• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Android 12 Breaks 5G NSA?

Search This thread

zschmeez

May 7, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
Hi, I updated to Android 12 when it was released, and it seems to have broken 5G NSA support on T-Mobile. With non-standalone in my area, I'm able to connect to midband 5G and get excellent data speeds. After the Android 12 update, it seems to prioritize standalone (SA) lowband 5G, which is often even slower than LTE, and I have not once seen it connect to NR NSA. I never encountered this on Android 11, but don't want to reflash my phone just to troubleshoot. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. Thanks!

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
what app are you using to get the connection info? i have yet to find a network tools app that handles dual sim phones well. a few apps state android os itself dropped 2 sim support after android 9.

zschmeez

May 7, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
what app are you using to get the connection info? i have yet to find a network tools app that handles dual sim phones well. a few apps state android os itself dropped 2 sim support after android 9.
I'm just going into Settings -> About Phone -> SIM Status. It tells me the type of connection for voice and data. If I were on midband, it would show LTE for Voice and NR NSA for data. But it's showing NR SA for both, indicating my phone is on lowband.

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
I'm just going into Settings -> About Phone -> SIM Status. It tells me the type of connection for voice and data. If I were on midband, it would show LTE for Voice and NR NSA for data. But it's showing NR SA for both, indicating my phone is on lowband.
ok. i just got a straight talk t-mobile sim activated this morning and i show LTE for voice and NR NSA for data network type. i've done a few speedtests and it's been between 130-150Mb down with 30 Mb up. however, google fi which is same t-mobile tower gets over 200Mb down /30Mb up. so it just appears to me that t-mobile gives a sweeter deal to Fi than to straight talk. but that's just one morning and a couple tests.

zschmeez

May 7, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
ok. i just got a straight talk t-mobile sim activated this morning and i show LTE for voice and NR NSA for data network type. i've done a few speedtests and it's been between 130-150Mb down with 30 Mb up. however, google fi which is same t-mobile tower gets over 200Mb down /30Mb up. so it just appears to me that t-mobile gives a sweeter deal to Fi than to straight talk. but that's just one morning and a couple tests.
Hmm, I'm on a normal T-Mobile plan, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference. Are you on Android 12?

This issue only showed up for me the day I updated my phone. I don't think I dropped it or anything, so I doubt it's something physically wrong with it. But I don't want to unlock the bootloader, wipe my phone, and roll back to Android 11 just for troubleshooting.

Last edited:

zschmeez

May 7, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
Figured out a solution. I stuck in my mom's T-Mobile SIM, which is much older and doesn't support standalone 5G, and it connected to NSA. So it's some software thing where they're heavily prioritizing SA 5G over NSA, even when NSA is available and SA is garbage.

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
Hmm, I'm on a normal T-Mobile plan, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference. Are you on Android 12?

This issue only showed up for me the day I updated my phone. I don't think I dropped it or anything, so I doubt it's something physically wrong with it. But I don't want to unlock the bootloader, wipe my phone, and roll back to Android 11 just for troubleshooting.
Yes, android 12. As well as a new sim. There was some mention by T-Mobile of having a new sim for the 5G. I have no idea if s new one is required, just that they said it in the materials they sent me that 5G would work best.

Jun 2, 2018
West Allis
I have T-Mobile and am getting great service with 5G where I am. I have just recently got it connected though, and I was already on Android 12 when I had it connected for service. Not sure if that matters though?

lightuser

Apr 11, 2019
Los Angeles
I use Mint on T-Mobile towers. I just upgraded to Android 12 OTA, and with the adaptive connectivity setting enabled I see LTE as the mobile voice and the data fluctuates between IWLAN and NR NSA. I have wifi-calling enabled, with mobile network preferred. I didn't pay attention to this status screen in the past, so cannot say if anything changed really...