroid @DAE1964 @mrmrkmail for sharing your insights with us! Cheers! :highfive:
    hello guys,
    i have coded a overlay for the stausbar that respect the front camera cutout.
    i also have managed to get the circle icon shape to work with the DP4.

first of all u need a rooded (latest Magisk carnary - https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/dev-magisk-canary-channel-bleeding-edge-t3839337) device and a root explorer (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/jrummy-apps/root-browser/root-browser-3-5-10-0-release/).
    in the attachment u can find the nessesary files you will need for the statusbar overlay and the circle icon shape.
    • copy the folders "DisplayCutoutEmulationEssential" and "IconShapeCircle" into "(root directory) produkt/overlay"
    • set the permission of the apks in the folders to rw - rw - r (664)
    • with root explorer go into the folder "(root) product/etc/sysconfig" and copy the xml file provided in the attachment and overwrite it or insert the following lines directly in the "preinstalled-packages-platform-overlays.xml (shown in red)":
    the xml file should look like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!-- Copyright (C) 2019 The Android Open Source Project

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
         you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
         You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
         distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
         WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
         See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
         limitations under the License.
    -->
    <!-- System packages to preinstall on all devices with frameworks-base-overlays, per user type.
         Documentation at frameworks/base/data/etc/preinstalled-packages-platform.xml
    -->
    <config>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.corner">
            <install-in user-type="FULL" />
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.double">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.tall">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_extra_wide_back">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_narrow_back">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_wide_back">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.threebutton">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.twobutton">
        </install-in-user-type>
      	[COLOR="Red"]<install-in-user-type package="com.android.theme.icon.circle">
        </install-in-user-type>
        <install-in-user-type package="com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.essential">
        </install-in-user-type>[/COLOR]
    </config>

• after rebooting your device the cutout overlay called "Essential" could be chosen in the developer options (see screenshot)
    • the circle icon shape cound be activated via usb debugging with the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell cmd overlay enable --user 0 com.android.theme.icon.circle
    android 11 working realy good on essential phone i will upload complete package to flash BOOTLOADER UNLOCK NEEDED
    Here is my personal if anyone want to use it. I've been running this as my daily for about a week now.

Android 11 - December Security Patch
    Install:
    1. Download the above files
    2. adb reboot bootloader
    3. Flash images
      fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
      fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
      fastboot flash system_a system.img
      fastboot flash system_b system.img
      fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img
      fastboot flash vendor_b vendor.img
      fastboot -w
    4. reboot
    5. setup
    6. enjoy

Safety Net:
    • Install Magisk Manager
    • Patch the above boot.img with 21.x from the beta channel
    • Flash patched boot.img
    • Enable Magisk Hide
    • Install MagiskHide Props Config; set fingerprint to essential android version 10; reboot

Not Working; don't care since I don't need them; did not test:
    • Essential camera app
    • 360 camera
    • Verizon/Sprint VoLTE
    • Wifi Calling

Thanks @phhusson for the in app finger print sensor and volte fix
    Thanks @LynnTheFolf for gapps