• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Android 12

Search This thread

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
Evidently a newer version of the safety net hardware fix works with 12 - safetynet-fix-v2.0.0-test2.zip

Comment here:

Download here:

Original thread:

I'm still hesitant to do this though. The previous build is what cause the bootloop on my phone, and I couldn't disable it with any of the methods I could find... I could flash the boot.img and get back, but no root. Ended up resetting.
Anyone want to give it a try?

TL;DR - yes, safetynet-fix-v2.0.0-test2 works fine on DP1, at least in my experience.

I'm usually one to wait a while before upgrading to new Android versions (almost always waiting for GravityBox), but luckily I was able to acquire a buddy's used Pixel 3 for testing, and I just updated to Android 12. More exact, I upgraded after fully setting up the system on Android 11 March 2021 firmware level, with Magisk 22.0 and my usual list of modules. Also LSposed with GravityBox [R], which very surprisingly is working at a limited capacity (haven't had time to test much yet, literally just upgraded to 12 DP1).

It went surprisingly smoothly. I patched the Android 12 DP 1 factory boot image with Magisk 22.0 (stable, not canary) and dropped it into the firmware zip and flashed with the flash-all script with -w removed. Booted right up with root, easy peasy, SafetyNet still passing.

So anyway, hope this info helps those trying to get on Android 12 DP 1 with passing SafetyNet.

Be aware this is the Pixel 3 "blueline" that I literally just got today, and not my daily driver Pixel 4 XL. Haven't had much time to test yet, though seems pretty stable as far as I've seen so far. And I would imagine the P4XL would also work with the running list of mods. Currently running:
Magisk v22.0 (stable), modules installed:
- ADB & Fastboot 1.0.41
- Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) 2021.2.25
- Busybox 1.31.1
- Call Recorder SKVALEX 2.1.0 (3.4.4)
- F-Droid Priv Extension 2019-11-23
- MagiskHide Props Config 5.4.0 (no variables set though, I just like having it installed in case I need to modify something later)
- Riru 23.9
- Systemless Hosts
- Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 (test2 zip)
- YouTube Vanced 16.02.35
LSposed 1.2.2, modules installed:
- GravityBox [R] 11.0.2 - I am very surprised it's actually working at limited capacity. I assumed it would just force itself to not load.
- Edge Sense Plus (Active Edge Mod, Xposed module) - short squeeze action worked!! (at least for flashlight toggling)

Ultimately I got the Pixel 3 for a sweet deal, and will use as a backup device in case something happens to me or my wife's phones. It's nice to be able to play around with these DP's now =). But also will be helping out with testing Active Edge Mod and ensuring compatibility with Android 12... given the results of the Xposed module, it seems promising that hopefully there won't be too much to change. It's also expected for only the short squeeze action to work with only the Xposed module being used, as it's been a bit behind since the beginning of this year. We're hoping the Magisk module method won't need too much of a change going from A11 -> A12. =)

Oh, and using the System UI tweaker with GravityBox, I'm still able to change the quick_settings_max_rows value to 4 and quick_settings_min_num_tiles value to 9 to get the 9 tiles quick settings panel back. UNFORTUNATELY, it used to be on Android 11 that, like Tulsadiver's Magisk-flashed mod, it would revert to 6 tiles / 2 rows when the media player controls are active. It seems that as of now, it will always have 9 tiles even when media player controls become active, which can make it feel cluttered. Changing quick_settings_max_rows back to the default value of 3 doesn't work either, as oxymoronic as it may seem, that makes it only show 2 rows all the time regardless of media controls activity.

edit: oh, ok I see. According to the props, ro.build.version.release is still 11, although ro.build.version.codename is now S. I guess it's still significantly treated as Android 11 by various apps and stuff. Makes more sense now! (keep in mind this is my first time messing with a DP, lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: HipKat

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
UNFORTUNATELY, it used to be on Android 11 that, like Tulsadiver's Magisk-flashed mod, it would revert to 6 tiles / 2 rows when the media player controls are active. It seems that as of now, it will always have 9 tiles even when media player controls become active, which can make it feel cluttered. Changing quick_settings_max_rows back to the default value of 3 doesn't work either, as oxymoronic as it may seem, that makes it only show 2 rows all the time regardless of media controls activity.

What of mine did you flash? Just the 9 tiles zip?

The wide "home" button in gestures or the whole navbar?

This should get rid of the navbar.

Just the pill/home button. There's a module that's called fullscreen gestures that does this, but it doubtfully supports 12. Just seeing if anyone came across something.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Just the pill/home button. There's a module that's called fullscreen gestures that does this, but it doubtfully supports 12. Just seeing if anyone came across something.
This might make it invisible but it isn't tested. And it might not work with the other module.

Attachments

• NoHomeHandle.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
What of mine did you flash? Just the 9 tiles zip?

Sorry, the wording of my post was probably sort of unclear. I didn't flash any of your modules for Android 12.

What I was saying is that on Android 11 (of which all of this you're already well aware), whether by using your 9tiles mod, or GravityBox or a System UI Tuning app to tweak those 2 props, the behavior when forcing quicksettings 9 tiles is to show 9 tiles / 3 rows, but then when the media player notification controls become active, only show 6 tiles / 2 rows with the media controls populating as the 3rd row.

With Android 12, I can get the 9 tiles back by tweaking the System UI properties via GravityBox, but I noticed that when the media player notification control becomes active, it doesn't drop down to 6 tiles. Instead, all 9 tiles stay active and the media controls take up the 4th row. TBH, I didn't check to see if you made a 9tiles mod for Android 12 yet, but I'm curious if it would have the same behavior.

Being so early of a DP build, maybe this will change anyway. On my Pixel 4 XL, I probably wouldn't mind much, but it would probably be a bit more annoying on my wife's Pixel 4's smaller screen, or my new test Pixel 3.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Sorry, the wording of my post was probably sort of unclear. I didn't flash any of your modules for Android 12.

What I was saying is that on Android 11 (of which all of this you're already well aware), whether by using your 9tiles mod, or GravityBox or a System UI Tuning app to tweak those 2 props, the behavior when forcing quicksettings 9 tiles is to show 9 tiles / 3 rows, but then when the media player notification controls become active, only show 6 tiles / 2 rows with the media controls populating as the 3rd row.

With Android 12, I can get the 9 tiles back by tweaking the System UI properties via GravityBox, but I noticed that when the media player notification control becomes active, it doesn't drop down to 6 tiles. Instead, all 9 tiles stay active and the media controls take up the 4th row. TBH, I didn't check to see if you made a 9tiles mod for Android 12 yet, but I'm curious if it would have the same behavior.

Being so early of a DP build, maybe this will change anyway. On my Pixel 4 XL, I probably wouldn't mind much, but it would probably be a bit more annoying on my wife's Pixel 4's smaller screen, or my new test Pixel 3.
Android 12 is very similar to 11. I made an entire adb installer for my pixel 3 XL without much modification. I'd be happy to make one for you to try. I don't know if the behavior would be the same or not.

Reactions: i5lee8bit

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
Android 12 is very similar to 11. I made an entire adb installer for my pixel 3 XL without much modification. I'd be happy to make one for you to try. I don't know if the behavior would be the same or not.
Yeah sure, worth trying out, thanks.

Would be cool if we could figure out a way to get it to behave like in 11. But I wouldn't be surprised if we can't. It almost feels like for Android 11, Google debated on having the 9 tiles / 6 tiles + media control row behavior to be intended behavior, but then decided to just restrict us to 2 rows permanently. Almost feels lucky how it currently behaves on Android 11. And thus wouldn't surprise me if they changed something (i.e. removed part of code that allows that behavior) for Android 12.

Sorry bout the rant. I would be happy to test your 9tiles mod for 12 🙂.

SystemUIGoogle.apk for Pixel 3 "blueline" Android 12 DP 1 attached, in case you need it or makes things easier.
edit: I swear I attached it... doesn't seem to show, so I uploaded to AFH instead: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693753115

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Yeah sure, worth trying out, thanks.

Would be cool if we could figure out a way to get it to behave like in 11. But I wouldn't be surprised if we can't. It almost feels like for Android 11, Google debated on having the 9 tiles / 6 tiles + media control row behavior to be intended behavior, but then decided to just restrict us to 2 rows permanently. Almost feels lucky how it currently behaves on Android 11. And thus wouldn't surprise me if they changed something (i.e. removed part of code that allows that behavior) for Android 12.

Sorry bout the rant. I would be happy to test your 9tiles mod for 12 🙂.

SystemUIGoogle.apk for Pixel 3 "blueline" Android 12 DP 1 attached, in case you need it or makes things easier.
edit: I swear I attached it... doesn't seem to show, so I uploaded to AFH instead: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693753115
Can you give me the framework-res.apk as well?

Edit: never mind. I have it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: i5lee8bit

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
Can you give me the framework-res.apk as well?

Edit: never mind. I have it now.

Sorry, just read your posts. Tested it, and thank you.

It works in terms of getting the 9 tiles back, no problems at all. Works as expected, doesn't seem to cause any bugs or anything. But doesn't "replace" the 3rd row with media controls when they become active, like on Android 11. I did make sure to disable other modules (LSposed, thus GravityBox) too, in case you were wondering. For good measure, I tried again with all other modules disabled as well.

Looks like Google made some other changes, darn. I wonder if there's another way to get it to behave like it did before, hmm...

So, what do you guys think about DP2?

It's been more buggy for me. I've have several freezes and had to do soft resets. Recents locks up to sometimes. Also, not a big fan of the even lighter dark mode. It doesn't look too bad in notifications, but settings not so much.

Also, @Tulsadiver your font is great! However, the AOD clock gets the box when there's a reminder present or music playing. Any way to fix?

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
So, what do you guys think about DP2?

It's been more buggy for me. I've have several freezes and had to do soft resets. Recents locks up to sometimes. Also, not a big fan of the even lighter dark mode. It doesn't look too bad in notifications, but settings not so much.

Also, @Tulsadiver your font is great! However, the AOD clock gets the box when there's a reminder present or music playing. Any way to fix?
I'll put my 3XL back on 12 and look. What kind of reminder? If I remember right, my pixel 3 xl didn't show the same problems.

I'll put my 3XL back on 12 and look. What kind of reminder? If I remember right, my pixel 3 xl didn't show the same problems.
On the AOD it'll show like the time to reminder, or time to leave for an event, etc.. I think it just makes the clock smaller and that's what does it? You don't have to flash back to 12 for this, I can wait until you want to flash back again. It's not a biggie.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
On the AOD it'll show like the time to reminder, or time to leave for an event, etc.. I think it just makes the clock smaller and that's what does it? You don't have to flash back to 12 for this, I can wait until you want to flash back again. It's not a biggie.
Try this.

Attachments

• CFI_FontInstallerrosemary.zip
    21.5 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: gettinwicked

Top Liked Posts