How To Guide April 2, 2024 AP1A.240405.002 Global - Root Pixel 6 Pro [Raven]

Search This thread

stalls

Need a little assistance.

I updgraded to Android 13 from rooted 12. I rooted 13 with no issues. Check root status and it was good. Started testing magisk modules and eveything was looking good. But it wouldn't retain root after a restart. So I thought I needed to disable AVB and DM verity. So I executed the standard command "fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img". Then re flashed the magisk patched img. When the phone restarted I got a message saying the software was corrupt. It gave me either try again or factory reset. I clicked try again and was going to do a button combo to get back into the bootloader to reOTA to a clean boot image.

Problem is that now the phone will not power on. None of the buttons even work. No matter what button combo I try the phone will not power back on. It was fully charged. I tried seeing if the computer would recognize it by adb/fastboot devices and it wasn't recognized.

Have I truly hard bricked my phone?
Did you forget to direct install magisk? I would reflash with android flash tool and start all over without wipe if you want to save your data.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Namelesswonder

Jan 26, 2014
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Finally updated the OP with:
How to flash both slots using the full factory image BOTH SLOTS at the same time

It's either/or, you can do one slot at a time or both slots. There's nothing wrong with either way. You *may* be safer at least flashing the bootloader to both slots at the same time, at least. I did one slot at a time with no problems. The first slot Monday, then the second slot Tuesday.
Updated the steps in my post to make it a lot clearer, 2 steps if you're already on Android 13, 4 steps if you are still on Android 12, and 4.5 steps if using Magisk.

Spookymyo

Try holding the power and volume down button for a long time, like at least a minute or 2. Hopefully during all this your phone did revert to the other slot which I assume still has A12 on it? Also, what happens when you connect phone to computer?
When I connect to my laptop (windows 11 pro insider) it makes a connection sound. The only place I see the phone is in the Devices and Printers section of control panel. Thing is, it shows as USB Root Hub (3.0). When I unplug the phone that disappears. I'm confused.

Edit: I held the buttons down over 2 minutes. I did just the power button, power + vol up, power + vol down, and power + vol up & down. I did it while attached to the computer too. After about a minute the computer made the disconnect reconnect sound on all the combos. But the screen never came on.

Edit 2: Could EDL mode work? If so what's the best tool for it?

Last edited:
  • Wow

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
When I connect to my laptop (windows 11 pro insider) it makes a connection sound. The only place I see the phone is in the Devices and Printers section of control panel. Thing is, it shows as USB Root Hub (3.0). When I unplug the phone that disappears. I'm confused.
Well, that's a good sign that at least your computer recognizes it. Still won't power on? Or display just won't come on? Did you hold those buttons down for a long time? What happens if you plug it into a charger?

Maybe if your computer recognizes it, Android Flash Tool will as well.

sas46

Nov 26, 2013
Florence
I'm willing to flash from the latest SQ3A.220705.001.B2, Jul 2022, EMEA to A13 TP1A.220624.021, Aug 2022

Can I do it or I have to wait the EMEA version?

Also I'm rooted, the best way is still to patch the boot image, boot it and then directly flash it from magisk?

Spookymyo

Well, that's a good sign that at least your computer recognizes it. Still won't power on? Or display just won't come on? Did you hold those buttons down for a long time? What happens if you plug it into a charger?

Maybe if your computer recognizes it, Android Flash Tool will as well.
It recognizes it like I've seen mentioned in EDL articles. It doesn't recognize it as a phone. I've tried the flash tool and it doesn't work. I was just checking EDL instructions and looks like it only works on Qualcomm devices. The P6P is tensor, so I don't know if it'll be possible.

• Wow

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
It recognizes it like I've seen mentioned in EDL articles. It doesn't recognize it as a phone. I've tried the flash tool and it doesn't work. I was just checking EDL instructions and looks like it only works on Qualcomm devices. The P6P is tensor, so I don't know if it'll be possible.
Yeah, you won't be able to use the Qualcomm EDL on Tensor. I'm still curious if you tried to hold the power and volume down buttons for a long time. You haven't mentioned if you tried that yet or not.

Also, do you have these drivers installed? If not, wondering if it will make a difference in how your computer sees your phone.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Anyone had a problem with patched magisk not adding zygisk? I used factory patching, ala unzip and run flash-all and also pixel flasher. Whatever reasons magisk 25201 doesnt seem to add zygisk for me so I cant do safetynet etc.
No problems here. Magisk (Stable v25.2, which is the same as Canary 25201) and SafetyNet working great. You've got Zygisk enabled in Magisk's settings?
1660766655887.png

I'm willing to flash from the latest SQ3A.220705.001.B2, Jul 2022, EMEA to A13 TP1A.220624.021, Aug 2022

Can I do it or I have to wait the EMEA version?
Yes, you can do it. There's no knowledge or evidence that there will be split versions for different areas of carriers with this release. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but you can always change to a different build later if one appears. The "Global" one which is out works for everyone.

Also I'm rooted, the best way is still to patch the boot image, boot it and then directly flash it from magisk?
"Best" is subjective, so up to personal preference. If you're asking if it works with Android 13 Stable's kernel (boot.img), yes it does.

sas46

Nov 26, 2013
Florence
No problems here. Magisk (Stable v25.2, which is the same as Canary 25201) and SafetyNet working great.

Yes, you can do it. There's no knowledge or evidence that there will be split versions for different areas of carriers with this release. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but you can always change to a different build later if one appears. The "Global" one which is out works for everyone.

"Best" is subjective, so up to personal preference. If you're asking if it works with Android 13 Stable's kernel (boot.img), yes it does.
You answers are crystal clear, I'll let you know if this goes alright then :ROFLMAO:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You answers are crystal clear, I'll let you know if this goes alright then :ROFLMAO:
Awesome! Good luck.

Thanks for the update. Tho i wonder if the factory reset is part of the problem. Forgot to edit the flash-all bat prior. bleh
You're welcome. I doubt it - a factory reset shouldn't cause that issue.

Did you see my question about if you have Zygisk enabled in Magisk's settings?

Since I'm reading stuff about this, a note when I first updated to Android 13, when the other slot still had Android 12 the phone REFUSED to stay on the Android 12 slot after "fastboot reboot-bootloader".
To describe it better, slot A was 12, slot B was 13, I was unable to reflash 12 bootloader on slot A even though slot A still had the 12 bootloader. Only after flashing 13 bootloader on slot A could I switch the slot to A and B freely.
A big part of experimentation before flashing 13 to both slots was to see if having the phone on 12 allowed the bootloader to be downgraded, short answer no. So if 13 bootloader is on 1 slot it needs to be on both or else the 12 slot will be unusable.

Fyi when I said 12 I meant Android 12L July and 13, Android 13 August

Edit: fixed grammar and errors when accidentally hit post

My main reason for posting this is maybe it could explain why some people are having bootloops.

Last edited:
Awesome! Good luck.

You're welcome. I doubt it - a factory reset shouldn't cause that issue.

Did you see my question about if you have Zygisk enabled in Magisk's settings?
You are the man! I totally forgot to check that one thing. The last update didnt load your complete update and I overlooked the last sentence.

• Love

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Since I'm reading stuff about this, a note when I first updated to Android 13, when the other slot still had Android 12 the phone REFUSED, to switch to the Android 12 slot.
To describe it better, slot A was 12, slot B was 13, I was unable to reflash 12 bootloader on slot A even though slot A still had the 12 bootloader. Only after flashing 13 bootloader on slot A could I switch the slot to A and B freely.
A big part of experimentation before flashing 13 to both slots was to see if having the phone on 12 allowed the bootloader to be downgraded, short answer no. So if 13 bootloader is on 1 slot it needs to be on both or else the 12 slot will be unusable.

Fyi when I said 12 I meant Android 12L July and 13, Android 13 August

Edit: fixed grammar and errors when accidentally hit post
That's strange. Monday I manually flashed the full factory image of Android 13 Stable using flash-all.bat with the "-w" removed, and then Tuesday I switched slots (to the slot that still had Android 12) and did the flash-all.bat yet again.

That's strange. Monday I manually flashed the full factory image of Android 13 Stable using flash-all.bat with the "-w" removed, and then Tuesday I switched slots (to the slot that still had Android 12) and did the flash-all.bat yet again.
That's true, it will switch the slot when you type "fastboot --slot a" but if you were to do "fastboot reboot-bootloader" without flashing the 13 bootloader it would have switched back to slot b.

Top Liked Posts