General Android 12 is Rolling Out for Xperia™ 1 III [61.1.A.1.149]

Search This thread

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I have used ADB for many things and the only time something goes back to original is when you do a factory reset. At least that has been my experience. I doubt that Google cares about quick toggle manipulation. YMMV

HIXPERIA

Jun 23, 2017
Someone on Reddit mentioned Facebook app is removed after Android 12, probably meaning no longer pre-installed. Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: decomposed

Caroleus

Jan 29, 2022
Someone on Reddit mentioned Facebook app is removed after Android 12, probably meaning no longer pre-installed. Can anyone confirm this?
Nope, android 12 (XQ-BC52) - still had to get rid of it manually.

edit: same with tidal 3 month trial, couldnt uninstall it even after installing tidal lol

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
I have used ADB for many things and the only time something goes back to original is when you do a factory reset. At least that has been my experience. I doubt that Google cares about quick toggle manipulation. YMMV
I do not think Google cares too. And I have plenty of ADB experience don't you worry.

However, the separate toggles are now legacy code. Google may not remove the command in ADB. They can however just outright remove the code for separate toggles from Android itself. If the code doesn't exists in Android anymore, ADB commands do nothing.

Legacy codes will sooner or later be considered unused codes. By removing unused codes, we keep the programming simple and lean, which reduces storage usage and increases performance. It removes potential security vulnerabilities as well as bugs. As much as I want to use those separate toggles, I support removing unmaintained codes for the above instead of dealing with those issues. If they are not going to dedicate resources to fix bugs or patch vulnerabilities related to the existence of that code, please remove it.

And we all know Googles reputation too well of not listening to what their customers or even their partner phone manufacturers want. If they want to they will just abandon it and in the future remove it for the above reasons.

google2468

Feb 2, 2022
I'm waiting for this update because the truth is that the Battery Life of the Xperia 1 Mark III is terrible. 2% battery drain in IDLE with the screen off. I Hope they improved this.

can anyone who has received the update please comment on the battery life? has anything been done? i've tried everything including getting a new "5g" sim card, turning off 5g entirely, switching network types, turning off moble data and bluetooth entirely, resetting the phone, managing background apps... there's no fix. i'm draining at least 2% in deep sleep which is absolutely ridiculous. i've used xperia phones for a decade and even the stamina mode doesn't do much on for it. this sucker will just drain and drain.

i frankly don't believe the people saying they get ~.5% drain per hour with the screen off. maybe if you gimp the hell out of the phone, but i didn't buy a $1300 phone for that. besides this everything is great, i enjoy the audio paired with the wf-1000xm4, i got the fingerprint reader working well, and the screen and camera are amazing.

anything? i have 3 weeks left to return to amazon. the upgrade is really my last hope for this phone.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
"maybe if you gimp the hell out of the phone, but i didn't buy a $1300 phone for that."
I can sympathize with your statement quoted above. However, you need to weigh the Pro's and Con's. You see just because a piece of tech can do something doesn't necessarily mean it has to. It's the same with setting up a Windows PC.
For "ME" I see little to no real benefit to using the 120 refresh rates on any of the phones I have had that has this feature. I do not play games so....the 60 refresh rate is just fine. 5G is overrated. Yes I can get 5G without any issues and the speed tests show that it is faster than LTE up and down. However, in real world use I find that when using LTE web pages load faster/smoother. YouTube Videos do not stutter or buffer like they do on 5G. And for sure the battery drain is measurably lower when using LTE. So then it's up to you.

google2468

Feb 2, 2022
turned 5g off already and also tried 60hz, but my biggest gripe is no matter what i'm at least 2% battery drain during screen off. my screen on time is also bad. maybe 4 hours? i can't imagine what 4k 120hz youtube would be with what i'm experiencing, but i don't even use that. always on display was absolutely eating the battery so i had to turn that off.

i don't game either, i just like xperias.

when i say turn off features, i more so mean people turning off animations, downgrading performance, getting extremely restrictive with app or background usage to the point they don't get notifications, and the craziest one i've seen... using stamina mode 24/7!

i'm waiting on a new sim and android 12 to get pushed to me. i've made about every compromise i'm willing to make otherwise.

akkk44

Sep 17, 2018
I just can't help noticing that there was a gap between the battery status bar icon and the border of the screen...Which is really annoying

Reactions: akitomartin

akitomartin

Apr 12, 2016
Not only that, I don't know if anyone else has this problem:
When you enter the app drawer or return to the app drawer from another App.
The upper part where of the app drawer, the search bar, instead of being black (I have the dark theme enabled), it becomes semi-transparent white or white. Until you close everything and go back to the application drawer again, it does not go back to how it should be (black).
I can't take a screenshot of this, because when I do the gesture to take the screenshot, the error it goes away. Maybe I could make a video...

UsernameNotRecognized

May 17, 2012
Not only that, I don't know if anyone else has this problem:
When you enter the app drawer or return to the app drawer from another App.
The upper part where of the app drawer, the search bar, instead of being black (I have the dark theme enabled), it becomes semi-transparent white or white. Until you close everything and go back to the application drawer again, it does not go back to how it should be (black).
I can't take a screenshot of this, because when I do the gesture to take the screenshot, the error it goes away. Maybe I could make a video...
I know what you mean, same problem here.

Reactions: akitomartin

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I just can't help noticing that there was a gap between the battery status bar icon and the border of the screen...Which is really annoying
You must be on Android 12 because that's where a little green dot appears to "warn" you that either your microphone, or your camera, or both of them are active and listening/watching what you are doing.

akitomartin

Apr 12, 2016
Good news (?) I guess.
Several users report that the Android 12 update has disappeared from the OTA and the Xperia Companion. When they asked Sony's Official Technical Support, they said that they have removed it because they are already working on a new version of Android 12 without bugs.
Hopefully soon we will have news (as always Sony does not give dates). You can read the thread in the Sony official forum and Reddit here:

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
I am not in a rush to see or experience Android 12's UGLY theme's and I hope Sony gives us the ability to turn that pastel crap off. Other than that I hope they take their time and get this upgrade right! I do not ever want my phone to act like a Pixel! Everything is currently working properly and I want it to stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinmcmurtrie

Aug 22, 2015
Incomplete 5G, unusable microSd, and battery drain bugs are pretty big. Some models bootlooped fresh from the box until the kernel was patched weeks later. I've used Sony's Imaging Edge app and is the kind of garbage you get from low-end contractors, but I had hopped the OS would get better treatment.

I'm not sure if Android 12 will be any help. It's a chance for Sony and Google to fix some problems, as it is a chance for them to screw up new things. I've heard that Google's Android 12 is far worse than 11.

I need LineageOS!

google2468

Feb 2, 2022
yep, it's really sad. changing out sim cards makes no difference to my battery life. i'm averaging 2.4%/hour with the screen off... no thanks. it's really, really, really bad.

the fingerprint reader is also... i want to throw this through a wall at this point. i've tried both the finger print setup directions and the conflicting directions on their webiste. i've tried registering only one, registering 3, registering 5. sorry, it just sucks.

and lastly.. the proximity sensor! constantly pressing buttons during calls and i've never had this issue on another phone. yea, good luck with always on display and not pressing random buttons. i even tried xperi+ for the proximity sensor fix and while it helps in those scenarios, it also thinks it's covered when it's not sometimes during normal use. all around real crappy.

with the announcement that they are reworking their release of android 12, i really have no choice but to return this. not like i really thought it would fix all of the issues anyway. i honestly don't care if it's software or hardware related. this phone is $1,300 and not worth dealing with so many niggles.

my xz premium did not have these issues and i'm so sad i have to ditch xperia. i do enjoy using the wf-1000xm4 with it. i have plenty of other devices to use for music, though, and even have an LDAC transmitter for PC. i might keep these, but i need my phone to be a phone.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
yep, it's really sad. changing out sim cards makes no difference to my battery life. i'm averaging 2.4%/hour with the screen off... no thanks. it's really, really, really bad.

the fingerprint reader is also... i want to throw this through a wall at this point. i've tried both the finger print setup directions and the conflicting directions on their webiste. i've tried registering only one, registering 3, registering 5. sorry, it just sucks.

and lastly.. the proximity sensor! constantly pressing buttons during calls and i've never had this issue on another phone. yea, good luck with always on display and not pressing random buttons. i even tried xperi+ for the proximity sensor fix and while it helps in those scenarios, it also thinks it's covered when it's not sometimes during normal use. all around real crappy.

with the announcement that they are reworking their release of android 12, i really have no choice but to return this. not like i really thought it would fix all of the issues anyway. i honestly don't care if it's software or hardware related. this phone is $1,300 and not worth dealing with so many niggles.

my xz premium did not have these issues and i'm so sad i have to ditch xperia. i do enjoy using the wf-1000xm4 with it. i have plenty of other devices to use for music, though, and even have an LDAC transmitter for PC. i might keep these, but i need my phone to be a phone.
Mine works great! I have none of the issues that you are having. Therefore maybe you got a defective phone that needs to be exchanged/repaired under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ZayedCom

Top Liked Posts