How To Guide Android 13 OneUI 5.0 sideActions Logcat Fix and Workarounds

Search This thread
sideActions Workaround
Due to a logcat permission change with Android 13, apps that rely on the logcat like sideActions to get system events are broken. To get sideActions running like normal, it requires enabling one time log access after every reboot. To force the one time log access prompt for sideActions:

1. Download and install Power Button Remapper for Samsung - sideActions. Since the app is incompatible with devices upgraded to Android 13 on the Play Store, the apk will need to be sideloaded manually. Click here to download directly from Apkmirror

2. Launch the app and grant all on screen permissions to get to the Full Remapping setup screen.

3. Either connect to PC and run the .exe file or just run the following ADB commands to unlock full remapping:

pm grant com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

pm grant com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap android.permission.READ_LOGS

am force-stop com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap

IF Bixby is still installed or enabled on your device then also run:

pm disable-user com.samsung.bixby.agent

4. After running the ADB commands or the .exe file from a PC, you will notice Full Remapping is enabled next time you run sideActions. Force Stop sideActions and DISABLE all file access permissions! File access for sideActions is only needed to access the .exe file during remapping. Once you disable it, you shouldn't have to touch it again. Workaround doesn't work while app has file access.

5. Force stopping an app also disables accessibility services. While accessibility is disabled and file access denied/revoked, launch sideActions and enable the power button. You should get a prompt to enable one time access to logs. Accept the prompt and sideActions will be up and running at full. Accessibility services are turned on automatically when you enable power button and grant log access.
NOTE: If the above step doesn't work, restart your device and that should fix it. Step 5 must be completed after every device reboot to grant one time log access. Force Stop the app to stop accessibility services, launch app, toggle button on, prompt: enable one time access. Doesn't take more than 10 seconds. If you don't get the prompt to enable one time access, verify all file access is disabled!
ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS
If taking a few seconds to enable log access after every reboot isn't your cup of tea then your best options are using RegiStar (Good Lock Module) for side button long presses which is a decent alternative. The downside of RegiStar is no double tap action or haptic feedback to indicate when a long press is recognized (sideActions exclusive) which doesn't sound like much, but you'll be surprised by how much you miss it. In addition to side key long press remap, RegiStar also includes Settings Menu reordering and optional double/triple tap actions for back taps (doesn't work well with covers). Another side key remapping option is Routines+ (Good Lock Module) which adds long press and double tap button remapping to Modes and Routines. Routines+ is slow registering key commands and actions compared to all other options listed here. The easiest way to add custom double tap remapping of the side key is through the native Side Key menu under Advanced Settings which is great for launching the camera or any application. You can extend the actions available to you under the Advanced Settings Side Key menu to pretty much anything by launching the Tasker Secondary App on double press which will trigger a profile and launch a task of your choosing within Tasker. I don't know of any support for double tap and hold key combinations outside sideActions. To remap the volume buttons, any 3rd party app including Routines+ can accomplish that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dxzdxz1

_Floyd

Mar 18, 2015
Is there any alternative application where you don't have to do step 5 after every reboot?

Thank you for the instruction. I think it should be Samsung standard.

Dougmeister

Jul 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I am just a newb; @bingblop deserves all of the credit.

I should note for any other folks in my predicament... if you have experimented (and been disappointed) by Samsung's recent attempt to address this via "Good Lock" and "RegiStar", then make sure you have disbled that functionality or the above steps may not work until you do disable them.

(RegiStar: "Side-Key press and hold action", etc.)

Edit: also, I had to navigate to the folder where my adb tools were 'installed' to execute the commands. Plus, I had to add "adb shell " before each of them. Maybe that is obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me.

Reactions: bingblop
Unfortunately no. No other third party apps have come out that alter the power button on Samsung devices anywhere near as well as sideActions did.

The granting after every reboot is the best we have right now for Android 13 users. It's Googles way of being more privacy and security conscious and Samsung never provides decent alternatives with their software. I personally wouldn't mind using RegiStar if there was a way to speed up the activation time. I like being able to turn flashlight on and off in 350mS which is only that fast in sideActions. Otherwise, it's like a 1000mS.

In fact, if anybody knows how to control the Bixby button long press activation time without sideActions, I'm all ears. I'd love to understand how to alter that time for use with Samsung native apps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sideActions Workaround
    Due to a logcat permission change with Android 13, apps that rely on the logcat like sideActions to get system events are broken. To get sideActions running like normal, it requires enabling one time log access after every reboot. To force the one time log access prompt for sideActions:

1. Download and install Power Button Remapper for Samsung - sideActions. Since the app is incompatible with devices upgraded to Android 13 on the Play Store, the apk will need to be sideloaded manually. Click here to download directly from Apkmirror

2. Launch the app and grant all on screen permissions to get to the Full Remapping setup screen.

3. Either connect to PC and run the .exe file or just run the following ADB commands to unlock full remapping:

pm grant com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

pm grant com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap android.permission.READ_LOGS

am force-stop com.jamworks.sidekeybuttonremap

IF Bixby is still installed or enabled on your device then also run:

pm disable-user com.samsung.bixby.agent

4. After running the ADB commands or the .exe file from a PC, you will notice Full Remapping is enabled next time you run sideActions. Force Stop sideActions and DISABLE all file access permissions! File access for sideActions is only needed to access the .exe file during remapping. Once you disable it, you shouldn't have to touch it again. Workaround doesn't work while app has file access.

5. Force stopping an app also disables accessibility services. While accessibility is disabled and file access denied/revoked, launch sideActions and enable the power button. You should get a prompt to enable one time access to logs. Accept the prompt and sideActions will be up and running at full. Accessibility services are turned on automatically when you enable power button and grant log access.
    NOTE: If the above step doesn't work, restart your device and that should fix it. Step 5 must be completed after every device reboot to grant one time log access. Force Stop the app to stop accessibility services, launch app, toggle button on, prompt: enable one time access. Doesn't take more than 10 seconds. If you don't get the prompt to enable one time access, verify all file access is disabled!
    ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS
    If taking a few seconds to enable log access after every reboot isn't your cup of tea then your best options are using RegiStar (Good Lock Module) for side button long presses which is a decent alternative. The downside of RegiStar is no double tap action or haptic feedback to indicate when a long press is recognized (sideActions exclusive) which doesn't sound like much, but you'll be surprised by how much you miss it. In addition to side key long press remap, RegiStar also includes Settings Menu reordering and optional double/triple tap actions for back taps (doesn't work well with covers). Another side key remapping option is Routines+ (Good Lock Module) which adds long press and double tap button remapping to Modes and Routines. Routines+ is slow registering key commands and actions compared to all other options listed here. The easiest way to add custom double tap remapping of the side key is through the native Side Key menu under Advanced Settings which is great for launching the camera or any application. You can extend the actions available to you under the Advanced Settings Side Key menu to pretty much anything by launching the Tasker Secondary App on double press which will trigger a profile and launch a task of your choosing within Tasker. I don't know of any support for double tap and hold key combinations outside sideActions. To remap the volume buttons, any 3rd party app including Routines+ can accomplish that.
    I am just a newb; @bingblop deserves all of the credit.

I should note for any other folks in my predicament... if you have experimented (and been disappointed) by Samsung's recent attempt to address this via "Good Lock" and "RegiStar", then make sure you have disbled that functionality or the above steps may not work until you do disable them.

(RegiStar: "Side-Key press and hold action", etc.)

Edit: also, I had to navigate to the folder where my adb tools were 'installed' to execute the commands. Plus, I had to add "adb shell " before each of them. Maybe that is obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me.