• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 12 Public Beta

Search This thread

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Wondering if those that are running the public beta are experiencing the same kinds of issues I am?
1. Living universe wallpaper keeps crashing/defaulting to the out of the box wallpaper.
2. Maps preview (beta) doesn't allow keyboard input, I cannot type any kind of search, location, reviews, etc..
3. Notification dots keep going away, reboot and I'll get them for a while then new messages or emails come in and no dots.
4. Google Play Services is the #1 battery drainer.
5. I'm getting significantly poorer battery life. Typically end my day in the high 50-low 60% now I'm in the teens.

I fully understand this is beta and to be expected just a little difficult to use as my dd. Looking forward to the next beta release to hopefully correct some of these issues and not make things worse :)

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Wondering if those that are running the public beta are experiencing the same kinds of issues I am?
1. Living universe wallpaper keeps crashing/defaulting to the out of the box wallpaper.
2. Maps preview (beta) doesn't allow keyboard input, I cannot type any kind of search, location, reviews, etc..
3. Notification dots keep going away, reboot and I'll get them for a while then new messages or emails come in and no dots.
5. I'm getting significantly poorer battery life. Typically end my day in the high 50-low 60% now I'm in the teens.

I fully understand this is beta and to be expected just a little difficult to use as my dd. Looking forward to the next beta release to hopefully correct some of these issues and not make things worse :)
3. Mine stays but I'm using Hyperion Launcher
4. #3 on my list and it's not draining much battery at all
5. I'm getting good battery life. On stock kernel I was getting about .8%/hr idle drain and around 9-10%/hr active drain. On CleanSlate kernel I'm getting .65%/hr idle drain and 9.77%/hr active drain. Moderate use.

Can't speak to 1 and 2.

Did you do a clean install? Due to the issues I had on DP3, I did. I'm not having any of the issues above. My phone has been off the charger for about 7 hours and it's at 74%. That's with quite a bit of email, texts, YouTube music, etc. If you didn't do a clean install, I highly suggest it. If you did, you should try doing a factory reset again. I know that sucks to do, but you'll have a better experience if it clears up most or all of your issues.

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Did you do a clean install? Due to the issues I had on DP3, I did. I'm not having any of the issues above. My phone has been off the charger for about 7 hours and it's at 74%. That's with quite a bit of email, texts, YouTube music, etc. If you didn't do a clean install, I highly suggest it. If you did, you should try doing a factory reset again. I know that sucks to do, but you'll have a better experience if it clears up most or all of your issues.
I just signed up for the public beta when it was available and went from there. REALLY prefer not to do a dust and clean if I can avoid it.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario

Wallpaper isn't crashing for me. Maps seems to be working as normal. My Gmail notification dot is sometimes there and sometimes not, other apps the dots are fine. Don't really care what app/service is draining my battery the most as long as my battery life seems intact, at which this point it does. Getting good battery life. Also, everytime I install a beta I ALWAYS factory reset. And everytime I update to a new beta I do the same until the final release, once I get the public release I factory reset for the last time. Just what I've done for years now and I seem to experience a lot let issues then others. Worth a shot.

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Wallpaper isn't crashing for me. Maps seems to be working as normal. My Gmail notification dot is sometimes there and sometimes not, other apps the dots are fine. Don't really care what app/service is draining my battery the most as long as my battery life seems intact, at which this point it does. Getting good battery life. Also, everytime I install a beta I ALWAYS factory reset. And everytime I update to a new beta I do the same until the final release, once I get the public release I factory reset for the last time. Just what I've done for years now and I seem to experience a lot let issues then others. Worth a shot.
Are you using the living universe wallpaper? Also, which Google maps, the regular app or the preview which is their beta map application?
I bit the bullet and did a factory reset, so far battery life is much improved. Living universe wallpaper still a problem as is the notification dots on the stock launcher but I can deal with it. Voice to text works on Maps Preview so the lack of a working keyboard isn't the end of the world.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
Are you using the living universe wallpaper? Also, which Google maps, the regular app or the preview which is their beta map application?

I bit the bullet and did a factory reset, so far battery life is much improved. Living universe wallpaper still a problem as is the notification dots on the stock launcher but I can deal with it. Voice to text works on Maps Preview so the lack of a working keyboard isn't the end of the world.
Yes, I was using a couple different living earth wallpapers. Also, I'm using Google maps beta.