• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 12 Upgrade Discussion

Search This thread
Current status as of October 21: Data wipe required for permanent root. Patched boot image can be live booted after upgrade for temporary root.

Update 10-29: I have
posted a thread over in the Android Development forum so that developers can hopefully take a look at what might be causing our boot issues. Please don't post there but feel free to check for updates.

Since some of us are running into issues with root after upgrading to Android 12, I'd like to invite everyone to share their results here.

Please be as descriptive as possible, and include at the very least the following information:
* What software you were running before the update
* What method you used to update:
- Automatic OTA
- Manual OTA
- Android Flash Tool
- Manual factory image
* Whether or not you wiped /data or did a factory reset
* Any issues you ran into during the process
* Your current state (bootloop, bootloader error, recovery error, system with or without root)

Hopefully this will help us narrow down on exactly what is causing some of the problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: andybones

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
I have a pixel 5, was running Android 11 with oct. 5 security update.
  1. I flashed the non verizon factory image from the google factory image repository.
  2. then patched my boot image
  3. then tried to flash magisk patched boot
  4. it kept going to bootloader saying error from @V0latyle where the boot image did not match because I didn't disable the flag.
  5. I reflashed the non verizon factory image for pixel 5.
  6. I went through the initial google setup and then adb back into bootloader.
  7. I tried using the disable flags command in the flash-all.bat file from the factory image. It failed and went to recovery and said I had a corrupt system image in recovery mode.
  8. I factory reset and reflashed factory image without flags in the flash-all.bat file
  9. Went through google initial setup
  10. adb back into fastboot.
  11. pushed the disable flag commaned with --slot=all
  12. patched magisk image
  13. booted into A12 with root.
  14. So far root has taken for everything and no issues.

yes i did wipe, i was on protonaosp 11.60 - Pixel 4a5g

So basically I copied 4 files into my platform-tools folder (flash-all.bat, bootloader, image, radio)
Then edited the flash-all.bat a little bit (highlighted blue below) based on your guide

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-bramble-b5-0.4-7617461.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-bramble-g7250-00147-210811-b-7631450.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification -w update image-bramble-sp1a.210812.015.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit

Then
adb reboot bootloader
flash-all

Wait, done. Follow the usual magisk patched setup. So far no issue. Just sharing my experience here.

Reactions: V0latyle
  1. I flashed the non verizon factory image from the google factory image repository.
  4. it kept going to bootloader saying error from @V0latyle where the boot image did not match because I didn't disable the flag.
  7. I tried using the disable flags command in the flash-all.bat file from the factory image. It failed and went to recovery and said I had a corrupt system image in recovery mode.
  8. I factory reset and reflashed factory image without flags in the flash-all.bat file
  12. patched magisk image
To be clear, you initially tried to dirty flash the factory image without a data wipe?

esta0

Oct 20, 2021
Pixel 4a 5G. Was running rooted A11 before the update, never installed any betas.
1. Dirty flashed the non-Verizon OTA image via recovery sideload, didn't wipe anything
2. Patched boot.img from the latest factory image with Magisk, flashed it
3. Got into a bootloop with "Failed to load/verify boot images"
4. Reverted everything by flashing the full factory image (without -w), booted into the system
5. Went back to fastboot, flashed vbmeta.img with --disable- flags but no --slot=all
6. Flashed the patched boot.img again, tried to boot
7. Saw the corrupt system screen, decided not to format data
8. Repeated step 4

So now I have a working system and no root.

Pixel 4a 5G. Was running rooted A11 before the update, never installed any betas.
1. Dirty flashed the non-Verizon OTA image via recovery sideload, didn't wipe anything
2. Patched boot.img from the latest factory image with Magisk, flashed it
3. Got into a bootloop with "Failed to load/verify boot images"
4. Reverted everything by flashing the full factory image (without -w), booted into the system
5. Went back to fastboot, flashed vbmeta.img with --disable- flags but no --slot=all
6. Flashed the patched boot.img again, tried to boot
7. Saw the corrupt system screen, decided not to format data
8. Repeated step 4

So now I have a working system and no root.
Try reflashing vbmeta with the disable flags and --slot=all, then try booting your patched boot image.
sorry I didn't try dirty flashing from A11 to A12... I did a -w on the initial install.
Odd. Sounds like it should have worked the first time. You actually did it right, wiping data when upgrading using the factory image.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Try reflashing vbmeta with the disable flags and --slot=all, then try booting your patched boot image.

Odd. Sounds like it should have worked the first time. You actually did it right, wiping data when upgrading using the factory image.
Yeah, I wonder if my patched image became corrupt or something... transferring boot images from windows to android devices always freak me out. I should do a hash check on them.

In the future I might just download the image directly to my phone extract the boot images for magisk patching... then bringing them over to my windows environment.

killchain

Oct 6, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Pixel 4a 5G, coming from the June/July patch of stock Android 11 (for some reason I did not get the October patch even though I started regularly checking for updates - hoping for A12 - about 10 days ago) - it was rooted and I didn't disable anything (regarding Magisk) in advance.
  1. Dirty flashed A12 OTA through the UI and rebooted - went fine (with the exception that when I hit reboot from settings, phone turned off instead of rebooting; upon turning on again, update went normally, and IIRC Magisk Manager asked by itself to reinstall the app).
  2. I patched boot.img extracted from the latest FI (non-Verizon) and attempted to flash it; flash went fine, but afterwards I got to "failed to load/verify boot images" in fastboot.
  3. As per suggestions from @V0latyle I ran "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" which got me to recovery and a corrupt system state.
  4. Ran "fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" after which I could boot normally and there was no data loss (but no root)
  5. Tried "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta-beta5.img" (where "vbmeta-beta5.img" is vbmeta from Beta 5), IIRC it got me again to "failed to load/verify boot images" again.
  6. Ran step 4 which got me to boot normally.
  7. Sometime at this point I patched boot.img in Magisk again and managed to boot from it ("fastboot boot magisk_patched-xxxxx_yyyyy"), and system booted up with root; from then on tried direct install of Magisk - it went fine, but upon reboot I was back at "failed to load/verify boot images".
  8. Ran 4 again, in addition to that I flashed unmodified boot.img and here I am - running system, no data loss, no root.

I haven't used the --slot flag anywhere, and I think fastboot always reported only touching slot a.

Pixel 4a 5G, coming from the June/July patch of stock Android 11 (for some reason I did not get the October patch even though I started regularly checking for updates - hoping for A12 - about 10 days ago) - it was rooted and I didn't disable anything (regarding Magisk) in advance.
  1. Dirty flashed A12 OTA through the UI and rebooted - went fine (with the exception that when I hit reboot from settings, phone turned off instead of rebooting; upon turning on again, update went normally, and IIRC Magisk Manager asked by itself to reinstall the app).
  2. I patched boot.img extracted from the latest FI (non-Verizon) and attempted to flash it; flash went fine, but afterwards I got to "failed to load/verify boot images" in fastboot.
  3. As per suggestions from @V0latyle I ran "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" which got me to recovery and a corrupt system state.
  4. Ran "fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" after which I could boot normally and there was no data loss (but no root)
  5. Tried "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta-beta5.img" (where "vbmeta-beta5.img" is vbmeta from Beta 5), IIRC it got me again to "failed to load/verify boot images" again.
  6. Ran step 4 which got me to boot normally.
  7. Sometime at this point I patched boot.img in Magisk again and managed to boot from it ("fastboot boot magisk_patched-xxxxx_yyyyy"), and system booted up with root; from then on tried direct install of Magisk - it went fine, but upon reboot I was back at "failed to load/verify boot images".
  8. Ran 4 again, in addition to that I flashed unmodified boot.img and here I am - running system, no data loss, no root.

I haven't used the --slot flag anywhere, and I think fastboot always reported only touching slot a.
Guess what I would recommend you try next? Lol.

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash --slot=all vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot reboot bootloader fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img fastboot reboot

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Guess what I would recommend you try next? Lol.

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash --slot=all vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot reboot bootloader fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img fastboot reboot

You can also try this if that doesn't work..

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash --slot=all vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot reboot bootloader fastboot flash boot --slot=all magisk_patched.img fastboot reboot

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash --slot=all vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot reboot bootloader fastboot flash boot --slot=all magisk_patched.img fastboot reboot
Good point actually, if it's giving us issues with the a/b slots on vbmeta, we should make sure that both /boot slots match too.

Reactions: Spookymyo

pappy97

Dec 5, 2012

Did you do the --slot=all for flashing the magisk patched image in your steps above (your first post where you said you finally got it work)?

killchain

Oct 6, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
What was the idea of the two slots? Wasn't it something dealing with seamless updates? Does it make sense to want to check what's in the other slot and whether it is what's causing trouble?

pappy97

Dec 5, 2012
This is what I am wondering as well, has flashing both boot slots actually fixed a problem for anyone?

Well I tried those steps including flash magisk patched image to both slots, I still had the same issue. Gonna wait to see if others are able to do it successfully with a dirty flash before trying again. Thanks for your help!

Well, it looks like I'm definitely not immune.

Started from 12b5 (clean flash coming from Android 11), rooted.

Took the OTA today, rebooted, no root as expected.

Got home, flashed vbmeta to both slots with boot verification disabled.

Attempted to live boot my patched boot image from the 12 Beta, got boot.img missing cmdline or OS version

Bootlooped twice, got the "data may be corrupt" error in recovery

Reflashed vbmeta to both slots without disable flags, same result.

Dirty flashed factory image via ADB without disable flags, same result.

Dirty flashed factory image via Android Flash Tool without disable flags, same result.

Dirty flashed Beta 5 factory image via ADB, same result.

Tried to reflash vbmeta, vbmeta_system, and boot. Same result.

Now doing a CLEAN flash of the 210812.015 factory image with disable flags set. Booted and going through setup.

Patched boot image. Able to live boot patched image. Performed Magisk "direct install", about to reboot.

It worked! Now rooted on 12 Final, but had to wipe data.

Working on Safetynet now.

So to recap:

Nothing worked until I clean flashed the factory image with verity and verification disabled. I was then able to successfully root, and did not have to reflash anything. Unfortunately, it did require a data wipe.

Last edited:

ZeoFateX

Apr 5, 2011
Google Pixel 5
Can't get my device to pass attestation now. Installed the latest universal fix 2.1.1. There are currently no Android 12 fingerprints for props config. It's failing both basicIntegrity and ctsProfile, does say eval type is basic. Magisk is hidden. gPay and Play Services are 'hidden', cache and storage were cleared. Phone was rebooted. Funnily enough the banking apps work, but gPay does not.

Can't get my device to pass attestation now. Installed the latest universal fix 2.1.1. There are currently no Android 12 fingerprints for props config. It's failing both basicIntegrity and ctsProfile, does say eval type is basic. Magisk is hidden. gPay and Play Services are 'hidden', cache and storage were cleared. Phone was rebooted. Funnily enough the banking apps work, but gPay does not.
Weird. I haven't tried GPay yet but I think I'm passing...

Update: GPay works, I had no trouble adding cards. The only thing I've noticed is the NFC icon has a line through it and it says "Not set up". Not sure why.

Screenshot_20211020-201036.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi ! I'm on A12 november clean install & disable verity & verification Root magisk canary.
    But after flash a mod I loose the root 😔

For Root magisk again I do flash before the original boot image and restart to remove correctly the root.
    But do flash disable verity & verification vmbeta before ?

And after restart install manager flash boot img. And on fastboot flash vmbeta disable verity & verification and flash boot img modified it's right ?
    Thanks
    There is a known issue where Magisk may "disconnect" from root in the kernel due to a signature mismatch; the way to avoid this is to perform "Complete Uninstall" within Magisk itself.

If root is lost because of a module or some other problem, there's no way to really clean up the Magisk installation so that root will work again, unless you perform a factory reset.

You do not have to reflash vbmeta if you're restoring the factory boot image. Vbmeta only needs to be flashed if you are updating.
    Is anybody else getting prompts to update to Android 12 after they've already updated to Android 12?
    During the 11-->12 OTA, I managed to keep root by:
    flash boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
    boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
    flash boot stock_image, reboot (OK, no root)
    boot patched_image, reboot (ok, have root).
    Following these steps with the Nov. OTA, the final step seems to silently fail and boot with the stock image (no root).
    Is this the expected behavior and I'll have to gain root the hard way?
    [ Pixel 5a ]
    Yes. There is currently no way to be able to keep your data AND root after upgrading to Android 12....with the exception of booting the patched image for temporary root.
    12. patched magisk image
    1635805647408.png

We finally figured it out.

Turns out that once dm-verity and vbmeta verification are disabled, you CANNOT let the system boot with them enabled. If /vbmeta gets flashed, such as during an OTA or a factory image, and you let it boot into system, disabling verity/verification is going to require a wipe.

Unfortunately, for those of you upgrading from Android 11, there is simply no way around this - for permanent root, verity/verification must be disabled, and to disable verity/verification, /data must be clean.

I will be updating my guides shortly.
    Gdamn, I really want to run lawnchair but rooting android is such a pain in the butt these days.

Also, I kinda like my gpay - wish I had sideloaded the OTA rather than clean flashed :/

Hopefully you guys can figure something out, watching this thread anxiously
    Current status as of October 21: Data wipe required for permanent root. Patched boot image can be live booted after upgrade for temporary root.

Update 10-29: I have
    posted a thread over in the Android Development forum so that developers can hopefully take a look at what might be causing our boot issues. Please don't post there but feel free to check for updates.

Since some of us are running into issues with root after upgrading to Android 12, I'd like to invite everyone to share their results here.

Please be as descriptive as possible, and include at the very least the following information:
    * What software you were running before the update
    * What method you used to update:
    - Automatic OTA
    - Manual OTA
    - Android Flash Tool
    - Manual factory image
    * Whether or not you wiped /data or did a factory reset
    * Any issues you ran into during the process
    * Your current state (bootloop, bootloader error, recovery error, system with or without root)

Hopefully this will help us narrow down on exactly what is causing some of the problems.
    During the 11-->12 OTA, I managed to keep root by:
    flash boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
    boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
    flash boot stock_image, reboot (OK, no root)
    boot patched_image, reboot (ok, have root).
    Following these steps with the Nov. OTA, the final step seems to silently fail and boot with the stock image (no root).
    Is this the expected behavior and I'll have to gain root the hard way?
    [ Pixel 5a ]
    Yes. There is currently no way to be able to keep your data AND root after upgrading to Android 12....with the exception of booting the patched image for temporary root.