Question Android 12L Beta Opt-in now available

Search This thread

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
I finally opted out of the 12L Beta.

A warning for those who may also go back to the stable version, it wipes your device clean, and it needs to be set up again as a new device.

The battery life of the 12L was very poor for me. Neither AccuBattery nor the system's battery identified "rogue" apps as some here suggested.

It is definitely the Mobile Network. Mobile Network drains between 35% and 80% every hour, and this was before and after I reset the network and forced network reactivation.

My feeling is that a lot of those who claim great battery life have disabled 5G. In my opinion, the phone should be expected to work on 5G, as advertized. I understand that 12L is a beta, but the fact is, it's not well optimized, at least not yet, for 5G.

I am back on the stable version, after spending a couple of hours setting up the phone again, and my battery is back to normal, which is not nearly as good as iPhone 13 Pro Max, but at least gets me through the day.

This is just to warn those who might be tempted to try the 12L beta, and care about 5G.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
This is correct. But since it's a beta build, the official release page encourages a full wipe as they mean to test stability with the changes being made.

The shift between 12 and 12.1 or 12L seems interesting. I could upgrade to it without a full wipe, however, I had experienced an odd battery issue as well. I then caused another issue (that I had commented on at first as I didn't realize that I had caused the issue lol) that required me to wipe and reinstall everything. But I discovered that my phone performed much better and my battery life was insanely good after the full wipe and reinstallation of 12L. So, perhaps with the changes being made, a full wipe might be necessary to have everything properly function on the beta build (but this is just a guess).

So, for @MacGuy2006 , of course I'm not sure what your exact circumstances are with your 12L usage and your phone's prior update history, however, it seems that a full wipe before the 12L flash might resolve your battery issue; as that is what has resolved mine.

Also, just another side note here with Vanced receiving that update to work again; it seems that the root version uses more battery than the non-root version for some reason... I'm not sure why, however, it might have something to do with the root version *constantly* getting overwritten by the official Play Store version of YT now–even more frequently than it was before. With the non-root version, you can just disable the stock YT app and don't run into that problem. Of course, I may be missing out on a newer method of removing YT's attachment to the Play Store, as doing it through Titanium Backup doesn't seem to work.

I just thought I'd throw my two cents in =)

Last edited:
I should have come here first before opting in only 5 minutes ago, lol. In either scenario, performing a wipe is probably the best way to go. I have not done that yet with this phone and I experience fair battery performance versus maybe better battery performance. I'm just not in a place to want to set up my phone manually all over again! It literally took me a month, because I chose smart launcher to use, and they had a chaotic version upgrade issue on Play Store which affected many premium users, so I 'noped' right out of using that, and over to Nova Premium.

Before I go ahead and opt out of the 12L beta, is there any sort of process where I could essentially back up/image my phone completely as-is to a Windows PC, instead of having to rebuild it from scratch?

An answer to my question would be invaluable in either scenario; if I bite the bullet and check out 12L or even build up enough patience to wipe my phone and just rebuild it on the stock OS just to see if I recoup some battery performance? As always, I appreciate everyone here and their time sent in our wonderful forum! 💗

Last edited:
Reactions: jcp2 and Jiggs82

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
Before I go ahead and opt out of the 12L beta, is there any sort of process where I could essentially back up/image my phone completely as-is to a Windows PC, instead of having to rebuild it from scratch?
Do you happen to have root/are you knowledgeable of getting root access on your phone?

The reason I ask is because when I used to wipe my phone prior to every update, I would just make an app backup using the Play Store app called "Titanium Backup". It allowed you to backup your apps and their data, however, it only worked if you had rooted your phone (otherwise the folders containing the data couldn't be fetched). Now, I'm not entirely sure if this method still works (as I haven't tried it recently); but if it does, then I suppose it would be a good method for backing up your apps and their data prior to doing a full wipe on your phone for a full re-flash/update. If you choose this or another similar method, you would just have to make sure to move the backup files onto your PC before wiping your phone. Then, once the phone is wiped and the update is pushed through, you would just have to reinstall the Titanium Backup app; move your backup files back over to your phone (which would have to be rooted again); and then restore your apps and collected app data by loading up your backup file in Titanium Backup.

Also, just be aware that a full wipe might be required once 12L hits its official release (which is probably going to be within the next 2-3 weeks as the March update)... So you might not wanna bother wiping your phone just yet. But on the bright side, you can spend that chunk of extra time finding a way to ensure an app and app data backup before wiping and updating =).

Last edited:
Do you happen to have root/are you knowledgeable of getting root access on your phone?

The reason I ask is because when I used to wipe my phone prior to every update, I would just make an app backup using the Play Store app called "Titanium Backup". It allowed you to backup your apps and their data, however, it only worked if you had rooted your phone (otherwise the folders containing the data couldn't be fetched). Now, I'm not entirely sure if this method still works (as I haven't tried it recently); but if it does, then I suppose it would be a good method for backing up your apps and their data before doing a full wipe on your phone before a full re-flash/update. If you chose this method, you would just have to make sure to move the backup files onto your PC before wiping your phone.

*Edit* - are you a well known person here on xda? Am I missing something lol
Hi NippleSauce,
Yeah, I've been here a minute, lol. But I've been away from rooting devices since my LG G6, although I try to stay up with the technology. My new P6P is Verizon and it's locked, unfortunately. I used to use Titanium Backup back in the day, but I was hoping by now there would be maybe a Windows or MacOS application that could do just that; especially now that Windows 11 can accommodate Android apps. I guess not. 😔 But thank you for reaching out and trying to help me. It was my fault that I didn't leave enough information for anyone to properly assess what I was looking for. Take care!

Reactions: jcp2

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
Hi NippleSauce,
Yeah, I've been here a minute, lol. But I've been away from rooting devices since my LG G6, although I try to stay up with the technology. My new P6P is Verizon and it's locked, unfortunately. I used to use Titanium Backup back in the day, but I was hoping by now there would be maybe a Windows or MacOS application that could do just that; especially now that Windows 11 can accommodate Android apps. I guess not. 😔 But thank you for reaching out and trying to help me. It was my fault that I didn't leave enough information for anyone to properly assess what I was looking for. Take care!
Ah, gotcha. No worries. Welp, since I mentioned not using Titanium Backup for a while, I happened to Google other backup methods (as I kinda wanna start doing full wipes before every update now since my performance and battery life has gone up by quite a lot since doing so). Anyway, supposedly you can do it over adb without root lol. I had no idea about this.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but I quickly stumbled across this quick 9to5google article on taking data backups without root. Might be worth trying. Since it's over adb, I imagine it should work across different Android builds. I'll probably give it a shot once the March update officially drops.

Last edited:
I quickly stumbled across this quick 9to5google article on taking data backups without root. Might be worth trying. Since it's over adb, I imagine it should work across different Android builds. I'll probably give it a shot once the March update officially drops.
This is wonderful, thank you so much! I'll read it tonight and delve deeper into it tomorrow on my break at work. It's funny, people used to ask me what is the first app I install on a Windows device, and I would tell them ADB! ☺️

Reactions: NippleSauce

Top Liked Posts