Android 11 Stock ROM for Moto G9 Plus and root with Magisk (Odessa - XT2087-1)

Search This thread
This is my first post, I'm not a pro at roms/kernel/etc, but I've learned something over the years, I guess.

Well, let's do it. This process is the same as reviving a bricked phone. This is an official rom so you don't need to have the bootloader unlocked, unless obviously you want to be rooted. As you know, we only need four things, the motorola universal drivers installed, adb and flashboot drivers, platform tools and the official android 11 Stock Rom (Retail Version), I don't know if it works with the dual sim version but this is easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Tools:

-Motorola drivers: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/88481/

-Adb and fastboot drivers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0...WkE/view?resourcekey=0-64AHOI-cvO3EHX6xZiOXQg

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4623157&d=1540039037

-Platform Tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

-Stock Rom: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/odessa/official/RETAIL/

-More Moto G9 Plus Roms: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/odessa/official/

Instructions:

First, install the drivers, then unzip the platform tools rar, and with the stock rom downloaded, you just have to unzip it and transfer all the files to the platform tools folder, it doesn't matter that all the files get out of order, just make sure that all the files both as the platform tools and stock rom are in the same folder.

Now, make sure that your phone is at least 90%, if you want to have a clean experience, I recommend to do a factory reset, if you don't want that, don't do it, it still works, although it takes a little longer to install, lmao.

Second, turn off your phone and enter to fastboot mode, once you have installed all the drivers, just connect your phone to the PC, it should recognize it. To make sure, open a terminal and type the command "fastboot devices", and it should respond with a code and with the word 'fastboot' next to it. With that we know that the PC recognizes the device.

Third, close the terminal and now open a power shell or cmd with administrator permissions, and inside the terminal enter into the folder where the platform tools and stock rom files are. How to do it? (if you don't already know) There are two ways, you open a terminal directly from the folder, or inside cmd or power shell you write [cd 'insert folder address'] simple as that, hit enter, and then just copy and paste these commands and hit enter:

fastboot oem fb_mode_set fastboot flash partition gpt.bin fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot flash radio radio.img fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin fastboot flash logo logo.bin fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.1 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.2 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.3 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.4 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.5 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.6 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.7 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.8 fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin fastboot flash erase userdata fastboot flash erase ddr fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Let everything proceed, there should be no errors or anything like that if you have all your drivers installed correctly. After it finishes processing, reboot the phone and you already have Android 11 installed, then just configured your phone.

What's working (for me) lmaooo:

Everything, this rom seems to be optimized for all moto G9 Plus devices in general, although in system information it says that it is from Brazil, which I heard about it has many bugs and lag.

What's not working:

I don't know, don't tell me because I don't know anything about rom development, lmfao.

Just kidding, it has certain bugs. The default launcher for some reason has a large empty space where the Google widget should be, it's very annoying, but since I use the Nova Launcher, I could easily forget it.
The other thing would be is that sometimes the navigation bar gets bugged, very seldom but it happens, and it gets stuck vertically when you're using horizontal content, you just fix it using the auto-rotate to detect its position, or you use the gesture of recent apps in the position in which you are using it, it has only happened to me in some games like Fortnite or watching a video, very few times, but as I said, it happens from time to time.
Those are the only problems I've had, otherwise I feel it more fluid and faster than the default Android I had, even more, before the battery lasted 8 to 10 hours but now it can last 12 hours of constant use in basic applications such as social networks and media content and I have installed many applications that are open in the background all day long. So that's a pretty good thing.

Now I will teach you how to install root with Magisk.

Magisk Manager Apk: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v8.0.6/MagiskManager-v8.0.6.ap

Credits to the developer and creator of Magisk, TopJohnWu

Link of his GitHub page (So you can keep up with his work):

I hope you have not yet deleted any files from the platform or the stock rom, because we will only need one file, boot.img, the key to everything.

So, once your mobile is configured, (obviously you must have the bootloader unlocked for this), just in case it turned on USB debugging, I don't know, I'm not sure, lmao, but I did it with USB debugging turned on. Copy the boot.img file to the phone memory and install the Magisk Manager apk, open the app and then go to install magisk, it will take you to the section where it says if you want to install magisk by patching a boot file, you click there and then select the boot.img file, it will patch it and then it will download you an img file that you'll gonna found in the download folder. You're going to copy that file and take it to the platform folder in the PC, then you're going to rename it as boot.img, do not replace the original file, just remove the original file from that folder and leave the renamed there.

Now turn off the mobile and enter to fastboot mode, as in the other process, open a terminal with the address of the folder, and put this command:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

And then reboot the system, go to the Magisk Manager and it should show you that you have root installed.

Congratulations, you are now rooted on your new Android 11 system. I hope this tutorial has been helpful to you, and that you have been able to understand me, since english is not my native language, that was it, thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-055934.png
    Screenshot_20210829-055934.png
    228 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_20210829-060450.png
    Screenshot_20210829-060450.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_20210829-055926.png
    Screenshot_20210829-055926.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_20210829-060234.png
    Screenshot_20210829-060234.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20210829-060520.png
    Screenshot_20210829-060520.png
    759.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_20210829-060539.png
    Screenshot_20210829-060539.png
    153 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_20210829-060605.png
    Screenshot_20210829-060605.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20210829-055955_1_1.png
    Screenshot_20210829-055955_1_1.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20210829-063120.png
    Screenshot_20210829-063120.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

oscararm10

Feb 8, 2020
Friend, thank you very much I was waiting for this method since the update by OTA is taking a long time.
I did the update and everything was fine, only the command "fastboot flash erase userdata" gave me an error but it is not of much importance. I've been using android 11 and everything is perfect.

Reactions: christjeam
Friend, thank you very much I was waiting for this method since the update by OTA is taking a long time.
I did the update and everything was fine, only the command "fastboot flash erase userdata" gave me an error but it is not of much importance. I've been using android 11 and everything is perfect.
Woah, that's weird, that command simply deletes all files from internal memory that don't belong to the system. Anyway, great that it served you, I also got tired of waiting for the update, lmao.

oscararm10

Feb 8, 2020
Woah, that's weird, that command simply deletes all files from internal memory that don't belong to the system. Anyway, great that it served you, I also got tired of waiting for the update, lmao.
Yes, it also made me strange, but what matters is that it worked. This update improves the cell phone a lot, now the battery lasts longer and the cell phone feels faster.
The only bug I have is when I put the full screen in horizontal mode or when I play in horizontal screen the gesture bar remains active which does not allow me to select things that are in that place but I solve it they place the phone horizontally where the gesture bar is next to the camera. It is somewhat difficult to describe this bug, but it is not something that bothers or is very serious

Yes, it also made me strange, but what matters is that it worked. This update improves the cell phone a lot, now the battery lasts longer and the cell phone feels faster.
The only bug I have is when I put the full screen in horizontal mode or when I play in horizontal screen the gesture bar remains active which does not allow me to select things that are in that place but I solve it they place the phone horizontally where the gesture bar is next to the camera. It is somewhat difficult to describe this bug, but it is not something that bothers or is very serious
Nice. It's great to know that it improved your experience on your mobile. Yeah, I also have that bug from time to time, but I solved it using the recent apps gesture, I simply do the gesture and go back to the app, and it is already in full screen without the navigation bar nor the notification bar. Another possible solution is to go to the screen settings and use the option to put the apps full screen, maybe that fixes the problem in some apps or games!

oscararm10

Feb 8, 2020
Nice. It's great to know that it improved your experience on your mobile. Yeah, I also have that bug from time to time, but I solved it using the recent apps gesture, I simply do the gesture and go back to the app, and it is already in full screen without the navigation bar nor the notification bar. Another possible solution is to go to the screen settings and use the option to put the apps full screen, maybe that fixes the problem in some apps or games!
Super, I will fit certain apps with the full screen option. Thanks

Alex _dDd

Sep 12, 2021
lol, did smth wrong , thought bricked the device,got in bootloop, anyway for those whom this didnt work, there is a save firmware for moto g9 plus if you have the bootloader unlocked https://motostockrom.com/?s=g9+plus ,then just hit flashfile.bat while in fastboot to restore everything
I managed finally to upgrade to Android 11 pretty simple after a few days, just copied all the files from the RPA stock rom (the link in the original post with android 11) to the folder with the save firmware (the one with android 10 link above), renamed the file with the ODESSA_RETAIL_QPAS30.19-Q3-32-50-5_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.info ( check in the folder , i renamed the RPA to QPA and deleted the original QPA, because otherwise you will have 2 similar files) and just did it like restoring the original firmware (execute flashfile.bat ), only i had Android 11 now )) everything works fine
PS noticed afterwards that adb overscan does not work in any android 11 but managed to hide the navbar with this : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-remove-nav-bar-in-android-11.4190469/
Hope helps.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
lol, did smth wrong , thought bricked the device,got in bootloop, anyway for those whom this didnt work, there is a save firmware for moto g9 plus if you have the bootloader unlocked https://motostockrom.com/?s=g9+plus ,then just hit flashfile.bat while in fastboot to restore everything
I managed finally to upgrade to Android 11 pretty simple after a few days, just copied all the files from the RPA stock rom (the link in the original post with android 11) to the folder with the save firmware (the one with android 10 link above), renamed the file with the ODESSA_RETAIL_QPAS30.19-Q3-32-50-5_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.info ( check in the folder , i renamed the RPA to QPA and deleted the original QPA, because otherwise you will have 2 similar files) and just did it like restoring the original firmware (execute flashfile.bat ), only i had Android 11 now )) everything works fine
PS noticed afterwards that adb overscan does not work in any android 11 but managed to hide the navbar with this : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-remove-nav-bar-in-android-11.4190469/
Hope helps.
You don't want to use the same bat file without checking the flash_file.xml commands can change with updates.

Edshimmi

Sep 20, 2021
Moto G9 Plus
I did the update and everything was fine, only the command "fastboot flash erase userdata" gave me an error but it is not of much importance. I've been using android 11 and everything is perfect.doesn't enter fastboot because it is corrupted. You'll have to wait till someone releases a Blankflash for this devices Im afraid.
(Moto g9 plus Odessa xt2087-2)

Hope helps.
Wow, that's weird, but I see that you could solve it and that makes me happy, enjoy your Android 11!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my first post, I'm not a pro at roms/kernel/etc, but I've learned something over the years, I guess.

Well, let's do it. This process is the same as reviving a bricked phone. This is an official rom so you don't need to have the bootloader unlocked, unless obviously you want to be rooted. As you know, we only need four things, the motorola universal drivers installed, adb and flashboot drivers, platform tools and the official android 11 Stock Rom (Retail Version), I don't know if it works with the dual sim version but this is easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Tools:

-Motorola drivers: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/88481/

-Adb and fastboot drivers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0...WkE/view?resourcekey=0-64AHOI-cvO3EHX6xZiOXQg

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4623157&d=1540039037

-Platform Tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

-Stock Rom: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/odessa/official/RETAIL/

-More Moto G9 Plus Roms: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/odessa/official/

Instructions:

First, install the drivers, then unzip the platform tools rar, and with the stock rom downloaded, you just have to unzip it and transfer all the files to the platform tools folder, it doesn't matter that all the files get out of order, just make sure that all the files both as the platform tools and stock rom are in the same folder.

Now, make sure that your phone is at least 90%, if you want to have a clean experience, I recommend to do a factory reset, if you don't want that, don't do it, it still works, although it takes a little longer to install, lmao.

Second, turn off your phone and enter to fastboot mode, once you have installed all the drivers, just connect your phone to the PC, it should recognize it. To make sure, open a terminal and type the command "fastboot devices", and it should respond with a code and with the word 'fastboot' next to it. With that we know that the PC recognizes the device.

Third, close the terminal and now open a power shell or cmd with administrator permissions, and inside the terminal enter into the folder where the platform tools and stock rom files are. How to do it? (if you don't already know) There are two ways, you open a terminal directly from the folder, or inside cmd or power shell you write [cd 'insert folder address'] simple as that, hit enter, and then just copy and paste these commands and hit enter:

fastboot oem fb_mode_set fastboot flash partition gpt.bin fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot flash radio radio.img fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin fastboot flash logo logo.bin fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.1 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.2 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.3 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.4 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.5 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.6 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.7 fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.8 fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin fastboot flash erase userdata fastboot flash erase ddr fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Let everything proceed, there should be no errors or anything like that if you have all your drivers installed correctly. After it finishes processing, reboot the phone and you already have Android 11 installed, then just configured your phone.

What's working (for me) lmaooo:

Everything, this rom seems to be optimized for all moto G9 Plus devices in general, although in system information it says that it is from Brazil, which I heard about it has many bugs and lag.

What's not working:

I don't know, don't tell me because I don't know anything about rom development, lmfao.

Just kidding, it has certain bugs. The default launcher for some reason has a large empty space where the Google widget should be, it's very annoying, but since I use the Nova Launcher, I could easily forget it.
    The other thing would be is that sometimes the navigation bar gets bugged, very seldom but it happens, and it gets stuck vertically when you're using horizontal content, you just fix it using the auto-rotate to detect its position, or you use the gesture of recent apps in the position in which you are using it, it has only happened to me in some games like Fortnite or watching a video, very few times, but as I said, it happens from time to time.
    Those are the only problems I've had, otherwise I feel it more fluid and faster than the default Android I had, even more, before the battery lasted 8 to 10 hours but now it can last 12 hours of constant use in basic applications such as social networks and media content and I have installed many applications that are open in the background all day long. So that's a pretty good thing.

Now I will teach you how to install root with Magisk.

Magisk Manager Apk: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v8.0.6/MagiskManager-v8.0.6.ap

Credits to the developer and creator of Magisk, TopJohnWu

Link of his GitHub page (So you can keep up with his work):

I hope you have not yet deleted any files from the platform or the stock rom, because we will only need one file, boot.img, the key to everything.

So, once your mobile is configured, (obviously you must have the bootloader unlocked for this), just in case it turned on USB debugging, I don't know, I'm not sure, lmao, but I did it with USB debugging turned on. Copy the boot.img file to the phone memory and install the Magisk Manager apk, open the app and then go to install magisk, it will take you to the section where it says if you want to install magisk by patching a boot file, you click there and then select the boot.img file, it will patch it and then it will download you an img file that you'll gonna found in the download folder. You're going to copy that file and take it to the platform folder in the PC, then you're going to rename it as boot.img, do not replace the original file, just remove the original file from that folder and leave the renamed there.

Now turn off the mobile and enter to fastboot mode, as in the other process, open a terminal with the address of the folder, and put this command:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

And then reboot the system, go to the Magisk Manager and it should show you that you have root installed.

Congratulations, you are now rooted on your new Android 11 system. I hope this tutorial has been helpful to you, and that you have been able to understand me, since english is not my native language, that was it, thank you!
    Gg I'll try it tomorrow 😃
    Gg I'll try it tomorrow 😃
    Great! Tell me about your experience with this rom or if something goes wrong!