Question Android 13: APKs not from PlayStore now crashes at the opening

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
All the apps I install that aren't in the Play Store like AccA and the apps that go with things like AOSP Mods work fine for me. The copy of Better Internet Tiles which I installed from the APK on GitHub instead of the one in the Play Store, also works fine. Kernel Flasher from GitHub is also working fine. Fox's Mmm (Magisk Module Manager) and F-Droid also fine.

I wonder what particular aspects of the apps having trouble cause them not to work correctly.

NIK3SH

Apr 12, 2012
Guys,
Anyone got solution for this?
I am facing similar issue with my Google P6P after latest stable Android 13 update.
My all modded apps like adguard, ES File Explorer, Stellio are crashing.
Genuine apps with same version are working but not modded once even after reinstalling them.

Is there any workaround to get them functional back?

Thebear j koss

Guys,
I am facing similar issue with my Google P6P after latest stable Android 13 update.
Genuine apps with same version are working but not modded once even after reinstalling them.

Use apps that are not from warez sites or so called modded. Only install from original source.

NIK3SH

Apr 12, 2012
Use apps that are not from warez sites or so called modded. Only install from original source.
Yes I am aware about it hence precisely mentioned as "modded" in my initial comment.

But I am looking for an option to use modded app with any configuration change in Android or something like allowing app individually (as someone updated by clicking three dots advanced menu, which is not available for me though)

Reactions: salamala893

hydros85

Jul 13, 2014
I also have the same thing that the modded application does not open for me adguard, but I downloaded an earlier version also modded and it works, also try

NIK3SH

Apr 12, 2012
I also have the same thing that the modded application does not open for me adguard, but I downloaded an earlier version also modded and it works, also try
Yes I managed to run 3.6.46 for adguard but for other apps like ES File & Stellio it's not at all working with any version.

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
Need to post the logcat log file of try to run app so some here tell whats happening. But ES is not a good one to post cuz it's banned...pick something else and post the log. I can't atm...my phone went back to google to get the ARB e-fuse reset. 😣

Reactions: salamala893

salamala893

Apr 23, 2015
Yes I am aware about it hence precisely mentioned as "modded" in my initial comment.

But I am looking for an option to use modded app with any configuration change in Android or something like allowing app individually (as someone updated by clicking three dots advanced menu, which is not available for me though)
Not available for me neither

Thebear j koss

This issue is weird: some sideloaded APKs work just fine but some just FC whenever I try to open the app. Seems pretty random for some reason!

It would be nice if someone could find the actual reason for this. Is this really a security thing?
This is the reason...
markup_1000000418.png

benignodesigns

Aug 28, 2022
Berlin
sites.google.com
Hi
Ich war auf Android 12 und habe mich vor 10 Tagen beim Betaprogramm angemeldet.
Mir ist aufgefallen, dass APKs, die auf Android 12 in Ordnung waren, auf Android 13 Beta nicht mehr funktionieren.
APKs stürzen beim Öffnen ab.

Ich dachte, das könnte ein Problem im Zusammenhang mit der Beta-Version von Android gewesen sein, aber vor ein paar Tagen wurde Android 13 stabil eingeführt (ich habe mich von der Beta abgemeldet), aber diese Apps funktionieren immer noch nicht.

Ich habe ältere APKs für ein paar Apps gefunden und eine funktioniert und eine nicht.
Wie kann ich das ohne Werksreset lösen?

Danke im Voraus
Hey,
I'm so relieved now that it's not just me.
I have the official Android 13 release on my Pixel 5.
It's so exhausting.

I have a lot of external APKs.
Immediately after the restart, about 6 popups open one after the other telling me "App X is not responding". And other apps, about 10 of which I know of so far, won't start at all (e.g. "Malwarebytes", "AdGuard VPN" & "Audiomack").
Nothing, no reaction, they don't even try.

When I open an app from the app store, the typical "App not responding" popup sometimes comes up, I press "wait" and it comes back after about 5 seconds. It doesn't stop and keeps looping until I press "quit immediately".

I'll leave the APK's on for now and see what the next updates bring, but it's really annoying.

Best regards.

Last edited:

benignodesigns

Aug 28, 2022
Berlin
sites.google.com
Yeah
Guys,

Yeah exactly, most of my APKs are modded ones too.
But AdGuard is working, AdGuard VPN is not :/

Maybe it's for safety reasons. Maybe Google won't allow us to install modded apps from now on, and who knows if we can install normal APKs in the future?
...or you will have to allow that in the developer settings?

Could it be possible that Google will go the same way as Apple? One App Store for all? 🤔🙇🏻‍♂️
They made some optical differences in the Play Store for Android 13, maybe they did more than we know so far...

I'm looking forward to the next Update.

Best regards.

NIK3SH

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah

Yeah exactly, most of my APKs are modded ones too.
But AdGuard is working, AdGuard VPN is not :/

Maybe it's for safety reasons. Maybe Google won't allow us to install modded apps from now on, and who knows if we can install normal APKs in the future?
...or you will have to allow that in the developer settings?

Could it be possible that Google will go the same way as Apple? One App Store for all? 🤔🙇🏻‍♂️
They made some optical differences in the Play Store for Android 13, maybe they did more than we know so far...

I'm looking forward to the next Update.

Best regards.
I sincerely doubt that Google will stop sideloading of apps in Android like Apple as it's one of the main beauty & usage freedom of Android.
In my understanding, I believe they have blocked few public signatures with which these modded apps were being resigned. So few of them fall in to it and few not.
Hopefully app moder will make their way out of this as well in nearby time...

FoxhoundUnit

May 24, 2019
Just flashed a stable LineageOS 20 for my P6P. With hope that a custom rom would fix it. But no luck. (Many) modded apps won't start

deepblue2000

Apr 8, 2016
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow
good I found this post..

had the same problem with most of my apps since A13...

some apps are working others not... I found now an app which is working, where other modded versions are not working,
and I noticed its always the same "modder" from who the apps are working on A13. So the apps need be correct modded, to be working with A13

edit: seems to be, that all modders which are using A13 too, the apps are working.

Last edited:

dedq

May 14, 2015
Belgrade
Same problem here. AdGuard crashing or not able to create VPN.
All sideloaded application and modded ones crashing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi
    I was on Android 12 and signed in to the beta program 10 days ago.
    I've noticed that APKs that were fine on Android 12 are not working anymore on Android 13 Beta.
    APKs are crashing at opening.

I thought that may have been an issue related to the beta version of Android but couple of days ago Android 13 stable rolled out (I've signed out from the beta) but those apps are still not working.

I've found older APKs for a couple of apps and one works and one not.
    How can I solve this without a factory reset?

Thank you in advance
    All the apps I install that aren't in the Play Store like AccA and the apps that go with things like AOSP Mods work fine for me. The copy of Better Internet Tiles which I installed from the APK on GitHub instead of the one in the Play Store, also works fine. Kernel Flasher from GitHub is also working fine. Fox's Mmm (Magisk Module Manager) and F-Droid also fine.

I wonder what particular aspects of the apps having trouble cause them not to work correctly.
    I don't have any issues with manually installed apks...
    Guys,

What are the apps that are crashing? What does a logcat show when the app crashes?

Google introduced restrictions in A13 for side loaded apps. No longer can they use accessibility apis nor can they access notifications etc. Just speculation but if the apps you are using are old they may be crashing because of these changes.
    You can bypass those restrictions by going to the app info page of the app and clicking on the 3 dot menu in top right corner.