Android 12 non-root: get rid of ads, a quick and easy guide

Search This thread

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
Google Pixel 2
OnePlus 8T
I couldn't find a guide to show how to eliminate most ads for non-root users anywhere. Some of the steps are scattered across different articles. Spending the last several days setting up my Android 12 OnePlus 8T to block ads, I decided to post a quick and easy guide that others can use. Let's go.

Download:

YouTube Vanced, last version (yes Vanced still works, version 17.03.38):

Microsoft Edge (playstore)

AdAway:

1) First step is to setup YouTube Vanced. You'll need to allow the app to install from unknown sources, which should pop up automatically. Install the nonroot MicroG version. You click the arrows next to MicroG first, then YouTube and YouTube music. It will take a minute or two for each. After it installs, open YouTube Music Vanced and enter in your Google account details when MicroG pops up. Now open up YouTube Vanced and verify it shows your Google account in the top corner.

2) Get rid of stock YouTube / YouTube Music (we need to do this to associate Vanced with YouTube links). Go to your app drawer. Long click on YouTube. Choose "Disable" - get through the warnings and it should be gone from your app drawer. Do the same for YouTube Music.

3) Associate Vanced with YouTube web links. Open Settings, type in the search bar "default apps," click on it. Scroll to the bottom and select "Opening links." Select YouTube Vanced then click on "Add link." Select all 4 options that come up, then click "Add." Do the same for YouTube Music Vanced. Now anytime you click on a YouTube link it will open Vanced instead.

4) Install AdAway. You have to allow installation from unkown sources since it's an APK, which should pop up while installing. Select the Nonroot version. This will setup a VPN service to block "most" ads. Click Start, note you have to turn this back on after every reboot.

5) Install Edge. Click the 3 dots in the center / bottom of the screen. Go to "Settings," "Privacy and security," click "Block ads" and toggle "Block ads." This adds AdBlock Plus to help with web ad filtering.

6) Make Edge the default web browser. Open Settings, type in the search bar "default apps," click on it. The top entry is "Browser app," click on it and select Edge.

That's it! Note some ads will still get through, like some Google ads and other tricky advertising sites. But most will be gone. If you need any help feel free to ask.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Easy way to block ads globally for apps. Blocks some black listed sites too. Easy to toggle off if need be, no VNP.
Screenshot_20210824-120228_Settings.jpg

Reactions: mslezak

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
Google Pixel 2
OnePlus 8T
Easy way to block ads globally for apps. Blocks some black listed sites too. Easy to toggle off if need be, no VNP.
View attachment 5714609
I tried to enable that in Settings / Connection & sharing / Private DNS but it responds "cannot connect to dns.adguard.com." I also tried dns.adguard-dns.com but same thing.

After disabling the VPN made by AdAway it does in fact connect! So you can choose one or the other, not both. Which is better I'm not sure yet. Thanks!

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I tried to enable that in Settings / Connection & sharing / Private DNS but it responds "cannot connect to dns.adguard.com." I also tried dns.adguard-dns.com but same thing.

After disabling the VPN made by AdAway it does in fact connect! So you can choose one or the other, not both. Which is better I'm not sure yet. Thanks!
dns.adguard.com
No dash. It works.

dns.adguard.com
No dash. It works.
hello, I have been following you for a long time, somehow you managed to stay on android 9 without updating (I wish I had it too) I have an s10e and I want to switch to android 9. and I can't find any way. I wonder if there really is no "no" way? For example, something like opening the device and a short circuit? And are you satisfied with android 9?

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
Google Pixel 2
OnePlus 8T
hello, I have been following you for a long time, somehow you managed to stay on android 9 without updating (I wish I had it too) I have an s10e and I want to switch to android 9. and I can't find any way. I wonder if there really is no "no" way? For example, something like opening the device and a short circuit? And are you satisfied with android 9?
Should probably PM instead of posting on an A12 post. Not sure if you're replying to me or this post. I've made a lot of custom kernels so this non root business is new.

Reactions: kullanici32

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I couldn't find a guide to show how to eliminate most ads for non-root users anywhere. Some of the steps are scattered across different articles. Spending the last several days setting up my Android 12 OnePlus 8T to block ads, I decided to post a quick and easy guide that others can use. Let's go.

Download:

AdAway:

1) First step is to setup YouTube Vanced. You'll need to allow the app to install from unknown sources, which should pop up automatically. Install the nonroot MicroG version. You click the arrows next to MicroG first, then YouTube and YouTube music. It will take a minute or two for each. After it installs, open YouTube Music Vanced and enter in your Google account details when MicroG pops up. Now open up YouTube Vanced and verify it shows your Google account in the top corner.

2) Get rid of stock YouTube / YouTube Music (we need to do this to associate Vanced with YouTube links). Go to your app drawer. Long click on YouTube. Choose "Disable" - get through the warnings and it should be gone from your app drawer. Do the same for YouTube Music.

3) Associate Vanced with YouTube web links. Open Settings, type in the search bar "default apps," click on it. Scroll to the bottom and select "Opening links." Select YouTube Vanced then click on "Add link." Select all 4 options that come up, then click "Add." Do the same for YouTube Music Vanced. Now anytime you click on a YouTube link it will open Vanced instead.

4) Install AdAway. You have to allow installation from unkown sources since it's an APK, which should pop up while installing. Select the Nonroot version. This will setup a VPN service to block "most" ads. Click Start, note you have to turn this back on after every reboot.

5) Install Edge. Click the 3 dots in the center / bottom of the screen. Go to "Settings," "Privacy and security," click "Block ads" and toggle "Block ads." This adds AdBlock Plus to help with web ad filtering.

6) Make Edge the default web browser. Open Settings, type in the search bar "default apps," click on it. The top entry is "Browser app," click on it and select Edge.

That's it! Note some ads will still get through, like some Google ads and other tricky advertising sites. But most will be gone. If you need any help feel free to ask.
For youtube there is a new project called ReVanced which carries on vanced.
Instead of Edge, one can install modified Firefox with Ublock extension like on desktop to block ads via different filters.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Instead of Edge, one can install modified Firefox with Ublock extension like on desktop to block ads via different filters.
YouTube is a menace...
In the last couple days many YouTube sites now are showing ads at the beginning og the vids. No changes on my device. Lol, do I have malware or is YouTube funning around? YouTube is the only thing acting up, signed in or not. I refuse to give them one cent.

For the Samsung browser would this work? If so what downloads are needed?

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
Google Pixel 2
OnePlus 8T
YouTube Vanced still works without any ads. ReVanced I just heard about in this thread - not sure how well it copies Vanced. Apparently they just released a Music one too although not listed on the main website.
Thanks for that update. Looks like ReVanced came out with a music version but you have to use their alpha manager app to install it. Original Vanced still works perfectly, however. Some people are saying ReVanced still let's some ads through according to Reddit posts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Download:

AdAway:

Screenshot_20210824-120228_Settings.jpg
    Should probably PM instead of posting on an A12 post. Not sure if you're replying to me or this post. I've made a lot of custom kernels so this non root business is new.
    Already done...

Download:

AdAway: