• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 12 Beta

Search This thread

wyelkins

Just got Beta 3. Great so far

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-153939.png
    Screenshot_20210714-153939.png
    204 KB · Views: 41

MArtyChubbs

It's pretty bad. It used to last ~20-24 hours. Now, I take if off the charger around 6-6:30, and it has maybe 30% left by the time I leave work at 5.. The only use is YouTube music in the car and at the gym, wireless android auto in the car, some texting, and maybe 10 minutes on FB per day. Pretty light use compared to what I used to use. It was great on beta 1, I think it was 2.1 that did it. Anyway, beta 3 should be released today, crossing my fingers it solves the issue. Otherwise I guess I have to factory reset..

Note, I got a replacement phone in January. They sent me a brand new one, not a refurb. So, no way the battery could have worn out this much.
Me too, new battery after the 50% battery issue. Hope B3 fixes your bad BL. Let us know 🤞

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
Google Pixel 4 XL
Looks like the animation glitches are gone as well as most of the issues I had on 2.

Issues on 3:
Some widgets still disappear after reboot.
Double tap to wake doesn't always work.
Android auto makes my phone think the phone app is open instead of AA wireless being projected. This makes dttw not work, the AOD turn off, and the power button doesn't always wake the phone on the first try.
The battery percentage does not always show on the AOD. It's hit or miss really.
The clock does not expand when there are no notifications present. After reboot it works once then back to not.
Text notifications still stay expanded sometimes in the notification panel.

Dislikes:
They took away the ability to choose different fonts... Not being able to change fonts, or not giving us many options has been one of my biggest gripes in android for a long time.
They took away the color from icons in settings. For trying to do a make it mine OS, making settings plain black seems like going backwards.

Being able to choose basic colors or having a couple choices with the make it mine wallpaper thing. However, more color choices would be great. Most seem to have the same colors, just a different application for them.
The icons. I do like how they change for the most part. Hardly any 3rd party icons change though, but that's likely because devs have only just gotten the API. They definitely need more than a couple choices though. Also, the ability to use 3rd party icons on a stock, non-rooted launcher would be great. Another one of my biggest gripes. The pixel launcher mods app doesn't work in changing the icons since beta 2 either...

I guess that's all for now.

Edit: So far the battery life is still crap. Hopefully it goes away after a couple charges and such.

Edit 2: Notification icons do not show on the AOD screen most of the time.

This is officially the most beta feedback reports I've done on any beta. 5 the second day... Fortunately, they're just really annoyances. They just can't get it right with these betas this year though! I guess it could be from all the major UI and such changes this year? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: MArtyChubbs

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
Google Pixel 4 XL
Has anyone done a clean install of beta 3? If yes, are you experiencing any of the issues I posted? I'm wondering if a factory reset will fix some of the issues I'm facing. Now I'm not getting notification popups on the AOD... These issues are just piling up.

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Has anyone done a clean install of beta 3? If yes, are you experiencing any of the issues I posted? I'm wondering if a factory reset will fix some of the issues I'm facing. Now I'm not getting notification popups on the AOD... These issues are just piling up.
I did a clean install after Beta 1 and the issues you're describing I have not experienced. I am getting a fair amount of ui lock up, non responsive touch, etc. Also, the notification dots are still hit and miss, new notification comes in, I can see the notification icon in the notification shade but there is no corresponding dot. Run Lawnchair and the dots work perfectly fine, back to Pixel launcher, not so much.

MArtyChubbs

I recommend to clean install. Personally I've had many battery drain issues cleaned up by doing exactly that.

Good luck 🤞

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
Google Pixel 4 XL
I did a clean install after Beta 1 and the issues you're describing I have not experienced. I am getting a fair amount of ui lock up, non responsive touch, etc. Also, the notification dots are still hit and miss, new notification comes in, I can see the notification icon in the notification shade but there is no corresponding dot. Run Lawnchair and the dots work perfectly fine, back to Pixel launcher, not so much.
I did a clean install with beta 1 too. Ugh, guess I need to reset again..

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
I'm having a lot of touch screen failures, screen becomes unresponsive until I reboot. I ended up putting my SIM in my iPhone, I'm hoping there will be a 3.x soon that addresses this😩. New Pixel pro or whatever cannot come soon enough!

Reactions: StrangerWeather

StrangerWeather

Recognized Contributor
Jul 18, 2012
Oxford
I have loads of weird issues on Beta 3, mainly my quick settings in the notification panel not showing most of the time, which is a real pain. I've gone through the dev channel so it's not a clean install. I also have an unresponsive screen now and then and I need to switch the device off and on again. Also, the search bar at the top of the app drawer looks really weird (there is no padding to the left of the G, and the corners are not rounded). I feel Beta 1 was much less buggy. I would revert to Android 11 but I do really like Android 12...

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Good to know, thanks for saving me the hassle.
I think it's just a case of suck it up until the next drop, used my iPhone all day today, it's fine but I start becoming bored with it after several hours. Already swapped the SIM back into my Pixel 4....feels good to be home. Hardware wise the 12 pro max is really strong but I just can't live in iOS for very long👍

android_dan

Feb 17, 2015
I was on a rom so I reverted back to stock and immediately loaded 12. No glitches here. Phone is rock solid. There is one interesting thing. On my OP8 with magisk installed and magisk hide toggled I have a banking app that will not work. Same on this phone with 12. I'm not sure what it's catching as this phone has a locked bootloader and isn't rooted.

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
Google Pixel 4 XL
So, Gpay did start working again, so that's cool. Still having a ton of issues though. Is it possible to flash back to beta 2.1? Asking for a me. The amount of issues with beta 3 is ridiculous. I can't believe google would push out even a beta like this. Definitely the worst beta I've experienced and I've been doing them since my pixel 2xl... Ugh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far it seems like the biggest issues I've been having are fixed. Now I see notification icons on the AOD, no more UI crashes or lockups. However, the notification popups on the AOD are still hit or miss. Overall, much better. Still room to improve though.
    Did you guys clean flash the beta or did you install the OTA from the dev page?
    I have tons of bugs on mine, having downloaded the OTA from the dev channel.
    3.1 has not resolved any of them. I am wondering whether to wipe and do a clean install. The strange thing is that Beta 1&2 worked great for me...
    I clean flashed beta 3 twice, still having some issues... 3.1 *mostly* fixed the UI crashes. I still don't get notification popups, nor notification icons on the AOD. It still gets stuck in recents sometimes. Just this morning it did that then locked up the UI for a bit. I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues! Google really needs to fix this stuff.
    FYI, to anyone having the Android auto issue where it turns off the AOD and acts like the app is open (shows it is in the notification panel), I got on the AA beta, and the beta install fixed this.

After the second wipe, my battery life is all over the place. Some days it's really good, back to normal, others its just bad. I really hope they push 3.1 this week, and that it has a ton of fixes.
    They pushed 3.1 today.
    I'm keen to install but does anybody know if Barclays and Natwest apps work with 12 Beta?
    Replying to my own question: yes, they work.
    thanks for the info i had no clue
    peace