• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ANDROID 12 ROM ❯ 13 Nov 2021 ❯ ProtonAOSP 12.0.0

Search This thread

infotechjrf

Jan 19, 2017
Excellent work @Dollscythe

Thank you very much for the time spent working on this ROM,

Initially I've tested the November 13 "gApps" release, after trying to install Magisk and discovering the bootloop, I've spent more time testing the "Vanilla" release.

Been able to flash the Vanilla Build using your Flash-All.bat batch file, works flawlessly, right after reboot then flashed TWRP, NikGapps-Full-arm64-12-20211018 (with few error prompts throughout install process but overall essential Play Services apps installed correctly) then finally installed Magisk 23 in order fix SafetyNet check. Very pleased with your ROM so far.

What I've found broken or missing within "Vanilla Build";

- Flip to Shhh feature doesn't seem to work... I may be doing something wrong...
- Screen rotate with Face Recognition isn't a selectable option / doesn't show (Recalled it was there gApps release)
- Unable to add/setup/use any VPN networks within "Network & Internet" Setting menu, section is basically blank.

Very impressed by the stability of the build and I will be currently using my phone as a daily driver... Thank you very much for all the efforts given so we can stretch the life of our 2 XL devices!

Redion

Nov 7, 2011
Toronto
I just want to say "THANK YOU" to the creator of this ROM, my self I also thinking of upgrading to 6 Pro but if we can get working ROM then hell with 6, I am staying with 2 XL :)

Side note: When you are having issues with battery and phone shuts down when it still shows 20% or in that range then most likely your battery has bloated. By design when battery bloats then heatsink to the CPU of the phone lifts up and no longer provides any cooling since thermal paste is used and not a pad so there is no flexibility at all. Once battery lifts the middle layer of the phone's frame then CPU gets hot super quickly which causes it to thermal throttle down and run slow as heck. Replacing battery and putting in a thin thermal pad where thermal paste used to be, solves the temperature issue. Just keep in mind that you will probably break the screen when pulling off the screen, so buy a replacement ahead of time. Talking from x2 experience.... *ShyFacepalm

Last edited:

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Samsung Galaxy S20
Sorry I didn't asked rudely 😅😅 .... I was just asking generally 😅😅

I knew you were asking generally/nicely, hence why i didnt come down on you like a tonne of bricks (which is my usual response) :)

In dev threads ETA requests are usually frowned upon, as it pressures devs

@Dollscythe hasnt had a lot of sleep lately getting things just this far...

Kakashi04

Nov 13, 2021
I knew you were asking generally/nicely, hence why i didnt come down on you like a tonne of bricks (which is my usual response) :)

In dev threads ETA requests are usually frowned upon, as it pressures devs

@Dollscythe hasnt had a lot of sleep lately getting things just this far...
So sorry , I just found and started using xda from 3 days so I don't know much about , I will surely kind this in mind from now onwards

And I really admire @Dollscythe and all the hardwork he has been putting into this . He is very talented

@Dollscythe

Finally got time to try this tonight

Flashed Vanilla (tried flashing NikGapps full (with config for cherry picking) but got storage error, tried stock failed too...omni worked)
Do you think this would work if I flashed the vanilla build over the current GApps build I'm running? Don't really want to do a full do-over, but if I have to I guess I have to.

sunny1689gupta

May 30, 2016
Google Pixel 2 XL
OnePlus 9 Pro
Excellent work @Dollscythe

Thank you very much for the time spent working on this ROM,

Initially I've tested the November 13 "gApps" release, after trying to install Magisk and discovering the bootloop, I've spent more time testing the "Vanilla" release.

Been able to flash the Vanilla Build using your Flash-All.bat batch file, works flawlessly, right after reboot then flashed TWRP, NikGapps-Full-arm64-12-20211018 (with few error prompts throughout install process but overall essential Play Services apps installed correctly) then finally installed Magisk 23 in order fix SafetyNet check. Very pleased with your ROM so far.

What I've found broken or missing within "Vanilla Build";

- Flip to Shhh feature doesn't seem to work... I may be doing something wrong...
- Screen rotate with Face Recognition isn't a selectable option / doesn't show (Recalled it was there gApps release)
- Unable to add/setup/use any VPN networks within "Network & Internet" Setting menu, section is basically blank.

Very impressed by the stability of the build and I will be currently using my phone as a daily driver... Thank you very much for all the efforts given so we can stretch the life of our 2 XL devices!
So the ROM passed safety net, and now upi and banking apps are running? Pls confirm

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
Not sure if it is a rom issue or not...but I have been trying to get the exclusive pixel 6 features working like assistant voice typing and I installed MagiskHide-Props module and basically have all the Pixel 6 props correctly but the feature is greyed out and I cannot enable it. Also, the google assistant "hey google" feature is not working. It says: "This feature is currently unavailable on this device". Not sure if this is rom relate or not though. If I can get this working I would just continue using the Pixel 2 XL instead of getting the new Pixel 6/Pro. I tried all kind of different GApps and was not able to activate these two features with any of them.

adkamble89

Mar 5, 2015
After repartitioning the phone to 4GB, this flashed successfully and works pretty well! Gonna keep messing around with it and see if I encounter any issues, but so far, it's working really well.

Awesome job!
View attachment 5453077

Android 12 ROM for Pixel 2 XL (Pixel 2 coming soon)​

@Lunarixus on XDA (using his device tree, mentorship, and fixes. Wonderful work) & https://t.me/lunarixus_work on Telegram Posts
@RealOkabe on XDA for his build process, we only reached bootable state thanks to his work.
@ReallySnow on XDA & https://t.me/ReallySnow_ROM on Telegram Posts for his work on Android 12 vendor. I consider him my teacher, and most of the Android 12 heavy lifting was done by him.
None of this would've happened without them.

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.
Screenshots are attached.

i have try this rom and its works pretty well, but calling issue occurred calls keep stopping.

Kakashi04

Nov 13, 2021
Not sure if it is a rom issue or not...but I have been trying to get the exclusive pixel 6 features working like assistant voice typing and I installed MagiskHide-Props module and basically have all the Pixel 6 props correctly but the feature is greyed out and I cannot enable it. Also, the google assistant "hey google" feature is not working. It says: "This feature is currently unavailable on this device". Not sure if this is rom relate or not though. If I can get this working I would just continue using the Pixel 2 XL instead of getting the new Pixel 6/Pro. I tried all kind of different GApps and was not able to activate these two features with any of them.
Bro are you getting sound in call ?

Cydras

Apr 20, 2011
Saarwellingen
Hi,
i have installed the latest version this weekend on my Pixel 2 XL.

Only issue i have found is, that sound output over USB C is not working, i use this in my car.

All other things that i use are working an battery is very good, better than on my old Android 11 ROM :)
Thank you!

Reactions: Redion

Kakashi04

Nov 13, 2021
Hi,
i have installed the latest version this weekend on my Pixel 2 XL.

Only issue i have found is, that sound output over USB C is not working, i use this in my car.

All other things that i use are working an battery is very good, better than on my old Android 11 ROM :)
Thank you!
Is volte working ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, hello everyone. I think y'all deserve an update!

1) the web-installer is open source so it can be implemented again for Pixel 2XL. I however lack motivation to do so as I have some very important exams coming up soon. (sounds like a good summer project however)

2) Thanks to the donations, I bought a new screen!!! It's shipping as we speak. Development will continue :D

3) ProtonAOSP source code is updating at a slow pace and only recently have we gotten new security patches in the new 12.1 update. That's why I hadn't really been making new builds (also @RealOkabe, pretty much the main force behind the project) no longer had access to a server.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

N.B: For those that want gapps + magisk, just flash the vanilla version, flash opengapps, then flash magisk. it's simple.
    OP, did you get enough donations to get a used Pixel 2 XL to replaced the one with broken screen? if not how much more do you need?
    No, if you want magisk, don't install TWRP - the combination doesn't work. Instead run TWRP with fastboot boot.
    That's not correct. Was only with the old versions of TWRP and Magisk.
    TWRP and Magisk are perfectly compatible with Taimen.
    Do I need to root my phone to install this?
    Page 2 has some info on this too, but. No, you do not usually need root for roms, though, you do have to unlock your bootloader, that ones a must.
    1636412254974.png

Android 12 ROM for Pixel 2 XL (Pixel 2 coming soon)​

@Lunarixus on XDA (using his device tree, mentorship, and fixes. Wonderful work) & https://t.me/lunarixus_work on Telegram Posts
    @RealOkabe on XDA for his build process, we only reached bootable state thanks to his work.
    @ReallySnow on XDA & https://t.me/ReallySnow_ROM on Telegram Posts for his work on Android 12 vendor. I consider him my teacher, and most of the Android 12 heavy lifting was done by him.
    None of this would've happened without them.

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.
    Screenshots are attached.

What's not working:
    • Encryption​
    • Magisk causes bootloop only on Gapps build​
    • SELinux is Permissive​
    • You tell me... post logcats using my tool in this thread or you may get support in Telegram: Pixel Development & Pixel 2XL chat
    Download
    • Download the factory image from here: Vanilla Version - Gapps Version
    • This does not include OTAs, so you will have to visit regularly for security updates and the like.
    Installation
    • This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" or using my tool before booting the ROM.
    • Run flash-all.bat if on Windows.
    • Run flash-all.sh if on *nix (if it doesn't work, just flash the images manually.
    Sources
    HOORAY WIFI IS WORKING AGAIN

ALSO ACTIVE EDGE/SQUEEZE

EXPECT BUILD SOON

EDIT: AFTER IM BACK FROM SCHOOL OK? IN 4-HOURS
    Magisk issue fixed. Builds coming soon.
    13 Nov 2021:
    -Fixed battery drain
    -Added setup wizard for Gapps build
    -Added modded Gcam *HOT!!* for Gapps build
    -Added more Google Apps, removed 99% of AOSP crapware for Gapps build
    -Fixed play services contacts sync for Gapps build
    -Added new and refreshed ProtonAOSP boot animation
    -Magisk not supported on Gapped build, will bootloop

11 Nov 2021:
    -Fixed fingerprint.
    -Enabled Active Edge.
    -Fixed wifi functionality.
    -Now both gapps and vanilla builds will fit on a stock system partition.

10 Nov 2021:
    -Fixed gatekeeper.
    -Somehow broke wifi.
    -Added vanilla build (this will flash without requiring a repartition).

09 Nov 2021:
    -Initial build (gapps only, doesnt fit in system partition). Much functionality is broken.

Feel free to give me your hard-earned money, my pixel 2XL's screen is dead, so developing this ROM is a tedious and annoying process: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/guidedflame
    Edit: thanks to the people that have donated. For the sake of transparency, I'm gonna publicise the donations i've received. a pixel 2xl where i live costs 200 dollars. I'm gonna be putting a counter here.

$85.95/200 (42% progress)
    I updated the thread with a new build that should be fully functional. Enjoy!