Question Android 12 microphone block feature and emergency calls

Search This thread

TDP95

Mar 9, 2020
Hi,

I noticed with Android 12 there's a new feature to block camera and microphone access. I like to keep these blocks enabled unless I'm using an app that explicitly needs to use the camera or microphone. I noticed though that when receiving a call I had to unlock my device to unblock the microphone. I am wondering what happens if someone needed to use my phone to make an emergency call? Would the microphone be stuck blocked as they wouldn't know my password to unlock the device? Or, for emergency calls is the microphone automatically unblocked?

If anyone knows what would occur it's appreciated! Thanks!

Reactions: Lughnasadh

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I would guess that yes, the microphone would be blocked unless it was unlocked. I doubt if the permissions given pays attention or makes any difference what kind of call you're making. I could be wrong, though. Occasionally they set things up in a smarter way.

It's unfortunate that we don't have a way to test such things without breaking the law.

I'm not clear on where you changed the permission that causes that. Could you show a screenshot of the proper place? These are where I looked. The second screenshot is of where I got to when I searched in Android Settings for "microphone". I haven't changed them from the default settings. I know the microphone works with anyone I talk to from the lockscreen (such as incoming callers). It's set, of course, to allow the microphone for the Phone app only when the Phone app is in use.

ALbuECB7h0TbXwOZAFth4xX58C3zVJSNGiJKktyzQEJ41RlJbUetw_tD8a0IuVsKYmOkgVdNHL7J6a5aOOy6n9FZYOepdqlqqxjuTDiIiDChiccAaG_UlFu7A4_11800WdYlsnf7yRDK5SgP-ZYsnEbcqyT3DcbaEKSWW6k3GHyjIjgxEWor-MgZd7IUV783v9QOXCwgzl8NtbcNP2r5kNwJQQi1ucUikIlQLN0Tl3hvf0Rzhlb-EtNRCO8ol8QqkHDuDwWDUj5H2JusToMon4f_uFrnMDLEjTPrc1OE5g83O-duSPE4cUGX9K7ktU2MI9y8okraiwQbOW9eYvgB4bvijvYeCRNNcChTJ6D3EB5tqqTBq2LI5twoZt3xPwDLVI-jr4wfnz67h3q9EfGGNroTcSghwbf1sFVNf8wmGt1t0i5KhUFJmXyaLIVJfMk9g7r3Apqlehb9Xi_8dWEEUjQfUYYoe3EK7XyyGtE_dfeewemLMLk1xMeAAs3qYXCQpcngdW-W116cPsXq2zDIaJK1W-1W2mZf_yOEEtx6vJyKC_ipncFNgpxmCZk6xpCy7pcMQP0Hrz4GYvLQqEn007n0Vf_EMlcZrJ-MWvQ_Bnn0gbwO86ap4zPGj6LUzLAIKgUNttIyT465en9BmDlwUlt-J52nn73ymsJSYmUN9WmCQVZL3dQHfeDlxQ2W1QoPNCRSnPupsSR4uvVxawzwiZ_Llg=w595-h1288-no

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Hi,

I noticed with Android 12 there's a new feature to block camera and microphone access. I like to keep these blocks enabled unless I'm using an app that explicitly needs to use the camera or microphone. I noticed though that when receiving a call I had to unlock my device to unblock the microphone. I am wondering what happens if someone needed to use my phone to make an emergency call? Would the microphone be stuck blocked as they wouldn't know my password to unlock the device? Or, for emergency calls is the microphone automatically unblocked?

Apparently you can still make emergency calls with it toggled off.

"Now that you can turn off the camera and microphone entirely in Android 12, there are two toggle switches that you can add to the Quick Settings menu, which you access by swiping down from the top of your phone's screen.

Toggling these settings on will not grant all apps access to your microphone or camera, but only those apps to which you have already granted individual permission. Emergency calls will be able to override toggled-off microphone and camera switches."

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I would guess that yes, the microphone would be blocked unless it was unlocked. I doubt if the permissions given pays attention or makes any difference what kind of call you're making. I could be wrong, though. Occasionally they set things up in a smarter way.

It's unfortunate that we don't have a way to test such things without breaking the law.

I'm not clear on where you changed the permission that causes that. Could you show a screenshot of the proper place? These are where I looked. The second screenshot is of where I got to when I searched in Android Settings for "microphone". I haven't changed them from the default settings. I know the microphone works with anyone I talk to from the lockscreen (such as incoming callers). It's set, of course, to allow the microphone for the Phone app only when the Phone app is in use.

Hi,

Apparently you can still make emergency calls with it toggled off.

"Now that you can turn off the camera and microphone entirely in Android 12, there are two toggle switches that you can add to the Quick Settings menu, which you access by swiping down from the top of your phone's screen.

Toggling these settings on will not grant all apps access to your microphone or camera, but only those apps to which you have already granted individual permission. Emergency calls will be able to override toggled-off microphone and camera switches."