Question Android 13: APKs not from PlayStore now crashes at the opening

Search This thread

salamala893

Apr 23, 2015
Hi
I was on Android 12 and signed in to the beta program 10 days ago.
I've noticed that APKs that were fine on Android 12 are not working anymore on Android 13 Beta.
APKs are crashing at opening.

I thought that may have been an issue related to the beta version of Android but couple of days ago Android 13 stable rolled out (I've signed out from the beta) but those apps are still not working.

I've found older APKs for a couple of apps and one works and one not.
How can I solve this without a factory reset?

Thank you in advance

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
What are the apps that are crashing? What does a logcat show when the app crashes?

Google introduced restrictions in A13 for side loaded apps. No longer can they use accessibility apis nor can they access notifications etc. Just speculation but if the apps you are using are old they may be crashing because of these changes.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
What are the apps that are crashing? What does a logcat show when the app crashes?

Google introduced restrictions in A13 for side loaded apps. No longer can they use accessibility apis nor can they access notifications etc. Just speculation but if the apps you are using are old they may be crashing because of these changes.
You can bypass those restrictions by going to the app info page of the app and clicking on the 3 dot menu in top right corner.

Jeff_N

Apr 4, 2022
Hi, i have the same Problem with every sideloaded App.
There are no 3 dots in the right Corner.

I don't know exactly how to bypass Them

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Hi, i have the same Problem with every sideloaded App.
There are no 3 dots in the right Corner.

I don't know exactly how to bypass Them
Do those apps need Accessibility and/or Notification Access permissions? If not, then I don't think the 3 dot menu needs to be there as it is only for those specific permissions (or whatever other permissions Google might add to the list in the future).

For example, I have Adaway installed but it doesn't have the 3 dot menu because it doesn't need either of those permissions. The same for App Manager.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

kylechen

Feb 13, 2009
I am really confused with this new "session-based install" security.

What are "session-based install" and "non-session-based install"

Play store app install --------- surly "session-based install" 100%.

3rd-party store install --------- is said also to be "session-based install".

Firefox download an apk --------- is said to be "non-session-based install",
But how the firefox different from a 3rd-party store????? a system white list something?

safetynet, selinux, forcing many settings, anti-rollback, non-store app restrictions.........

I enjoyed so much that google throws sht tons of troubles to billions of advanced users, to fight an enemy that may not even exist.
(how many people have their phone bootloader secretly unlocked remotely by a hacker and installed root malware, unknowingly?)

Gives a warning is good eg. bootloader locked warning is great IMO. But force the hands and keep finding ways to screw the advanced users as hard as they can, to get the "everything is under my control" status is the wrong path.

I read the news that malware devs have already found a way to bypass this restriction.
In the end, like many others, It achieved nothing, except giving trouble to advanced users and devs.

A global bypass must be also on the way, especially from China. Millions like 90% of APPs are not store-based in China since the google ban, and people are used to download apk from every companies' websites as we do on Windows PC.

daze007

May 30, 2020
Same here. Almost every app not from Play Store keeps closing right on tap to start them.
Tried to sideload them per USB with full rights. Same.

Reactions: salamala893

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
Thought it was me...this is bs!

What's the next step...start posting logs I assume?

It's not EVERY sideload for me but about 1 in 3 I'd say.

btw...I got an 'install failed' trying to install/flash the viper4android mod not realizing how old it was...now I'm seeing lotsa audio/sound related crap in logcat reader. If I AM 'currupt' somehow, will just a rom re-flash fix a magisk issue or do I need a full wipe?
Tia for any guidance offered! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: salamala893

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Me too but looks like is some security thing from Android 13. I really hope that somebody finds a workaround soon or I'll have to switch back to 12
12 won't work right on the 13 bootloader, and you can't downgrade the bootloader.

When I initially tested flashing only the 13 bootloader on my Pixel 6 Pro, while still running Android 12, it booted fine, I unlocked the phone, and all looked normal. But I didn't launch apps, especially Chrome, YouTube, and plenty of other things. If I had, I would have noticed problems that others have had since then. It was since found that certain/many kinds of apps will not work right running on Android 12 when you have the 13 bootloader installed.

I know this above is not what this thread is discussing, but since you mentioned it, I just wanted to point out that if you're on any Pixel 6/Pro/a with Android 13's bootloader flashed, you won't be able to use stock Android 12 on it. You'll be able to flash everything but the bootloader, boot it up, and unlock it, but before long you would discover problems that you wouldn't be able to work around and would effectively make your phone unuseable for many things that we take for granted.

By the way, hopefully you have the 13 bootloader flashed to both slots. Having the 13 bootloader on only one slot is a little dangerous.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot --slot all flash bootloader bootloader.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi
    I was on Android 12 and signed in to the beta program 10 days ago.
    I've noticed that APKs that were fine on Android 12 are not working anymore on Android 13 Beta.
    APKs are crashing at opening.

I thought that may have been an issue related to the beta version of Android but couple of days ago Android 13 stable rolled out (I've signed out from the beta) but those apps are still not working.

I've found older APKs for a couple of apps and one works and one not.
    How can I solve this without a factory reset?

Thank you in advance
    All the apps I install that aren't in the Play Store like AccA and the apps that go with things like AOSP Mods work fine for me. The copy of Better Internet Tiles which I installed from the APK on GitHub instead of the one in the Play Store, also works fine. Kernel Flasher from GitHub is also working fine. Fox's Mmm (Magisk Module Manager) and F-Droid also fine.

I wonder what particular aspects of the apps having trouble cause them not to work correctly.

You can bypass those restrictions by going to the app info page of the app and clicking on the 3 dot menu in top right corner.
    I don't have any issues with manually installed apks...
    Me too but looks like is some security thing from Android 13. I really hope that somebody finds a workaround soon or I'll have to switch back to 12
    12 won't work right on the 13 bootloader, and you can't downgrade the bootloader.

When I initially tested flashing only the 13 bootloader on my Pixel 6 Pro, while still running Android 12, it booted fine, I unlocked the phone, and all looked normal. But I didn't launch apps, especially Chrome, YouTube, and plenty of other things. If I had, I would have noticed problems that others have had since then. It was since found that certain/many kinds of apps will not work right running on Android 12 when you have the 13 bootloader installed.

I know this above is not what this thread is discussing, but since you mentioned it, I just wanted to point out that if you're on any Pixel 6/Pro/a with Android 13's bootloader flashed, you won't be able to use stock Android 12 on it. You'll be able to flash everything but the bootloader, boot it up, and unlock it, but before long you would discover problems that you wouldn't be able to work around and would effectively make your phone unuseable for many things that we take for granted.

By the way, hopefully you have the 13 bootloader flashed to both slots. Having the 13 bootloader on only one slot is a little dangerous.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot --slot all flash bootloader bootloader.img