General Android 13.0 released Aug 15th, available for download now.

Search This thread

hawkwind

Nov 8, 2010
Cumbria
I had the android 13 is available so left it to download and install overnight.
When I got up though nothing had happened and only the 2.02 GB android 12 was available.
Anyway I installed it and then checked for updates and Android 13 was available to update and it installed ok this time.

Steve53

Mar 11, 2015
Foxborough
Google Pixel 6
Success, by way of a counterintuitive path.
Using the same laptop and Google USB cable (A to C), but plugging the cable into a USB C to A hub connected to a USB C port on the laptop, the ADB sideload worked perfectly. One would think that a direct connection from the laptop to the phone would be the path to follow, but I had no success with directly connecting to either a USB A or USB C port on the laptop, adding the hub made all the difference.

Nidstang

May 15, 2014
Google Pixel 6
Can anyone comment on how A13 is? Any major issues?

I sideloaded it on my P6 yesterday, so have been running it for a bit less than a day. It is rock freaking solid so far.

Note that I wasn't one of the people having problems with 12, but nonetheless 13 seems noticeably smoother and faster. I understand that when people read that their first thought (understandably) is "placebo" but I really think it is smoother.

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
Success, by way of a counterintuitive path.
Using the same laptop and Google USB cable (A to C), but plugging the cable into a USB C to A hub connected to a USB C port on the laptop, the ADB sideload worked perfectly. One would think that a direct connection from the laptop to the phone would be the path to follow, but I had no success with directly connecting to either a USB A or USB C port on the laptop, adding the hub made all the difference.
Does the hub have its own power supply?

refedit

Oct 18, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Yep, latest version of platform tools. Have tried 2 different cables (one of which is the one that came with the phone). Will check for driver updates, but have used this same PC to perform previous updates on my Pixel 6.
In my case, everytime I try to update through magisk, I end up with rebooting into splash screen. I always need to flash boot.img through Linux PC/Laptop

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
For those getting a 2.02 GB Android 12 update instead of the A13 update, here's why...

"Google says that some phones were running an older release of the software. Those phones actually needed a smaller Android 12 update, before they can update to Android 13. The company added that Android 13 will be rolling out over the coming weeks. So, you may not get it straight away on your Pixel phone."

CSX321

Aug 21, 2009
Southern IL USA
Just in case this helps answer anyone's questions, here was my experience updating my Pixel 6.

I was running the Android 12 July 2022 security patch, rooted with Magisk 25201, app hidden, Zygisk enabled, and DenyList enforced. Modules in use are Systemless Hosts, USNF-Mod 2.3.1, and one called "OnePlus Oxygen OS 11 - Two-Button Navigation (Standard Height)" that, of course, restores two-button navigation. Everything was working fine, device certified, tap-to-pay working, etc. I didn't restore the app or disable any modules before updating.

I followed the same update process I always use. I downloaded the full factory image and extracted boot.img from image-oriole-___.zip, transferred it to my phone, and patched it with Magisk. Then I transferred the patched file back to my computer, renamed it to boot.img, and put it back into image-oriole-___.zip. I removed -w from the flash-all.bat file, rebooted the phone to bootloader, and ran the batch file. Android 13 was installed, and the phone rebooted.

From what I had read, I was expecting it to take a couple of hours or more optimizing apps. But I was pleasantly surprised when it simply booted up normally after about 30 seconds. Everything looks perfect, Android 13 is installed, Magisk still functioning as expected, and I almost can't believe how smoothly it went.

The only weird thing I encountered at all was that during the flashing process there was a new message I hadn't seen before: "invalid sparse file format at header magic". I didn't find much online about what that means, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm. The flashing still completed successfully and everything seems normal. I'm using the latest platform tools (33.0.2), so it shouldn't be that.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
... and put it back into image-oriole-___.zip. I removed -w from the flash-all.bat file, rebooted the phone to bootloader, and ran the batch file. Android 13 was installed, and the phone rebooted.

If you add "--skip-reboot" in place of the "-w", you can skip repacking the zip file and then just run "fastboot flash boot magisk....img" after the script returns.

Reactions: CSX321

CSX321

Aug 21, 2009
Southern IL USA
If you add "--skip-reboot" in place of the "-w", you can skip repacking the zip file and then just run "fastboot flash boot magisk....img" after the script returns.
But that means twice as many writes to the firmware memory cells!
j/k That's a perfectly good way to do it, especially if you're only using the command line. Since I already have the image zip open in a 7zip window from when I extracted boot.img, it's actually 0.01% easier in my case to rename and drag the patched one back there, saving me 50 or so total keystrokes. :)

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
Just in case this helps answer anyone's questions, here was my experience updating my Pixel 6.

I was running the Android 12 July 2022 security patch, rooted with Magisk 25201, app hidden, Zygisk enabled, and DenyList enforced. Modules in use are Systemless Hosts, USNF-Mod 2.3.1, and one called "OnePlus Oxygen OS 11 - Two-Button Navigation (Standard Height)" that, of course, restores two-button navigation. Everything was working fine, device certified, tap-to-pay working, etc. I didn't restore the app or disable any modules before updating.

I followed the same update process I always use. I downloaded the full factory image and extracted boot.img from image-oriole-___.zip, transferred it to my phone, and patched it with Magisk. Then I transferred the patched file back to my computer, renamed it to boot.img, and put it back into image-oriole-___.zip. I removed -w from the flash-all.bat file, rebooted the phone to bootloader, and ran the batch file. Android 13 was installed, and the phone rebooted.

From what I had read, I was expecting it to take a couple of hours or more optimizing apps. But I was pleasantly surprised when it simply booted up normally after about 30 seconds. Everything looks perfect, Android 13 is installed, Magisk still functioning as expected, and I almost can't believe how smoothly it went.

The only weird thing I encountered at all was that during the flashing process there was a new message I hadn't seen before: "invalid sparse file format at header magic". I didn't find much online about what that means, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm. The flashing still completed successfully and everything seems normal. I'm using the latest platform tools (33.0.2), so it shouldn't be that.
Also a fan of this method. But I couldn't successfully repack the image zip (it says fail to extract my patched boot.img), so I had to flash patched boot separately. BTW I forgot to add --skip-reboot but as a remedy I immediately held volume down button when I saw the command prompt showed the flash finished XD

bb709394

Mar 16, 2012
Update to Android 13 went off without a hitch -- wallet working, able to root, etc. Battery life is much better!

Anti-roll back in full effect. For those that care, Android 13 breaks the rooted version of Vanced YouTube. Android 13 uses a newer version of YouTube and will not permit downgrades. Use adb to remove system apps if necessary.

Installing the non-root version of Vanced to get around the downgrade issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Be aware:
    1660583788142.png
    root real android 13 yet?
    Magisk 25.2 works fine.

There is face unlock in this device now?

Cause this is what i see in the changelog:
    • Fix for issue preventing face unlock to trigger in certain conditions *[3]
    Edit: My bad, this is for pixel 4 devices
    Are major apps working fine on A13?
    So far I have only one app that I found not working. It's a specific purpose calendar app, but it has 1M+ downloads.